Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Gas gauge inaccuracy

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 06:00 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Recalls and TSB's are two entirely different matters when it comes to who pays for them. I still have not seen a recall for this problem.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:09 PM
fastturbinejets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default easy fix

Originally Posted by ray427
Gas gauge reads about 1/4 tank, i fill up with 9 gallons. anyone hae this problem before. ALSO, does anyone use the dte gauge and if so how accurate would you rate it?

2003 touring 6 speed

I have the 2004 350 convertible. I also got tired of never knowing what the real amount of gas in my tank was. The 350z has two fuel level sensors. Both are behind the seats. One is behind the Sub woofer and the other is under the glove box. disconnect the battery to avoid spark and blowing yourself up. Remove the driver side sensor by taking off and unplugging the connector, removing 8 screws. Pull the sensor out and remove the float switch arm and cover over the sensor. Take a q-tip and some alcohol and clean the contacts where the contact arm travels. Do the same to the other side. The passenger side is a little more tricky because it has the fuel pump in it as well. Keep plenty of rags on hand to clean up the gas. Good Luck!

Ed
Old 01-19-2011, 03:13 PM
3fifteez

what he said ^^^^^ i did this and it works great...only cost me 12$ for 2 new o-rings ( must replace) and a couple q-tips. gas guage works like new!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:27 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by maximariceboi
revisting this thread again......

im sick and tired of this fuel issue...only filling up 12-13 gallons max when empty....is this still a recall? or im sh*t out of luck....i saw this thread about 2yrs ago...
Are you sure its empty? Is it not taking gas, or is the fuel gauge off and it actually has 7 to 8 gallons left. If i fill mine when DTE is ZERO it fill 15 gallons. I just drive and extra 100 miles and fill 18 gallons.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:18 AM
vics350z

Originally Posted by fastturbinejets
I have the 2004 350 convertible. I also got tired of never knowing what the real amount of gas in my tank was. The 350z has two fuel level sensors. Both are behind the seats. One is behind the Sub woofer and the other is under the glove box. disconnect the battery to avoid spark and blowing yourself up. Remove the driver side sensor by taking off and unplugging the connector, removing 8 screws. Pull the sensor out and remove the float switch arm and cover over the sensor. Take a q-tip and some alcohol and clean the contacts where the contact arm travels. Do the same to the other side. The passenger side is a little more tricky because it has the fuel pump in it as well. Keep plenty of rags on hand to clean up the gas. Good Luck!

Ed
I like your answer Sir!!!! and if you are mechanically challenged then just light a match on yourself and get done with it LOL
Old 01-21-2011, 07:28 PM
johnchoi116

Originally Posted by fastturbinejets

Ed
Does anyone have pictures of the fuel sensors on both sides? Also, if you could show me what parts to clean with alcohol, that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:56 AM
maclem8223

I'd like to put my two cents in on this one. For anyone that is weary of trying this simple diy please don't be. It was stupid simple! Just pay close attention on the passenger side that includes the fuel pump as it is a tight fit. I bought my Z a month ago knowing it had this issue and did my research and found the diy. This one from the G driver forum...
http://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/2...irdness-6.html Just did it this morning; took less than hour and I'm happy to say that my gas guage after just filling up now reads beyond full about an 1/8th! First time I've seen that. I didn't replace the O-rings simply because I didn't feel it necessary after removing them and inspected for cracks and what not in the rubber; they seemed fine to me. It seems to be a simple issue of the floater arms over time getting stuck and not being able to travel the full way up and down. Anyway I'd much rather spend an hour in the garage if this happens again than buying new units!!! Again, just my .02 cents but this was easy.
P.S. Anyone in the Orange County area with this issue yet still hesitant to try the diy; shoot me a pm and I'll be happy to help out. Need to meet up with new people in the local area anyway!

Last edited by maclem8223; 01-25-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:25 PM
maximariceboi

ahh thanks for the link! i'll try this during a weekend and see how it goes.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:36 PM
maclem8223

Originally Posted by maximariceboi
ahh thanks for the link! i'll try this during a weekend and see how it goes.
Really easy honestly the only issue u could possssibly run in to is on the passenger side. BE CAREFUL pulling the whole assembly out as it is a TIGHT fit. But yeah other than that a Phillips and some q-tips and I was done in an an hour at most!
Old 01-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Kdubb223

Filled up this morning. 17.45 gal. the dte was blanked (----) and the gas light was on. Since last fill up I put 337.0 miles on the car. Comes out to be about 19 mpg... which is acceptable cosidering I do a mix of freeway and street driving and I dont always baby the gas pedal.

