Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

best rpm to shift at....

Old 06-13-2005, 06:05 PM
lilchief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best rpm to shift at....

hey guys, when you racing if you do when is the best time to shift? i got a 6spd manual Z and i need to know at what rpms should i shift from 1st --> 2nd --> 3rd and so own.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:09 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You just know when to shift. I've always "felt" the right spot in the RPM range. When ever I'm busting *** in the car the last thing on my mind is what RPM I'm at.

learn to feel the car it helps with both upshifts and downshifts.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:30 PM
lilchief

well should i just take it to redline? or should i shift before? what is powershifting?
Old 06-13-2005, 07:36 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any car you get in will have a point in the RPM range where you can feel the power start to fall off. For people who can't sense that point, I would just have to say shift right before redline.

And Powershifting IMO is a open term used by many people for something different.

some people will call clutchless shifts powershifting others will call a full throttle shift a powershift...

I guess it depends on what board you go on and what state you ask the person

www.google.com is always a good place to find out info on things like that. then you can figure out for yourself what you want to call it.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:47 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

36 mph 2nd gear 4k rpm
27 mph 2nd gear 3k rpm
50 mph 3rd gear 4k rpm
40 mph 3rd gear 3k rpm
67 mph 4th gear 4k rpm
80 mph 5th gear 4k rpm

Get to 4k rpm if you want power and 3k for economy. Be aware of slowing down too for example you count 1-1 thousand at 40mph and you shift and or brake down to 36 and drop the clutch in to 2nd gear and rev match to 4k drop it in no over or under rev and everything will feel right.

Later on try dropping the gears in at 5 and 5.5 rpm to practice passing.

Power shifting is not letting go of the gas while shifting up gears.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:43 PM
VQ35DEV6

I usually take it to redline, thats the best bet, sometimes a little earlier depending on my "feel". I feel more power in the higher rpms then the low

as for powershifting, that is when you never let your foot off the gas, and shift. You have to throw your clutch in real fast and out, while shifting real fast, and never let go of the throttle. I really see no difference in power shifting and shifting fast, I could shift gears without power shifting with no pause in between my shifts. Just got to do it FAST and time it right. If you think about it, when you push your clutch the throttle isn't engaged, its all about timing, Practice makes perfect, just don't get written up by the cops.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:05 AM
samw1978

racing: redline
normal driving: 2k~2.5k rpm
Old 06-14-2005, 06:04 AM
kt350z

For normal every day driving I usually shift at 3.5 to 4 K

When getting on it I usually bring it to 5.5 to redline. Shifting at 2 to 2.5 K for normal every day driving seems a little low to me.. and probably bad for the engine as well cause now you are in the lag zone .
Old 06-14-2005, 09:10 AM
engiNERD350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kt350z

When getting on it I usually bring it to 5.5 to redline. Shifting at 2 to 2.5 K for normal every day driving seems a little low to me.. and probably bad for the engine as well cause now you are in the lag zone .
So to tag onto that, anyone know if it is really bad for the engine if you shift too prematurely?
Old 06-14-2005, 09:18 AM
FindingNismo

Premature shifting? What's that? It's REDLINE all the time for me! I may be young and dumb (25), but being that this is my first car that can brake the speed limit going up hills... Drive it like i stole it is my motto! I didn't buy this car to drive it to church and back. HA
Old 06-14-2005, 09:48 AM
kamikaZ
3FIFTYZ

Really? Never heard of the "lag zone"..explain
Old 06-14-2005, 09:58 AM
kt350z

Let me re-phrase "lugging zone"

Lugging is when you are in low RPMs in 2nd gear or above and not getting full response from your accelerator. Example when you pop it in second to go through a stop sign and until the RPM's reach about the 2.2 tpo 2.5 you will not get full repsonse from the accelerator . In my humble opinion I try to avoid this condition and keep the RPM's at a minimum at 3 K or above when in 2nd gear or above.

Just my humble opinion
Old 06-14-2005, 10:06 AM
Fletch69z

Lugging is when you are in low RPMs in 2nd gear or above and not getting full response from your accelerator. Example when you pop it in second to go through a stop sign and until the RPM's reach about the 2.2 tpo 2.5 you will not get full repsonse from the accelerator . In my humble opinion I try to avoid this condition and keep the RPM's at a minimum at 3 K or above when in 2nd gear or above.

Just my humble opinion
I try to shift economically when just driving around town (note: try to) but I have done that a few times where you shift so low that there isn't a lot of power. I've had freinds that say it doesn't matter (as long as you aren't stalling out the engine) and friends who say it's really bad. Is it? I don't shift that low, I just shift and let it easily gain RPMs until about 2500 or 3000 then shift.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:52 AM
joah1660

Default Low RPM Shifting

In our owner's manual, I think it lists the recommended shifting speed per gear to get the best fuel mileage. I kind of remember the MPH per gear seemed kind of low to me. I don't think that shifting at 2000-2500 RPM is too low. Just my .02 and I will check into the listing in the manual.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Swiftraven

I usually just shift by "feel", which when I look is usually around 3.5-4k.

The engine does not seem to lug at all at 2k and above. I will get into the highest gear that keeps me at 2k or above for fuel effieciency and if I have to accelerate harder I just downshift.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:38 AM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Originally Posted by engiNERD350Z
So to tag onto that, anyone know if it is really bad for the engine if you shift too prematurely?
Yes it wears out the engine, tranny, clutch etc. Being quick and smooth is more important than fast and jerky.

Just my humble opinion
1.5k rpm is about 16 mph. You have to be delicate with rev matching to second. It's harder but you'll get the hang of it and never buckle making a right at a green light. I hardly drop it in first and rev match. That can be stressful I believe.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:43 AM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm...interesting stuff. My third generation mechanic always told me to shift at half of redline, unless your WOT... it's the efficient sweet spot. I've been driving stick for 15yrs and it's always worked. My dad likes to switch gears at a relatively low rpm.... 2-2.5 and the engine always seems to strain. I think my mechanic mentioned stress to the pistons and cylinder walls, not enough momentum and inertia caused long term bloating or stretching to these parts.
Kind of like when someone explained engine longevity to me ...an n/a engine is like a pitcher of water with a regular spout, a turbo is just a bigger spout. Eventually you will be empty, it's up to you how you arrive there.

Zquicksilver
Old 06-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Brian Will

I agree with Zquicksilver and have been driving sticks for 30 years.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:47 AM
elms350Z

By defualt Teasing the redline is always a good bet. But knowin your car and how it feels at that particular time works best for me. Sometimes taking it to redline is not the best solution at times. I agree practice makes perfect! I also shift at 2-2.5 when driving normal. But it does make sense that shifting to early can be stressfull. If you remember as a kid shifting to higher gears too early on your bike makes it harder to pedal

Last edited by elms350Z; 06-20-2005 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:53 AM
mavtais

Originally Posted by lilchief
hey guys, when you racing if you do when is the best time to shift? i got a 6spd manual Z and i need to know at what rpms should i shift from 1st --> 2nd --> 3rd and so own.
This was the original post!
lilchief, set your shift light to 6600 or 6700 RPM and then when you're racing, shift after it starts flashing at you, not before.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: best rpm to shift at....