Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Unbelievable!

Old 11-02-2002, 11:17 PM
uro279

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unbelievable!

Well guys, get this.

I already have on order a Track model due sometime within the next month or so. Well, I have not seen or driven the Z in person yet, so my brother-in-law, Sister and I decide to go to our local dealer where I know that they have Z's on the lot forsale above MSRP. How do I know this? Well, it just so happens that when I was searching for the nearest dealer who would sell me a Z for MSRP, I went first to my local dealer and was told that they are selling the Z for $5000.00 above. To make matters worse, at that time we were looking for two cars and offered to buy a Altima and Z if they would sell us the Z for MSRP. They said NO! Needless to say, I am getting my car for MSRP at another dealer.

Back to the recent story. I go back to my recent dealer to see the Z-incredible! Beautiful on the outside and elegant in its simplicity on the inside. Quality seems good to me. Well, we talk to a salesman about the cost of their base model and tell him that we want to trade in a Grand Jeep Cherokee. We have appraised the value of the car through Kelly Blue Book to be appx. $14,000.00. Well, after checking our credit and checking on our trade-in value, he comes back with a figure of $34,000.00 for the Z base model and $9,500.00 for our Jeep!!! Unbelievable!!!! To make matters worse, before giving us the value of the Jeep, he told us that he would give us the 'Market Value' for the Jeep. Yeah right!!! Talk about gouging! We could have bought another car with the total of $13,000.00 that we would have been out if we would have taken this deal!!! The amazing part was that there were people there who seemed serious to buy the car at that price!

After all this occurred, it had taken them so long to get the credit approved and price figures that we did not have time to drive the car. Next time we will!

Just in case anyone lives where I do in Redding, CA, the gouging dealers name is Shasta Nissan on Cypress Street. Avoid them like the plague! My dealer who is charging me MSRP for the track model is Shingle Springs Nissan in Shingle Springs, CA. They have been great and professional and I recommend anyone in Northern CA to call them to place an order.
Old 11-03-2002, 07:16 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

You should NEVER tell the saleman that you have a car to trade up front. Wait until you nail them down on a solid price for the new car. Make sure you have it in writing (signed by the sales MANAGER) first. THEN say, "By the way, how much will you give me for my Jeep?".

This way, they can't raise the new car price to accomodate a trade. Never give them MORE ways to manipulate their profit than you have to!
Old 11-03-2002, 07:22 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

or better yet, sell the car yourself, you can always get more, and ussually you can get enough that the whole tax break still comes out to less.
Old 11-03-2002, 12:05 PM
uro279

I think I confused you guys. We were just 'feeling-out' and 'testing' the dealer to see what scumb bags they really are.

Yes, I do know not to state that we have a trade right up front. We just wanted to get a ballpark estimate of what they were thingking to offer. We were never serious on buying a car at this particular dealer. Besides, they can't screw us since we already know what all the figures should be. We did it just to catch them in their BS. They were far worse than we thought.

As for selling the car on our own, we have been trying for quite awhile. We have it advertised in autotrader and have lowered the price two times with no results. So we decided to 'see' what they would give us on a trade in.

Hope this clears up some confusion. It was very interesting, shocking, yet fun to mess with these guys. They don't deserve one sale.
Old 11-03-2002, 12:57 PM
NissaNZ

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
You should NEVER tell the saleman that you have a car to trade up front. Wait until you nail them down on a solid price for the new car. Make sure you have it in writing (signed by the sales MANAGER) first. THEN say, "By the way, how much will you give me for my Jeep?".

This way, they can't raise the new car price to accomodate a trade. Never give them MORE ways to manipulate their profit than you have to!
That's kind of hard to do since they always ask you beforehand if you have a trade-in. I always lie and say I don't then I bring it up later but it's kind of weird, but I guess it's OK to lie to a liar.
Old 11-03-2002, 02:19 PM
TriX

Best is to call a few dealers in advance. This way you get a general idea. Ask about what sort of premiums are on the new model. They should tell you.
Old 11-03-2002, 02:21 PM
WayneTN

Default don't ask - don't tell

Originally posted by NissaNZ
That's kind of hard to do since they always ask you beforehand if you have a trade-in. I always lie and say I don't then I bring it up later but it's kind of weird, but I guess it's OK to lie to a liar.
You can always say that you haven't decided how you're going to pay for it. Don't tell them you're trading and don't tell them you're paying cash either!

WayneTN
Old 11-03-2002, 02:42 PM
uro279

Don't tell them you're trading and don't tell them you're paying cash either!
Why is it bad to tell them you'll be paying cash upfront?
Old 11-03-2002, 03:53 PM
cotmfk

Originally posted by uro279
Why is it bad to tell them you'll be paying cash upfront?
It's bad to tell them cash up front because they make money on financing, too. So, they can afford to give you a slightly lower price if you are financing.
Old 11-03-2002, 03:54 PM
cotmfk

They don't deserve one sale.
You know, what would be funny to do is to bring back your Z when you get it, with the 30 day tags on it. Talk to the guy who was trying to sell you the Z at the bad dealer, and his manager, and shove it in their face how you paid a lot less, and how they lost a sale, etc...
Old 11-03-2002, 03:59 PM
Aloharacing

Default Re: Unbelievable!

Just in case anyone lives where I do in Redding, CA, the gouging dealers name is Shasta Nissan on Cypress Street. Avoid them like the plague! My dealer who is charging me MSRP for the track model is Shingle Springs Nissan in Shingle Springs, CA. They have been great and professional and I recommend anyone in Northern CA to call them to place an order.
I grew up 5 minutes from Shingle Springs Nissan. Don't tell me you're gonna have to drive all the way there and back from Redding!
Old 11-03-2002, 04:36 PM
uro279

Default Re: Re: Unbelievable!

Originally posted by Aloharacing
I grew up 5 minutes from Shingle Springs Nissan. Don't tell me you're gonna have to drive all the way there and back from Redding!
That's exactly what I'm doing! Good way to break in the Z, huh?!