Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Just waxed my Z and the front bumper looks like $@%!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 04:30 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just waxed my Z and the front bumper looks like $@%!

I waxed my entire car yesterday and when I got to the front bumper I felt sick.. Pits, chips and that sand blasted dull paint look on the paint just below the air dam.. Not to menction a few small chips in the front of my hood! My car just hit 5000 miles in 4 months and its in this bad of shape! I had a early 90's eclipse GST 5+ years ago that had 7+ years on it and 90k+ miles, the front has close to the same shape as the Z but had less chips on it then my Z does now!

I know this is nothing new, but it really makes me mad knowing that 4 months andmy frnt bumper is swiss cheese! Should I even bother menctioning it to my dealer next time I get an oil change? Not like they will do anything about it.

I am just venting, next time I will not go near my front bumper when waxing, already I refuse to look at it.. And all the wax sits in the holes and makes it look worse, thats why I am so annoyed right now.. Nice design/paint Nissan
Old 05-16-2003, 04:39 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Clear Bra!!!!!!!!!! Put it on right after I got the car and it looks like new.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:48 AM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the sand from the roads from such a hard winter. I get pissd off too when I get to the front of the car. I was considerring getting a clear 3M "bra" just for the front bumper, after I got it touched up, but not sure how that would look or how effective it would be.

By the way, this is a longshot here, but you don't happen to go up Route 24 (toward Boston) in your morning commute and back down in the evening? I keep on seeing a DB when I go the opposite way (Needham to Cape Cod in the morning) and was curious if they were on this board. Like myself, the car is always in the fast lane!
Old 05-16-2003, 04:51 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Its too late for the clear bra now, there is no paint for it to stick to But seriously, next year I will probably get it painted and put on a clear bra right after.. So mad, it looks like sombody put a pebble blaster to it. I think I am gonna go over it with a paint roller soon

Anyone2u :
Its not me but I am only like 10 miles from rt 24 in my commute, I go into Boston from the north in the morning.. I think it actually might be the kid I talk to at the track, I think he lives somewhere south of Boston, he drives a Blue Track model, maybe its him LOL

Last edited by Daytona Blue Z in Bo; 05-16-2003 at 04:54 AM.
Old 05-16-2003, 05:06 AM
Rizzness

Default ME!

Actually--- Its probably ME!!
Yeah, I usually go Rt. 24 north most mornings (if the traffic is not totally botched) towards Brookline.
I have a DB Enth.
If you don't see the car this Mon, Tue (I think) then you do see it again WITH a new Nismo spoiler, then its definitely me!
Can't wait to get my spoiler mounted this week!!!
What car are you driving down 24???
Catch ya later!
Rizz
Old 05-16-2003, 08:07 AM
jnebill

Default Clear bra

How much does a clear bra run?
Old 05-16-2003, 08:22 AM
jnebill

Marks and bugs show up like crazy on white!
Old 05-16-2003, 08:33 AM
grayfox

I had a friend who worked in Palm Springs, so drove in and out everyday. There is a narrow pass between the Beaumont valley into Palm Springs - I mean, heck, they've got wind mills set up.

Her car looked like absolute crap - if you looked at the windshield from the right angle in sunlight, you'd get blinded by the light reflecting off the crazing and pits.

So, be glad you don't commute through a desert that's naturally windy everyday - not mention when the Santa Ana's kick up or just general sandstorms.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:59 AM
mark350

Have you tried a detailing brush to remove the wax that is stuck in the chips? When I detailed we would use a brush and stab into the chip area to loosen the excess wax. (use a brush that is not too corse.....) Hope this works for you.

When I say brush...kind of like a paint brush bristle.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:17 AM
Ralphus

Clear bra is expensive, looks ugly, turns yellow, etc. Not worth it IMO.

