Winter worries? Forget em.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 03:48 PM
pooch15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Winter worries? Forget em.

I had two main worries before using the car this Winter:

1) Grip and handling in the snow.
2) Frozen windows preventing the doors from opening.

Its been snowing for the past three days and I’m happy to say this car is great.

The handling and grip are 100 times better than expected. The combination of the 53/47 weight distribution, good tires like the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22, and the not overly sensitive traction control make this car very easy to drive in the snow. I must have put on about 400 miles this weekend without a single close call or problem.

Tonight I came home after spending the day at a friends house. Snow fell on my warm car for about 4 hours covering it completely. The snow had a chance to melt and then freeze on both side windows. When I pull the door handle I noticed that the window was completely frozen and had not lowered at all. I slowly opened the door and to my surprise the glass cleared the roof lip without any contact. Once in the car I tried to lower each window and they didn’t move an inch (would be the case with any car in these conditions). When I got home I opened the frozen passenger door with the same result.

Conclusion, I wasted $ 400.00 on a remote starter and I know I’ll have a great Winter.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:42 PM
MacGuru

Default Re: Winter worries? Forget em.

Originally posted by pooch15

Conclusion, I wasted $ 400.00 on a remote starter and I know I’ll have a great Winter. [/B]
Why a waste on the remote starter? Did I miss something in your statement above? I am considering getting a remote starter. Thanks. -m
Old 12-01-2002, 07:22 PM
WashUJon

That's very reassuring news! Thanks a lot for posting info to raise our confidence levels.
Old 12-02-2002, 02:46 AM
pooch15

Default Re: Re: Winter worries? Forget em.

Originally posted by MacGuru
Why a waste on the remote starter? Did I miss something in your statement above? I am considering getting a remote starter. Thanks. -m
My main reason for getting the remote starter was to warm the car enough to easily de-ice it on those days when we have freezing rain because I thought the door would not open if the window didn’t lower. I’m still happy though with the convenience of a warm car on a cold day.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:35 AM
350zLord
Banned

Hey,
I heard from a friend that if you have a remote starter it is easier to break into your car. Also he said that scince these cars only start when the actual key is in the car due to the chip or something when installing a remote starter you need to keep a key in the car somewhere.

IS THIS TRUE

I dont know how reliable his source is.

thanks
Old 12-02-2002, 06:32 AM
pooch15

I don’t see how the car becomes easier to get into. The remote starter replaces the Nissan door opener so it’s no more or less secure.

As far as leaving a key inside the vehicle, this is true. They take the valet key (the one with the brown/burgundy plastic base) and cut off the part which would normally go into the ignition switch and place the base with the security chip inside the car.

I suppose this makes it easier to steal for a pro but not for the average flunky scumbag. Besides, it’s my understanding that a guy who really knows what he’s doing will get around any security feature
Old 12-02-2002, 06:36 AM
350zLord
Banned

thank you very much as i said my source is not that reliable and now i am thinking of getting a remote starter.

any suggestions
Old 12-02-2002, 07:04 AM
padam07

I was going to drive the car through the crappy weather but I told my seldf to bu a cheap car for the bad days nad keep the Z in the garage when the roads are bad. I bought a 1995 Nissan Maxima GXE for $3700. It is a nice clean high mileage car. 186,000 miles, auto, dark grey exterior, alpine 6 disc cd changer, moon roof.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:22 AM
jozero

Hello,

I can compare the difference between the stock tires and winter ones (Pirelli Wintersport). The DAY I picked up my car it snowed then thawed just enough the roads were extremely icy.

For the week my winter tires were not in I was all over the place, coming from a rear drive 240sx it was surprising to say the least. 6 days later I had my winter tires and it is a WORLD of difference. Night and day.

The Z is a fine winter car, but I do miss the instant fun I had in the 240 around corners (unless I turn off the VDC). The VDC is impressive, it took a while to get used to as it was just annoying coming from something with no auto control. Pure winter tires are also
better than all season's in my opinion.

It is lower however, and we've yet to have a good snow fall. I just need to put a shovel in the back.

Jot
Old 12-02-2002, 08:26 AM
jozero

Default Standard vs. automatic

I've seen other posts as well where people ask if a automatic is easier to drive in the winter than a standard.

I've driven both extensively in the winter, and I strongly believe a standard is way better in the winter than a automatic.

You get to control the power to the wheels if you're stuck, so it makes it easier to get out.
In heavy snow condition in my old 240 I was able to rock back and forth with controlled power to the wheels to get out.

Also I find shifting down to slow down in very icy condition better than applying the brakes and locking the tires.

