2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help!! Keys locked in car running

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Shrike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What felt better than turning off the car was just being able to get into the B@$!@rd, after spending 12 hours trying. Brakeline sounds promishing. I tried ALOT of maleable metals to try to push a button, but the combination of the length, angle, and not being able to pry the window open safely more than 3/8" was the killer.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:59 PM
o6black350z

lol glad everything worked out for u Shrike... when i was making copies of my keys they charged me total of $86 but thats with a copy and programming included... but it took them more then 24 hours to make it and program it when i drove it to pick it up... so consider ur self lucky that u didnt have to wait another 24 hours till they could make the key =D
Old 03-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

el oh el! we love you OP for bringing us entertainment for the last 20 hours.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Shrike
Finally - Problem SOLVED. Went to the dealer this morning with proof of ownership. They cut me a key for $95! It's still not programmed to be used in the ignition (since they didn't have access to the vehicle). Programming is an additional $82.

I'm changing the oil, it's draining out now. I'm not taking any chances. Even though i just changed it a week ago, i'm sure it's very contaminated having idled for 20 hours. engine spots were a little hot, but I don't think anything overheated. I drove it a little before turning it off in attempt maybe to burn off any carbon deposits before they cool and become harder to remove. It seems to run just as good as before, no noises even at high rpms, same power & acceleration.

The gas gauge reads above full. To my knowledge that means 12 gallons. So, my car burnt approximately 8 gallons of gas in 20 hrs @ 30degF.

So i think i'm in the clear. Just ate the gas ($15 for 8 gal of 91 here). Woooh
knowing that cost I would have just smashed in the ****ing wind shield and got a new one. : P
Old 03-02-2009, 02:17 PM
o6black350z

Originally Posted by Entaille
knowing that cost I would have just smashed in the ****ing wind shield and got a new one. : P
yeah you would sir... cant wait to see ur next thread in same situation and see how brave you are smashing ur windshield, and if the car is ur daily driver, it would be fun when insurance take about 2 weeks to give u a new windshield..... So for all those Brave-Hearts that love to "smash the window, open the car, get new window..." we'll see how you act when your in the same boat... .... But OP u did right thing bout seeking any other way to get inside the car besides breaking ur windows lol.... Patience pays off
Old 03-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Zian

Glad it all worked out OP. I too would have a lot of trouble bringing a rock anywhere near my z for the purposes of breaking something...
Old 03-02-2009, 02:36 PM
mclovin.too

Where are you in MO? I would drive there if I can break ****.

edit: saw you got it taken care of.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by o6black350z
^^^^ maybe there is diff stuff in diff year models.. u got a 2008, and maybe its a bit different system... i got an 06, but not sure.. my buddies 06 locks auto as well after having it running for about 1 min.... =/ ...

a Z does not lock itself...not after 2 minutes, 10 minutes, or 10 days. If he has an aftermarket alarm, that could be the reason.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Finally - Problem SOLVED. Went to the dealer this morning with proof of ownership. They cut me a key for $95! It's still not programmed to be used in the ignition (since they didn't have access to the vehicle). Programming is an additional $82.

I'm changing the oil, it's draining out now. I'm not taking any chances. Even though i just changed it a week ago, i'm sure it's very contaminated having idled for 20 hours. engine spots were a little hot, but I don't think anything overheated. I drove it a little before turning it off in attempt maybe to burn off any carbon deposits before they cool and become harder to remove. It seems to run just as good as before, no noises even at high rpms, same power & acceleration.

The gas gauge reads above full. To my knowledge that means 12 gallons. So, my car burnt approximately 8 gallons of gas in 20 hrs @ 30degF.

So i think i'm in the clear. Just ate the gas ($15 for 8 gal of 91 here). Woooh
Glad you got in but

you're changing the oil because the car idled for 20 hours?

carbon deposits?

was Men in Black real?