The gas guage is fairly accurate in my case. If anything I wish the gas light wouldnt come on so early. maybe when the dte goes (----) the light should could on, instead once the dte reads about 35 the light comes on.

Also before I worked on my stereo and disconnected the - terminal on the battery, when I would fill up my dte would only show about 295... Since having disconnected the terminal my dte shows about 367 after I fill up.

one last note my gas needle does go above the top line when I fill up
hope this helps a little bit
Old 03-02-2011, 08:44 AM
ilovegirls

is there still a recall if you are out of warranty?
Old 03-02-2011, 08:57 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

True recalls are still valid regardless of warranty status. TSBs are not the same as a recall so if you're out of warranty, then you will have to pay to have something fixed under the guise of a TSB.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:53 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vics350z
PerfZ you should be worried about this problem its not going to go away its a problem that is just going to get worst. If i where you I would look into getting both fuel sending units replaced ASAP before it drives you nuts like it did me. Call Nissan care and report this also make a claim www.nhtsa.gov/. And do it soon so maybe if enough people call you can get it for free
Originally Posted by PerfZ
I'm pretty laid back - would take much more than that to drive me nuts. Although some would say I am already there. But yeah, it has been happening more and more frequently so will have to bite the bullet eventually. Thanks for the link!
It never did get to the point of driving me nuts, and it hasn't happened since I posted that. Safe so far.

Originally Posted by PerfZ
Recalls and TSB's are two entirely different matters when it comes to who pays for them. I still have not seen a recall for this problem.
to DavesZ#3
Old 03-02-2011, 08:16 PM
maximariceboi

there's no recalls on this..i called the 1800 number before....also i found out my wararnty expired Jan 2010 while a dealership i called back in 2009 said i was out of warranty....wtf! still havent had time to clean out the sending units/float
Old 03-15-2011, 04:28 PM
wrecker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gass guage not reading

mine is a 2006 manual 350z and the problem is

when i fill it sometimes it says full or almost..
main problem is .. i could be driving the car and it says i have 1/4 tank.. turn off park the car.. then next time i start it up... its on empty.. red light on....
car is parked on level ground..
sometimes when it says its on E and i know there is a 1/4 tank it slowly rises back up and the light goes off ... WTF.. and when i say slowly .. thats a 10 min drive to the gass station it finally goes back up wtf bumps dont seem to make a difference
is there a way i can take it apart and clean it ?? solutions?

Last edited by wrecker; 03-15-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:17 PM
vics350z

Smile

Originally Posted by wrecker
mine is a 2006 manual 350z and the problem is

when i fill it sometimes it says full or almost..
main problem is .. i could be driving the car and it says i have 1/4 tank.. turn off park the car.. then next time i start it up... its on empty.. red light on....
car is parked on level ground..
sometimes when it says its on E and i know there is a 1/4 tank it slowly rises back up and the light goes off ... WTF.. and when i say slowly .. thats a 10 min drive to the gass station it finally goes back up wtf bumps dont seem to make a difference
is there a way i can take it apart and clean it ?? solutions?
I think somewhere on this forum its shows how to clean it if you wants to same some money. But if you wants to get it fixed for sure you have to replace both of your fuel sending units the one behind the drivers side seat and passenger seat too. If you do it yourself make sure you have as little gas as possible and replace the O rings.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:45 PM
e46330i

A few people have said that they reused the o-rings.. you should always replace the o-rings. Taking them off and putting the same ones back on will typically result in problems or even worse, a bad seal.

Plus they're only 8.92 a piece..
Old 03-18-2011, 04:33 PM
wrecker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vics350z
I think somewhere on this forum its shows how to clean it if you wants to same some money. But if you wants to get it fixed for sure you have to replace both of your fuel sending units the one behind the drivers side seat and passenger seat too. If you do it yourself make sure you have as little gas as possible and replace the O rings.
thanks man.. im try and find that post.. any links apreciated
Old 03-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Dirty_Z

/*edit

Last edited by Dirty_Z; 03-23-2011 at 04:08 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:13 AM
blascelles

Cleaned with Q-Tips and the gauge is back to normal. Good info.

Quick Reply: Gas gauge inaccuracy