Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What have you done for your Z today?

Old 09-03-2016, 05:19 PM
WYZIWYG

Received 203 Likes on 150 Posts

Finally ordered and installed some new hatch struts from Z1. Got tired of getting hit in the f*cking head every time I went grocery shopping.
The following users liked this post:
BigBlue (09-03-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 05:21 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

I use a piece of wood... Ive gotten accustomed to it.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:33 PM
WYZIWYG

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
I use a piece of wood... Ive gotten accustomed to it.
It's embarrassing after a while and a hassle to have to hold the hatch up while loading items into the trunk. And thanks to another member on here I canceled my order for the cheap ones off Amazon and went to Z1 for the better quality ones.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:56 PM
rearranged

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Anyone had problems with the new struts not popping up? Before I changed mine when I opened the hatch, it would pop up and raise some of the way. Now I have to hold up on the hatch while I press the button. Once it's past that it will raise on its own and no worries of it dropping on your head. Just curious if anyone else experienced the same after installing the z1 hatch struts
Old 09-03-2016, 09:09 PM
WYZIWYG

Originally Posted by rearranged
Anyone had problems with the new struts not popping up? Before I changed mine when I opened the hatch, it would pop up and raise some of the way. Now I have to hold up on the hatch while I press the button. Once it's past that it will raise on its own and no worries of it dropping on your head. Just curious if anyone else experienced the same after installing the z1 hatch struts
Found this while looking up install vids for the hatch struts. Might help you out? BTW, mine won't pop the trunk all the way up without a little lift up and they're brand new.

Old 09-04-2016, 03:52 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

It's the little black springs that pop the hatch up, people use pennies to temporarily fix the problem I believe.

Mine were brand new like 2 years ago from Z1, they did a great job... They dont work now because they are in my basement and my car is in my driveway.

My hatch is fiberglass and has no mounting spot for struts, and its so flimsy they would probably break it off if I tried.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:24 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

Buy new spring thingys from courtesy, the penny thing works but puts extra stress on the plastic inside piece, it will eventually break
Old 09-04-2016, 05:14 AM
Vitamin_B12

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
It's embarrassing after a while and a hassle to have to hold the hatch up while loading items into the trunk. And thanks to another member on here I canceled my order for the cheap ones off Amazon and went to Z1 for the better quality ones.
i hope you saw my reply to your post

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...l#post10801947

either way, make sure you install the bracket correctly!

i don't know if it's the same for you guys, but i can only pop the trunk if both doors have been unlocked. otherwise, it makes the noise but i can't lift it
Old 09-04-2016, 06:49 AM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by the rook
Changed my transmission mount back from polyurethane oem rubber. The vibration was a little more than I could stand for a daily driver but as it turns out the mechanic who installed my clutch apparently doesn't know s*** about torque specs and torque down the transmission mount bolt and the bolt that holds the bushing in place through the bracket so tight that I had to use a breaker bar to get them off. The polyurethane was already wearing off of one side of the bushing after only 250 miles of driving. The torque specs for those three bolts are 40 pounds per square inch. So in all likelihood the vast majority of my vibration was due to the fact that there was no play whatsoever in my transmission mount bushing. But I don't know that for certain so I went ahead with the rubber bushing and we'll see how it rides now.
I can't stand people who talk **** on guys (like me) who fix other people's cars cause they are incompetent. Have some respect
Old 09-04-2016, 08:10 AM
the rook

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by HRMoneyPit
I can't stand people who talk **** on guys (like me) who fix other people's cars cause they are incompetent. Have some respect
Browser this wasn't a guy in his garage. This was a shop that does PERFORMANCE automotive tuning and mechanical work. It cost me $640 to get my clutch installed and it was a half *** job. The clutch pedal wasn't adjusted correctly and wasn't releasing. I had to watch a tutorial to fix that. The over torqued bolts could've caused serious damage. That's just the truth of the matter. If that's the way you or your shop fixes cars then get a new profession. If my motor mounts had fractured or my drive line it would have cost me a lot of money to fix that. I think anyone in my position has a right to be a little pissed off.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:14 AM
the rook

What have you done for your Z today?-1473005562171.jpg

Less than 200 miles on a brand new poly bushing.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:26 AM
the rook

They also cross threaded one of the bolts that mounts the poly bushing to the transmission housing. Thankfully I had a tap and dye kit at the house or I'd have been in a real bind. If you fix cars this way then it is YOU who is incompetent pal.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:27 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Is that the Z1 mount? I was going to buy that the other night, then cheaped out.. Looks like a nice piece, sucks you ended up removing it...
Old 09-04-2016, 08:30 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

y'all stop.... gees. i would be back at the shop ripping them a new one, they are incompetent .... but not every mechanic is.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:33 AM
the rook

Is that the Z1 mount? I was going to buy that the other night, then cheaped out.. Looks like a nice piece, sucks you ended up removing it...
I'm sure it would have been fine but I just installed oem because I read some more stuff about the possibility of it wearing out the motor mounts faster. Since I already bought the oem because I thought that was the problem I just went ahead and pulled it. I bought it from czperformance. $109 I think. It probably still works well.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:35 AM
the rook

Originally Posted by travlee
y'all stop.... gees. i would be back at the shop ripping them a new one, they are incompetent .... but not every mechanic is.
I'm going back Tuesday. It's a holiday Monday. Yeah my bad for throwing a fit. It was a sensitive subject and that was an ignorant comment.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:46 AM
the rook

Sorry I didn't actually answer your question. It's an ISR mount.

How much did to pay for a mount? My oem was just as much as the z1 poly and the ISR.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:17 AM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

You sure it's not a nylon bolt genius? You don't seem to know if such things

And half *** job cause he bolted something down with a air gun? Smh
Old 09-04-2016, 09:21 AM
the rook

They're aluminum bolts. Soft as hell. Easy to cross thread. And definitely a half *** job. Didn't adjust the pedal to release the clutch. Didn't go by torque specs on a torque sensitive part. Whole car was shaking like a Harley Davidson. Lol. After I installed the mount properly all if the shaking went away. Did you see what happened to the bushing?
Old 09-04-2016, 09:24 AM
the rook

When I don't know things I read and learn. But when I take my vehicle to a licensed mechanic I expect them to know. That's why I pay them so much money to do a job. Is that a crazy philosophy???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What have you done for your Z today?