Jot
Old 12-02-2002, 08:50 AM
pooch15

Originally posted by 350zLord
thank you very much as i said my source is not that reliable and now i am thinking of getting a remote starter.

any suggestions
You're welcome.

Mine is from a Canadian company called Premier Defense System. (spelled with an S)

Web site under construction http://www.premierdefense.com/

tel: 1-888-55-start (might be only for Canada)

It's a model two.5M for a manual transmission. I think the prices are cheaper in Canada because of the large demand. Mine was a little over $400.00 CDN installed by Nissan. For automatics, in my area they can be installed for around $150.00 CDN.

There are a lot of model available depending on the distance range you're looking for.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:01 AM
pooch15

Originally posted by ImmortalisD
Just out of curiosity, did you ever drive the car in foul weather with the stock tires? There have been numerous threads about them being extremly bad in snow, and I wonder if you can vouch for the big improvement with just a tire change.

Since you got a remote starter, I assume you have an automatic, do you think this in any way makes driving in the snow easier?
I left the car home for about a week until my special order tires arrived. On two occasions I went out and got stuck for 15 minutes trying to get out of a flat driveway which was icy. There is ABSOLUTELY NO COMPARISON BETWEEN THE SUMMER TIRES AND THE LM-22s.

My car is a six speed manual and I would think it's a little easier to drive than an automatic because you can clutch to resume control and you can shift 1 to 3 to keep the rpms down or make 2nd gear starts at icy intersections. Also, my previous car was an automatic Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG with 302 HP & 302 ft/lb torque and a very sensitive traction control system. It was nowhere near as good in the snow as the Z.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:00 AM
fatZo

There is ABSOLUTELY NO COMPARISON BETWEEN THE SUMMER TIRES AND THE LM-22s.

Salut Pooch15,

I was hoping that you would make a statement to the contrary. I don't have winter tires, and find the Z to be absolutely helpless on icy roads. It's actually dangerous to drive and I'm avoiding any winter driving at all costs. C'est probablement une bonne chose pour le Z Je contemplais d'cheter des pneus d'hiver pour mon Z mais je pense que je vais carrement eviter de conduire pendant l'hiver.
Old 12-02-2002, 02:04 PM
bobbyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an appointment for tomorrow at the dealer to install the LM22's that the Firestone center was scared to install. I'll also get my first oil change while I'm there.
Old 12-02-2002, 02:09 PM
lowbeeZ

bobbyz,

Which dealer are you taking your Z to ?
Old 12-02-2002, 03:28 PM
commasense

Default Not easier to break into, easier to steal

I don’t see how the car becomes easier to get into. The remote starter replaces the Nissan door opener so it’s no more or less secure.

As far as leaving a key inside the vehicle, this is true. They take the valet key (the one with the brown/burgundy plastic base) and cut off the part which would normally go into the ignition switch and place the base with the security chip inside the car.

I suppose this makes it easier to steal for a pro but not for the average flunky scumbag. Besides, it’s my understanding that a guy who really knows what he’s doing will get around any security feature
My understanding of the Vehicle Immobilizer System (page 5-7 of the owner's manual) is that the engine won't start unless the chip is in proximity of the ignition switch.

So if an average scumbag breaks in and tries to jimmy the ignition switch with a dent-puller and screwdriver, he shouldn't even be able to start my car. But he may get yours, because you've thoughtfully left the chip inside.

At least that's what the manual claims. Does anyone know how well the immobilizer works?

BTW, off topic, but if you really want to get paranoid about where this technology is going, check out: http://www.nocards.org/AutoID/overview.shtml

I don't mind it when it's protecting my $35,000 car, but when it lets stores (and who knows who else) know where I bought everything I'm wearing and everything in my pockets, it's gone too far.

You may say, Who cares if they know I'm wearing Gap jeans? I say, it's none of their damn business!
Old 12-03-2002, 04:36 AM
bobbyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is at Willowdale Nissan.
There is also another Silverstone there. I have the rear spoiler and this one doesnt (both Canadian Performance). Go and tell them that you were sent to make sure that they do not scratch my rims . They also have some G35C's there. Very nice car and dare I say better value and even a "better car" then the Z...but the Z is still the car for me. The Z is just way more exotic looking. Anyway, go tell them how fanatic I am about them not scratching my rims. I'm picking up around lunch so get a move on .
Old 12-03-2002, 09:50 AM
S8ER95Z

You can pratically drive anything in the snow with Blizzacks! There is no big surprise there! Hell Mustang guys drive on them through the snow quite often..and I know a Mustang would get stuck before your cars... Hardly any weight in back, notorious for poor performance in the snow.

Quick Reply: Winter worries? Forget em.