Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*THIS* close to purchasing an '03, could I please get some assistance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Sea Bass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *THIS* close to purchasing an '03, could I please get some assistance?

Long time lurker, but I think this is my first post. I love Zs, I think I've studied all there is to know, but I have made a conditional purchase on a stock '03 with leather seats, VLSD, VDC (no trim levels in Canada like in the US) and some feedback would be welcome.

Regarding the tire feathering common on 03 and 04 Zs, is there anything I can do, aside from take it into Nissan and have them adjust the toe, or other settings? Will my modding the suspension with either the Nismo kit, or another brand but also using adj. control arms help this at all?

Also, the car drove perfectly, but I noticed a fair bit of tire noise, more than I remember from when I drove an '06. Is this a by-product of the stock potenzas, or what? I'm planning on getting better rims and rubber early on, and I want to know if that will kill the tire noise, or if there's something else I can do about it.

Anything else I should be on the lookout for before I actually go ahead and do the deed? Normally I would search till the cows came home, but I'm actually in the process of moving out right now and I need to be off the laptop, so I'm asking you guys to give me a hand with anything else I need to worry about.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-14-2006, 02:01 PM
MJBsZ

I bought a lifetime alignment from firestone and get my tires aligned at least 2 times a year (I have an '03 by the way) Since that time, I have not noticed any feathering. As for an upgraded suspension, I'm not too sure what will fix the feather or at least minimize it.

Check to see if the recall on the fuel filler line was done. Also look (rather listen) for any tranny problems like grinding which may mean you need a new one. Also, check the window motors. My driver side recently crapped out and I am stuck needing a new one. This is a pretty common problem on all Zs. There are some other TSB things like axle clicking and such but nothing too major.

Otherwise my car has been great, not perfect, but great. I say get it checked out by a mechanic and go for it. Good luck and keep us posted on what you do.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:03 PM
MJBsZ

By the way, the tire noise is probaby from feathering. Turn your wheel all the way to one side and look at the inside edge of the front tires. If they are worn such that some sections are raised and others are not, then they are feathered. You can also feel the difference by running your hand along the inside edge of the tire.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:48 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have car checked over by mechanic you trust
Old 10-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Cannysage

i wouldn't take my chance on a 03. nothing earlier than a 05
Old 10-14-2006, 03:11 PM
highside107

Originally Posted by Cannysage
+1, you never know what kind of problems you may run into.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:29 PM
Peking

Originally Posted by Z Phil
Long time lurker, but I think this is my first post. I love Zs, I think I've studied all there is to know, but I have made a conditional purchase on a stock '03 with leather seats, VLSD, VDC (no trim levels in Canada like in the US) and some feedback would be welcome.
Regarding the tire feathering common on 03 and 04 Zs, is there anything I can do, aside from take it into Nissan and have them adjust the toe, or other settings? Will my modding the suspension with either the Nismo kit, or another brand but also using adj. control arms help this at all?
Also, the car drove perfectly, but I noticed a fair bit of tire noise, more than I remember from when I drove an '06. Is this a by-product of the stock potenzas, or what? I'm planning on getting better rims and rubber early on, and I want to know if that will kill the tire noise, or if there's something else I can do about it.
Anything else I should be on the lookout for before I actually go ahead and do the deed? Normally I would search till the cows came home, but I'm actually in the process of moving out right now and I need to be off the laptop, so I'm asking you guys to give me a hand with anything else I need to worry about.
Thanks in advance!
Sent ya a PM bud (also great to see you here and welcome), and don't worry about buying a used 03... Not any significant changes from 03-04... And with 05 you could have had the 300 HP (Top Trim Level only if I remember correctly) motor but eh...

Nothing some bolt-ons wouldn't fix

-Jonathan-
Old 10-14-2006, 03:54 PM
"Z"orilla

Originally Posted by Cannysage

I have an 03 and have not had the first problem with it. Th eonly time it has been in the shop was for the factory recall for the fuel hose. Nissan has built a quality car and an 03 is a good car. You can also make a better deal on an 03 than a newer model. It's a good idea to always check out a used car with a mechanic prior to purchasing, but i would not shy away from an 03 simply because of the production year!
Old 10-14-2006, 04:21 PM
MJBsZ

Originally Posted by "Z"orilla

I have an 03 and have not had the first problem with it. Th eonly time it has been in the shop was for the factory recall for the fuel hose. Nissan has built a quality car and an 03 is a good car. You can also make a better deal on an 03 than a newer model. It's a good idea to always check out a used car with a mechanic prior to purchasing, but i would not shy away from an 03 simply because of the production year!

Agreed. Why the bias against the '03? Mine has been great thus far and I drive it daily. A few minor problems but problems that have been evident in every year for the most part (05's included)
Old 10-14-2006, 04:28 PM
Ztalker

03s are fine.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Xtrem350Z

when i bought my 03 track, i had the same problem with road noise, very big problem, but it was cause the back tires were worn from the inside. i bought some 19's and new rubber, noise all gone!!
Old 10-14-2006, 06:10 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome. Concerning tire feathering, this is the reference: https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/15758-tire-feathering-fyi.html. If you cannot find the answer here, than there is no answer.

Some tires make more noise than others.

The 2003 350Z has brought hundreds of thousands of problem free miles to many owners. No vehicle is risk free. Pay your money and roll the dice.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:02 PM
Sea Bass

Thanks, everyone. I did some quick checking around on the internet just to compare prices and availability here in Ontario (Canada, not California), and I seem to be getting a good deal (I did talk them down quite a bit, and they're giving me better than excellent Canadian Black Book value for my car).

I'm going to call Nissan Canada on Monday to ask them about how to get tire feathering and the fuel hose issues taken care of on a car that is being purchased used. I'm getting a fairly comprehensive 2 year, 40k km warranty on the car, as well, so I feel pretty comfortable as far as things go.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:21 AM
NaNa-Papa-J

Good Deal!! Just make sure you have checked it out thoroughly (the tranny, the fuel filler, etc) and if it all looks good then you should be fine. I have an 03 and I've loved it. The Z has a couple of nuances but just tiny things. You can definately get a good deal on a great 03. Go for it! AND ENJOY!!