Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speed limiter removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Z-Lust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thezedsled
It frightens me that you need this explained to you. No offense but this should be common sense at the very least. You can disable the rev limiter all you want and the very worst thing that will happen is a blown motor but the speed limiter is another matter entirely. The reason cars are speed limited from the factory is because when these cars are designed and engineered they also conduct extensive testing to determine the vehicles maximum safe speed. While the car may be capable of going a certain speed there is often a point where it becomes unsafe and once they determine what that maximum safe speed is they place a limiter there so that you do not exceed it by accident. The Z is no land speed record setter and would most likely be very unsafe at that high of speed without significant modifications to it's coefficient drag profile. Not to mention at that speed if anything goes wrong you are guaranteed to die and may even take a few other people out with you! Something like a pothole or deep crack in the road or perhaps some debris on the road or even a simple tire blowout would spell a death sentence for you. The room for error decreases in parallel with the increase of speed. Just because the car can go faster doesn't mean it can do it safely...

dude you sound dumb as hell

what you are an engineer with nissan? or you just pretend to be one?
Old 02-10-2006, 07:01 PM
dscheers

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

...You can disable the rev limiter all you want and the very worst thing that will happen is a blown motor ...or perhaps some debris on the road ...
I'd actually rather drive over some debris at high speed than blow my engine at a more moderate speed which might result in locking rear wheels, brake and steering assist going out, enormous forces to the left or right front of the car, ...
Old 02-10-2006, 07:03 PM
dscheers

Some new BMWs actually have 2 Speed Limiters: one electronic and one built into the drive-by-wire system, at a higher speed. Latter is a b!tch to disable !
Old 02-10-2006, 09:10 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You could not be more wrong my friend. Other countries use speed limiters too, I know this because I have been to them and have owned and driven vehicles in them. I currently hold a drivers license for Japan, Australia, Korea, Hong Kong and Thailand. So I speak to you from experience when I say that almost every country uses speed limiters these days. The reason why the speed limiter is enforced more on all vehicles sold in the US whether they are made here or imported is because we have higher safety standards than some other countries when it comes to automobiles. For instance we require shatter resistant glass on all vehicles sold where as many other countries like Japan for example does not. You can get it as an option but it is not required. We also require every motor vehicle sold to be equipped with seat belts but some other countries like Korea do not. And the speed limiter is not 155MPH for all vehicles as you say, do your homework and you will see. The Ford GT is a perfect example as it is made and sold right here in the good ol U.S. of A. and it is limited at 220MPH, not 155MPH. And the reason why is simple, because it can safely go that fast.

Now that I have cleared that up let me retype what I said previously in a format that will be a bit easier for your brain to digest. I did not say that it isn't capable of going faster than the limited 155MPH. What I did say is that it is not capable of doing it safely and that is why they limited it to 155MPH.

Now, you do your research and then post. Thanks
Wow, talk about posting three times without getting anything across. I dont care if you have a license in 80 billion countries retard. The speed limiters are put forth because of government regulations not vehicle restrictions. The ford GT is a RACE CAR that is made for the street. The US car manufacturers have to give it a high speed limiter because its a supercar. Do you know what a supercar is? A ...B....C.... 1 2 3's. High powered vehicles can easily go upto those speeds, its usually around what the speedometer says. They are capable of it and are very smooth at those speeds. The government will always restrict things like speed, sound, smog, etc. So your saying our vehicles naturally emit no smog? No, the government regulates it and makes the manufacturer install catalytic converters. Next time, dont open your mouth with all that bull**** in it.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:21 PM
andyisphat2004

either way, unless you are registering for nascar, why do you need to go faster than 159 mph.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:57 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^Thats my exact question. Most people on this board, probably can't handle going more than 120mph in a straight line and how often or where is that going to happen?

I hit 135 in my Honda Prelude once... that was pretty scary, even in a straight line. I also hit 110 mph on a track straighaway and almost lost it into a steel wall because my tires locked up.

Unless you can handle it, which I'm sure a lot of you cannot, there is no reason to worry about something so silly as disabling a speed limiter that your never going to see.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:46 PM
350z bra

so um.. how bout them lakers?
Old 02-10-2006, 11:47 PM
1sneaky350z

damn, i posted this question a few hours ago and look at all the answers. if we are all enthusiats who "soup up" our cars with blowers nos turbos etc for maximum horsepower wouldent it seem that we want to go fast? what is the point of having alot of hp if you dont use it? my car shuts down at 150mph that is not enough for me, i do that on the way to work. i have entered into the aka rally. it is a run across america in some of the eastern states there are alot of open rodes for miles and miles, i want to open my car up.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:57 PM
1sneaky350z

i believe that the question was how to remove it i dont care about i should or not. so when you girls are done argueing if ne 1 knows how to actually do it let me know. the car has z rated tires on touge wheels a 50 shot nos kit and a cold air intake. the event is in june and i will have a procharger in it by then. prochargers computer program does not elimanate it. i also have tien coilovers with a vis bodykit. the car is well capable of speeds that i want to reach. this is my first "tuner car" so i am still learning.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:56 AM
ZROCKET

Originally Posted by Armitage
^Thats my exact question. Most people on this board, probably can't handle going more than 120mph in a straight line and how often or where is that going to happen?

