Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What do you hate most about your 350z?

Old 01-25-2010, 04:54 PM
xthejokerx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBit
Nobody mentioned:

~ Trunk release from inside the car is bogus as hell. You have to reach allllll the way back there. You have to bend so far over as if you're about to take it up the @$$hole and pull the lever. A switch next to the hood release/fuel door release would have made it much, much simpler.

Wait what? There's a trunk release from the inside? But like the person above said, use the key fob lol
Old 01-25-2010, 05:01 PM
jbaker1121
Banned

I hate that I spent so much in dumb mods on my fx and it is still slow.....
Old 01-26-2010, 12:19 AM
MikeBit

Originally Posted by beddow
My god why did you buy a 350z? Thats a novel of stuff, haha. I'm on my second 350z now and I have only the A/C to complain about.

O by the way the inside trunk release is located on your key fob.
LOL. They're not really big problems man. The car is just awesome. None of those bother me too much, if anything the paint and my windows. I know its on the key... but still!!! Haha. A 350z is worth it. I am in love with the damn thing.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:24 AM
MikeBit

Originally Posted by xthejokerx
Wait what? There's a trunk release from the inside? But like the person above said, use the key fob lol
Yeah theres a lever way in the back on the right side that you can pull to release the trunk. The manual calls it "emergency release" I think, rofl. And like I said a second ago..... I KNOW IT'S ON THE KEY! It still doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't make a NORMAL trunk release button. I rarely use my effin trunk anyway! Anyone who complains about trunk space shouldn't buy a sports car get an SUV or something.

Speaking of trunk, anyone on here have any tips on how to paint your Z thingy in the trunk? I want to match colors with the car.... and possibly replace that Z emblem (mine is old and worn/torn up a bit)
Old 01-26-2010, 12:33 AM
silverbullet_Z

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

What the hell is the big significance of the trunk release inside.. I do hope people know about the push button trunk release outside of the car by the license plate. If the doors are unlocked you can use it that is if you have power to the car.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:41 AM
shezzzhot
Abzolutely Zexy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silverbullet_Z
What the hell is the big significance of the trunk release inside.. I do hope people know about the push button trunk release outside of the car by the license plate. If the doors are unlocked you can use it that is if you have power to the car.
Soft squishy button just above the plate!! Works very well.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:45 AM
MikeBit

Yup yup, I press that button too feels nice and soft LOL. I guess it's just convenient if you had it on the inside too. Regardless.... soft squishy button ftw
Old 01-26-2010, 12:47 AM
shezzzhot
Abzolutely Zexy

Originally Posted by MikeBit
Yup yup, I press that button too feels nice and soft LOL. I guess it's just convenient if you had it on the inside too. Regardless.... soft squishy button ftw
I use to think I wanted a button inside (the car) for my trunk, but then you have to go open it up anyway. It's too heavy to pop open like my other car.

I like squishy....
Old 01-26-2010, 12:50 AM
silverbullet_Z

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by shezzzhot
Soft squishy button just above the plate!! Works very well.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:59 AM
shezzzhot
Abzolutely Zexy

Leave it to a zchick to mention it that way!! The Z is all about sexy time!
Old 01-26-2010, 02:50 AM
screener
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a soft squishy button on the outside. I found the rubber one above the license plate. I got ripped mine is not all that squishy!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

My configuration: 2003 350Z Performance Model (so some criticisms are fixed in the 370Z)
  • The oil dipstick is nearly impossible to replace in low light.

• There’s no front glove compartment. (The passenger must exit the car to allow access to the rear glove compartment.)

• The interior looks cheap.

• The front cup-holder is so flimsy I’m afraid to even use it.

• The side bolsters on the front seats wear quickly. (On the positive side: The seat’s structure is very durable).

• The rear strut bar interferes significantly when loading the coupe’s rear cargo area. (Fixed in the 370Z)

• The coupe exhibits excessive tire and road noise. I hate fixing this with heavy sound deadening when cars such as the Porsche and Corvette accomplish great sound deadening using thin and lightweight panels that are fitted precisely to significantly reduce road noise. (BTW: I like engine noise and exhaust sounds.)

• The hatch struts won’t support the rear hatch door, or even pop the rear hatch door, in temperatures near or below freezing. (The fix is simple by replacing the hatch struts with a more durable strut designed to lift the hatch equipped with a rear spoiler.)

• The engine RPM’s drop too slowly in older 350 Z’s. (My understanding is this was a compromise Nissan made to pass USA emission tests, and the problem is fixed in later year model Z’s.)

• The stock tires (at least my model year) are too narrow. They should be at least 235 front and 255 rear, instead of 225 front and 245 rear. (Note: I suppose that Nissan considered the fact that the 225/245 tire combo was already too noisy and didn’t want to make this worse with even wider tires.)

• The stock wheels (at least my model year) are too narrow. They should be at least 8” front and 9” rear, instead of 8” front and 8” rear. (Note: The stock setup doesn’t make sense since my Z came with staggered tire widths, but not staggered wheels widths. WT_?)

• The wheel offset (at least my model year) isn’t adequate. Offset should be closer to 22-25 instead of the stock 30. (Note: I suspect this was deliberate to avoid rubbing issues when customers tried replacing tires with wider treads.)
All in all, it’s a great car though.