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 03-02-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:01 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
a Z does not lock itself...not after 2 minutes, 10 minutes, or 10 days. If he has an aftermarket alarm, that could be the reason.
My '03 Z locks by itself. Check the owners manual for an explanation.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:02 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Except for...
If you hit the unlock button and don't open the door, it re-locks. Kind of a worthless function IMO.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
My '03 Z locks by itself. Check the owners manual for an explanation.
will have to look at it tomorrow...mine's never done that
Old 03-02-2009, 04:36 PM
aRYip

I heard...
that you can use something to block the exhaust muffler to shut the engine down.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:18 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Originally Posted by aRYip
I heard...
that you can use something to block the exhaust muffler to shut the engine down.
You win. Same principle as exhaust brake on diesel trucks.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:27 AM
Zrookie

Default i feel your pain... mostly

I really have no idea how i locked the car. Obviously, I had to have inadvertantly pushed the manual lock (by the handle) or the remote lock button (on the keyring). But i really don't know how i would have missed doing that. I'm not as big of an idiot as this situation says i am - I have a 3.3 GPA in my senior year of computer engineering & as far as common sense, i usually prove to have more than most (except for the current situation). Just trying to explain i'm not an idoit - most of the time .

I saw the difficulty and the numerous tools the, now 3, locksmiths have tried in trying to get the lock rod inside the door & wedging the window open, to the point they thought it would break or bend the door frame. They just simply can't.

I said previously that the car will run for 24 hours: that's just until i can get a key from the dealer - hopefully. The car will easily run for 48 hours, probably 53 with a full 20 gallons of gas. It's burned approximately 3 in 8 hours.

I would love to post some RIDICULOUS pics, but i don't have a decent 'dark lighting' camera.

I love the humor, making me laugh amidst all this PAIN.
i left my keys in the cars running this one time with my friend in the car... he was a little drunk. so he ends up getting out because he wanted some more to drink. and when i ask him if he got the car keys he just says

"don't worry bro i locked the car before i left"

...yeah. but the good part was i had my spare at home.

good luck
Old 03-03-2009, 08:15 AM
Steven622
Banned

OP should of jacked the front of the car up as to burn less gas. Since the gas in the gas tank would of been at an angle, it could cut off much quicker.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by o6black350z
yeah you would sir... cant wait to see ur next thread in same situation and see how brave you are smashing ur windshield, and if the car is ur daily driver, it would be fun when insurance take about 2 weeks to give u a new windshield..... So for all those Brave-Hearts that love to "smash the window, open the car, get new window..." we'll see how you act when your in the same boat... .... But OP u did right thing bout seeking any other way to get inside the car besides breaking ur windows lol.... Patience pays off
you're a dumbass. you won't see a similar thread by me. it's not about bravery either..

the whole situation really sucked, he got screwed by having stupid local locksmiths that didn't know what they were doing. shouldn't have come to what he went through in the first place, the lock should have gotten popped.

I would have paid for the windshield out of pocket, not worth filing an insurance claim. on top of that, any insurance worth a damn could replace a windshield same day, or next day at worst. they run 160-300$ish.

I would not let my car idle that long. I would not risk letting someone steal the car and getting f'ed on my insurance claim because I let my car run for 24 hrs with the key inside of it. I wouldn't smash a side window or the rear, they would cost more, and they're tinted.

besides that, I have a nice clifford system with a backup remote, and I still have the stock keyfobs for worst case scenarios, so this will never happen to me. I have 3 lines of backup, that would be some pretty hardcore fail if I got myself in this situation.

ultimately OP needed a backup key so this will serve him well, since he bought one. I admit my prior post was bad input - in his situation, the new key was a pretty ideal situation as he needed a spare anyways, but he still left the thing running for anyone to steal, and who really knows how it will be effected by idling that long.

agree to disagree, not the route I would have taken, glad it worked out for you OP.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:39 AM
350Zak

Glad it all worked out
Old 03-03-2009, 08:50 AM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Cops down here help out in situations like that (car thieves help train them!!!). Call your friendly neighborhood cop. A copy of your car key won't start the car (chip thingy), but for $2.00 you'll save yourself the trouble & a lot of time.

Last edited by j.arnaldo; 03-03-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Flick Montana

Originally Posted by jekl1000
Your neighborhood looks a little dicey.
Yeah, that fountain in the front yard is super ghetto. And I never trust a neighbor with a privacy fence and plastic green mailbox. Plus, look at all those beaters on the street. That's a breeding ground for crime.

Quick Reply: Please help!! Keys locked in car running