I hit 135 in my Honda Prelude once... that was pretty scary, even in a straight line. I also hit 110 mph on a track straighaway and almost lost it into a steel wall because my tires locked up.

Unless you can handle it, which I'm sure a lot of you cannot, there is no reason to worry about something so silly as disabling a speed limiter that your never going to see.
I had my 95 300ZX NA up to 145mph on 95N going to Indian Springs, before I said to myself what the heck am I doing? The car was very stable and hunkered down to the road.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:04 AM
vitalya_af

I never hit more than 130 on 350Z.
And it was cause I was very sleepy and a little bid....you know....late
On my diAmante I used to have there is a sped limit set up to 120!!!!!whatdaheck?!?!?!
It was actually less then that...I think it ws about 118...117. Anyways. That wasn't that car's limit. It was at 4000RPM!!!!! And its redline is 8000!!!!!
It was also very stable no matter of those soft shocks and springs it has and very lousy steering. OK, I agree with 159MPH limit. I think that was the right thing to do. But 120.....**** that!!!!
Old 02-11-2006, 01:10 AM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1sneaky350z
i believe that the question was how to remove it i dont care about i should or not. so when you girls are done argueing if ne 1 knows how to actually do it let me know. the car has z rated tires on touge wheels a 50 shot nos kit and a cold air intake. the event is in june and i will have a procharger in it by then. prochargers computer program does not elimanate it. i also have tien coilovers with a vis bodykit. the car is well capable of speeds that i want to reach. this is my first "tuner car" so i am still learning.
You need to get a reflash or use a product like the one dscheers linked in post #19.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:02 PM
1sneaky350z

yeah i have seen those products. thats why i asked if ne one has ever installed them. i am a verry competint installer but dont feel like cutting a bunch of wires in my ride. i tend to lean twards plug and play i like connectors. as for the reflash i live in palm springs if u cant get in pepboys youre screwed. ill drive to get it done though. could i go to the dealer and slip him a few dollars on the lo lo?
Old 02-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Escobar

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Anyone who has hit the speed limiter before knows the Z is perfectly stable all the way up to the limiter. I'm not sure how the car would do with 10+ mph because I haven't done it but I wouldnt expect any catastrophic changes. It wouldn't be a bad idea to install a roll cage if you plan on seeing much of those speeds, though.[/quote]
+1, I have hit 135 a few times and 155 and the Z was very stable. It didnt even really feel that fast. I would think the Z could handle the 170s with slight mods.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:02 PM
dscheers

I've hit 185 MPH (tacho read 298 KPH) ONCE and kept the car there for about 30 secs until I realised I was not going to hit the 300 mark (and my nerves gave in yoo). It was a Supra TT with lots of mods like wider ZR Y tires and suspension and it was still WAY SCARY. It was late at night on the German AutoBahn between the Swiss border and Strasbourg, 4 straight lanes each direction of pool table flat asphalt.
At that speed, the sides of road in not so far distance converge, the road seems to become narrower and ends in a point. Some kind of optical illusion, just like the light poles that all of a sudden appear to form a metal wall next to the road.
While I was passing cars 2 lanes right of me, I realised that if something happens, something gets in your way, you have absolutely no change of reacting, let alone slowing down the car. Expert car accident analysts use a standard reaction time of 1.5 secs. Let's cut this to 1/3 since we know we're going fast and the adrenaline is pumping. 0.5 secs at 185 MPH = 136 feet travelled, just to react. (it would take about another 0.2 secs in movement time to slam the brakes). Even at 155 MPH, 0.5 secs would still equal 114 feet...
Old 02-11-2006, 08:35 PM
crapstick

Originally Posted by roast
thezedsled: Let us not talk about brains digesting anything since yours is obviously having problems of its own.

You are arguing a moot point. It's obvious to everyone that speed limiters are for exactly what the name implies; TO LIMIT SPEED. The 350z without a speed&rev limiter would be drag limited, not gear limited, so there is no chance of blowing your motor. I have no idea where you pulled that idea from. Wait a second, yes I do. The same place your head is. I will also rebut another one of your failed arguments. The 155 limiter has nothing to do with extensive testing on a particular car. It's an agreement with manufacturers to limit speed to a common value, for several reasons... not simply because a particular car can't safely go faster. Another turd out of your mouth is about the coefficient of drag affecting safety. Where are you getting this crap? You are uneducated at best. The coefficient of drag by itself has absolutely NO impact on safety at high speeds. It doesn't matter if a car has a terrible cd, if it has a lack of lift and sufficient downforce it will be safe. You are also mistaken about the FORD GT. It is electronically limited to 205, not 255.