There has to be some sort of paint solution, like a special clear coat or something.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:32 AM
black300zx

My front bumper is a total mess at 12,000 miles. It' like sand paper. My hood has a few chips too and I just got on one on my windshield

I hear what you'r saying, everytime I wash or wax the car I get mad and don't want to look at it. It's only been 6 months. The Silverstone hides it better, speacially if you look far away, but it still bugs me.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:39 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Greyfox:
We both have our pro's and con's .. Around boston after this bad winter we have potholes and broken ashfalt on backroads and the highway.. I have 1/4 inch pebbles flying off my car on highways when vehicle drives over the broken pavement, thets not fun either hearing that crack noise

I am not gonna brush the holes, its a good idea an everything but I just don't like looking at them or going near them, I get so fustrated. The wax will be gone after a wash or rain storm or 2.. If this continues I am gonna throw on a goofy black bra, better then seeing my baby be erroded little by little..

Last edited by Daytona Blue Z in Bo; 05-16-2003 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-16-2003, 11:16 AM
350zandMe

Default Black Bra

Got the Nissan Bra for sale here, never been on the car $55.00 paid $90.00 still in the box. I went with the clear bra and love it no nicks for me and it does not yellow..
Old 05-16-2003, 11:57 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Hmm, i'll think about it and i'll PM you if I decide to get it... BTW, $55 incl shipping?
Old 05-16-2003, 01:27 PM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Default Re: ME!

Originally posted by Rizzness
Actually--- Its probably ME!!
Yeah, I usually go Rt. 24 north most mornings (if the traffic is not totally botched) towards Brookline.
I have a DB Enth.
If you don't see the car this Mon, Tue (I think) then you do see it again WITH a new Nismo spoiler, then its definitely me!
Can't wait to get my spoiler mounted this week!!!
What car are you driving down 24???
Catch ya later!
Rizz
Judging by your comment "if traffic is not totally botched" which means you probably go to (and leave) work late, that must be you, as I do the same thing. I'll be looking for the Nismo spoiler!!! My car is black, and if you have your window down, can probably hear my stereo.

Last edited by Anyone2u; 05-16-2003 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:44 PM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

LOL 350zandMe:

I just noticed you also live in Mass.. I could just pick it up from you..

I also keep seeing a white track model in the Peabody/Danvers area, I wonder if he's a member too!

If any of you MA people ever want to get together for a cruise it would be cool.. Anybody interested?
Old 05-16-2003, 01:44 PM
2K350Z

I'm a victim of the MO highways.

If you've ever been on them (I-70, I-435, 71, etc.), you know exactly what I'm talking about. Silver hides some things well, but the paint seems so thin and easy to chip that I am seriously considering a clear bra in the very near future.

Anyone in this area had one installed? If so, where and how much?
Old 05-16-2003, 03:50 PM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Originally posted by Daytona Blue Z in Bo
...If any of you MA people ever want to get together for a cruise it would be cool.. Anybody interested?
You missed the one that was in NH a couple of weeks ago: Nazars 350Z NH Meet, but Victor (Vics350) and the other CT folk are putting together a CT (Limerock) Meet on July 12 that should hopefully draw quite a few people from MA/NH. Hopefully you, and a lot of other people that couldn't make it to NH, can make it there.

By the way, there is a picture of a .Lemans Sunset that has a bra on it and it looks a lot better than I would have thought it would look

Last edited by Anyone2u; 05-16-2003 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:45 PM
350zandMe

Default Bra

Yes I'm in Mass about 30 miles from you .. Off the Mass Pike and 495 if you decide you want it .. I can meet you in Hopkinton or Westboro..Rt 9

Steve
Old 05-16-2003, 04:52 PM
labshark7

Originally posted by Ralphus
Clear bra is expensive, looks ugly, turns yellow, etc. Not worth it IMO.

There has to be some sort of paint solution, like a special clear coat or something.
3M clear bra's do not turn yellow in a 5-7 year period, which is the life expectancy of the product.

I have never seen one turn yellow, the detailing forums such as www.autopia.org have never had a post concerning this, and I do not think this is a true statement, unless you are not using the product correctly. (Not waxing, applying polishing compounds to it, etc. )

As for the cost, I paid $450.00 installed at my house, for a full kit including headlights, or $350.00 over the cost of a bra.

I have zero chips on my car. I can take the bra off any time I like. The cost of having your bumper and hood repainted is well over $1200.00 if you have any hope of matching factory quality. Sure you can get a 3 layer job done, good luck with it.

Just some info for the doubters,
Eric

Quick Reply: Just waxed my Z and the front bumper looks like $@%!