--Spike
Old 01-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Moncada90
Banned

it would be funny if one of the designer of the 350z, join the forum and read this thread!!

....... what if the designers did somethings on purpose to **** us off?? like the doors closing on our legs!!! just for the hell of it!! hahaha
Old 01-26-2010, 05:57 PM
secwind

Originally Posted by Spike100

[*]There’s no front glove compartment. (The passenger must exit the car to allow access to the rear glove compartment.)
I already did that to a friend. The wtf look on his face was priceless.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:09 PM
xthejokerx

My configuration: 2003 350Z Performance Model (so some criticisms are fixed in the 370Z)

[*]The coupe exhibits excessive tire and road noise. I hate fixing this with heavy sound deadening when cars such as the Porsche and Corvette accomplish great sound deadening using thin and lightweight panels that are fitted precisely to significantly reduce road noise. (BTW: I like engine noise and exhaust sounds.)

--Spike

Spike, what material did you use to deaden the road noise and where did you place'em at?
Old 01-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Spike100

Spike, what material did you use to deaden the road noise and where did you place'em at?
I’ve tried several different aftermarket sound deadening solutions from different companies, and really did not notice any significant difference among these products.

All the products are fairly thick and heavy, and the result is nearly the same. You add considerable weight (200 lbs. or even more if you do it right and layer over all the surfaces).

When you do “aftermarket” sound deadening, you’re pretty much stuck using these heavy “blankets” since it’s impossible to fit light-weight custom panels that Porsche and Corvette incorporate into their cars in the factory-build.

I’ve had the best results doing these things:
  • Place sound deadening inside the doors. You might think that isn’t the most advantageous position for your efforts, but in fact it provides a significant reduction in noise. The benefit is a result of killing “traveling noise” that runs along the car’s panels coming from other areas in the car (sort of like a “water drip” that starts in one spot, runs along a panel, and displays in a remote area).

• The major “sound offender” in the Z is tire and road noise. You handle this by spraying liquid sound deadening (some would call this rust-proofing spray-on) into the wheel wells outside the car’s interior, combined with sound deadening sheets inside the car over the interior surfaces of the wheels wells. This does reduce road noise, but some will rate the result as disappointing at best. The car does become more quiet though, but maybe not as much as you would expect or hope for.

• If you want to go farther and reduce unwanted exterior noise, you must deaden the rear strut bar, the rear structure behind the driver and passenger seat, the rear cargo floor, the front driver and passenger floor, and the interior of the firewall. Yikes.
Or, you could simply buy a G35/37 that has custom-fitted lightweight sound deadening panels that are factory- installed to the car’s interior (of course I'm kidding here, but I am trying to make a point).

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 01-27-2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Spaced the bullet points for better readability
Old 01-28-2010, 07:05 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

On top of the OEM cloth seats i absolutely hate the noise in the dash kills me. Other than that the car still puts a smile on my face almost daily!
Old 01-28-2010, 04:29 PM
zard

[LIST]
[*]There’s no front glove compartment. (The passenger must exit the car to allow access to the rear glove compartment.)

--Spike
Maybe you need to use shorter passengers?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by zard
Maybe you need to use shorter passengers?
Or maybe passengers who bend/fold more.

--Spike
Old 01-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Spike100

I think it’s a good idea to balance criticism with compliments, so I would like to list “What do you like most about your 350Z?” (Note: I’m in no way trying to “jack” the OP’s thread).

Features I love in the 350 Z (And, I’ll repeat that I have a 2003 Performance Model):
  • The Z’s styling looks just great. This is one attractive car with a timeless and universal design for a sports car. My 2003 car has styling that remains contemporary even 7 years later.

• The Z is a great street car that is track-worthy right “out of the box.”

• Although the Z is a high-powered sports car, it’s very economical to own and operate. It has a powerful engine that provides great mileage, inexpensive maintenance, and a wonderful reliability record. I really don’t know of any competitor that can claim better economy for this level of performance car. You certainly won’t get this with something like a Porsche or Corvette.

• And, as long as we are discussing engines, the Z’s v6 engine provides great torque and a power curve that anyone will love.

• There’s a plethora of aftermarket products and modifications for the Z (engine add-ons, body panels, suspension upgrades, and interior changes, etc.). The customization capabilities make this car very fun since you can do minor to major stuff and get the feel of a new or greatly-improved car. If you get bored with the car, just change it by adding/swapping stuff.

• If you like great looking wheels matched to appropriate tires, you have almost an unlimited selection with the Z. You can go even farther with your choices by mounting different body panels for better offset and wheel/tire widths, and suspension components for the appropriate drop. For example, you can match the exotics by installing wide-body panels and very wide wheels and tires. If you mate that setup to any of the available engine upgrades, you have one powerful and great handling car.

• The Z comes with either automatic or manual transmission, and both are great. The automatic transmission is very reliable, shifts perfectly and quickly, and provides a great driving experience. The manual transmission provides short throws and shifts “smooth as silk,” reveling any of the exotics. (The early MT’s had some synchromesh issues, but that’s all fixed now).

• Nissan is a great car company, and they have an excellent relationship with their dealers. That’s a good thing for consumers buying Nissan products.
In summary, the Z is great as it is, or you can consider the car as your starting-point towards creating an exotic.

--Spike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What do you hate most about your 350z?