What a joke.

My question to the poster is, at which event do you plan on seeing 159 on the speedo? For some reason I'm not seeing that happen unless you have done modifications, which I doubt because if you had done modifications you probably would have removed the limiter already.

The tires are the biggest safety issue with high speeds, but the stock tires are W rated which means they are rated up to 168 (actual speed) so you do have a little room for more speed on stock tires. Anyone who has hit the speed limiter before knows the Z is perfectly stable all the way up to the limiter. I'm not sure how the car would do with 10+ mph because I haven't done it but I wouldnt expect any catastrophic changes. It wouldn't be a bad idea to install a roll cage if you plan on seeing much of those speeds, though.
Um..... did you just say that there is no way to blow your motor after removing the rev limiter? Drag doesnt affect RPM's. I don't really agree with everything he said but thezedsled was only talking about the rev limiter not the speed limiter when he said you could blow your motor. I guarantee I could blow a motor without a rev limiter.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:45 PM
bleunetizen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont complain too much.. jdm cars got 180kph speed limit, thats like 110mph..
Old 02-11-2006, 11:19 PM
1sneaky350z

What kind of an idiot would want to remove the rev limiter on an engine with a stock bottom end? even then the torque falls off at like 6400 rpm why would u want to even rev higher? to see who could ship a piston farther? hell it sounds like everyone is scared to go fast. my 02 honda cbr 1000 with a turbo went over 200 all the time. i cant tell for sure how fast but with the gearing it pegged the speedo at 180 in 5th and it was a six speed.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:14 AM
350doc

Many German cars are limited to 155mph; this arose from a 'gentleman's agreement' between the German manufacturers (apart from Porsche) to limit the cars to 155 mph (250 kmh). It isn't set to the perceived nor actual limits of individual cars. Some Japanese manufactuers also place to 155 limit on their cars to tie in with the European Union market (JDM models are limited to a lower speed).

The tire speed rating is something different, and this should not be exceeded, as this is the speed the tire has been tested to.

In Europe, some people are not sure whether there is actually a limiter fitted. Some NA people have hit an indicated 160 (155 mph on GPS), and I know of one turbocharged owner who has exceeded an indicated 160, without removing the speed limiter.

It frightens me that you need this explained to you. No offense but this should be common sense at the very least. You can disable the rev limiter all you want and the very worst thing that will happen is a blown motor but the speed limiter is another matter entirely. The reason cars are speed limited from the factory is because when these cars are designed and engineered they also conduct extensive testing to determine the vehicles maximum safe speed. While the car may be capable of going a certain speed there is often a point where it becomes unsafe and once they determine what that maximum safe speed is they place a limiter there so that you do not exceed it by accident. The Z is no land speed record setter and would most likely be very unsafe at that high of speed without significant modifications to it's coefficient drag profile. Not to mention at that speed if anything goes wrong you are guaranteed to die and may even take a few other people out with you! Something like a pothole or deep crack in the road or perhaps some debris on the road or even a simple tire blowout would spell a death sentence for you. The room for error decreases in parallel with the increase of speed. Just because the car can go faster doesn't mean it can do it safely...

Last edited by 350doc; 02-12-2006 at 04:25 AM.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:51 PM
Nismo 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude if you want to remove your speed limiter then get a TS reflash. Now thezsled, your points are all wrong. Cars like the Ford GT are supercars and they are designed for 200+ mph. When was the last time you saw a supercar that was limited to 160mph? Now I know the Z is not a super car but still I would rather have the speed limit removed knowing that I myself would never hit speeds above 120 on the street. Now if I wanna do a top speed run, then take it to the track. Before I reflashed I personally hit 145 on the Fontana Speedway with the stock potenza's and she was stable as a rock. The coeffieient drag and areodynamics of the car are really good as most of you know. The Z uses aero lift to hold it stable at high speeds. And you were saying the engineering aspects and testing? Thats all B.S. The Ford GT is not limited to 220 mph that's what the manufactuers claim. I have seen different top speed's ranging from 205 to 212mph. Also look at all the Ferrari's. All the Ferrari's that are sold in the US are limited by REDLINE. Not drag or electronically limited. And they all have different top speed from 170-218mph. The Z without its top speed limiter can hit 175-180 easliy and I am sure it can hold its own with upgraded tires.

Quick Reply: speed limiter removal