Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Z Owners with Automatics - How do you like it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 10:46 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by zamfield
I sometimes think I should have held out for a Manual but with the tiptronic style shifter, don't mind it. I can hold a gear... change into a lower gear so its almost a mt6!!
no, no it's not.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:56 AM
saywat?

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

those who are discouraged from driving mt becus of "traffic", u scared ur chicken legs cant handle using ur left leg to press the clutch.? its no different than using ur right leg for gas and brake during traffic. u get used to it its no big deal. if u really think about it lol
Old 04-04-2014, 08:06 PM
FOOKhonda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought my 06 a/t almost a month ago now, i must say it is nice having sport shift, so essentially you can still drive it like manual, the car is a little heavier than a manual obv but when you have a spouse who cant drive mt or drive constantly like i do as i pizza delivery driver im glad i have an at

i agree that you do get used to driving a mt and its not as bothersome as some people say but i like to relax while driving and not have to shift up and then down up and then down etc

so it really depends what youre looking for, if your getting this car to race get a manual becase its better suited for racing, i got an auto because i drive about 6-8 hours 5 days a week and thats just at work
i will eventually race my auto, yes it wont be quite as fast as a manual the same, but it wont matter much when you have 11:1 pistons intake/exhuast cams etc

as a DD get: auto
for strictly race: get manual
for both it depends if you can handle driving a manual in traffic, but if you intend to race pretty often even if its your daily get a manual, itll be better in race situations then an auto
Old 04-04-2014, 09:10 PM
lumper1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife said the same thing, I bought her a 6 speed m/t anyway and taught her, she loves the car now, wouldnt have it any other way.
Nothing makes me more mad than a closed mind, once she said no I cant do it, that was all I had to hear.

I bought myself a Z and bought a manual, but I bought her a Tiburon 6 speed gt and as I said, she swore she didnt want one and couldnt drive it and would be pissed if I got one, and 3 months later she will be the first to say she was wrong.

Dont base your decision on that or every time you drive the car you will second guess it and you wont be truly happy, I am sure you have had to accept things you dont necessarily like for her, remind her of that when telling her you arent buying an automatic because you want a m/t.

After driving her car for 3 months I Can tell you it is fun every single time, I love that car and make any excuse to go for a ride, where as with all my automatics, I could take it or leave it.

I am sure it is just my preference but m/t becomes second nature very quickly even if you have never driven one before, and this winter in her car in the slippery weather it was as snap to drive as you can just keep up shifting til the spinning stops and drive away, with an automatic your either spinning or your not, there is no finesse and escape the ice.

Personally when I was shopping for a Z I could have saved thousands if I went with an auto and I noticed they were always less expensive, but I bought this car for fun and an auto for me just isnt as fun, again just my opinion.

Good luck
Lump

Last edited by lumper1; 04-04-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:25 PM
Syner

Originally Posted by FOOKhonda
i bought my 06 a/t almost a month ago now, i must say it is nice having sport shift, so essentially you can still drive it like manual, the car is a little heavier than a manual obv but when you have a spouse who cant drive mt or drive constantly like i do as i pizza delivery driver im glad i have an at

i agree that you do get used to driving a mt and its not as bothersome as some people say but i like to relax while driving and not have to shift up and then down up and then down etc

so it really depends what youre looking for, if your getting this car to race get a manual becase its better suited for racing, i got an auto because i drive about 6-8 hours 5 days a week and thats just at work
i will eventually race my auto, yes it wont be quite as fast as a manual the same, but it wont matter much when you have 11:1 pistons intake/exhuast cams etc

as a DD get: auto
for strictly race: get manual
for both it depends if you can handle driving a manual in traffic, but if you intend to race pretty often even if its your daily get a manual, itll be better in race situations then an auto
You should re-think your comment. The faster you bring me my pizza, the bigger your tip.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:41 PM
RUNWDVL

Received 236 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Syner
You should re-think your comment. The faster you bring me my pizza, the bigger your tip.
Just a tip?
Old 04-04-2014, 09:41 PM
lumper1

I totally get some like one over the other, and both have pros and cons, but I hear a lot of people saying heavy traffic is a deciding factor with a m/t I don't get that.
I mean its a little busier with constant shifting and clutching, yes, but its not like thats a major issue or a reason to not get a m/t if you were considering one.

I like an automatic in a luxury car, a Lincoln, or Caddy, etc. or in my 3/4 ton chevy work truck, but in my toy cars I prefer the action of shifting.

It just makes it seem more like a toy to me and less like a car, ya know, kinda like that go kart thing you get with a Z or a small sporty car.

I think you should test drive both if you can and get a feel for the car a little.

Even if you have to drive a different one or a new one, just to see for yourself I guess.
As long as your happy with it then thats all that really matters.
Again good luck, maybe you can get your wife along on a test drive while you drive a standard and give her a chance to see what it is like in that particular car?
If your wife will be miserable later and wont give in, then it might be easier for your life to get the at lol, lots of factors there.

Lump
Old 04-04-2014, 09:52 PM
Syner

Originally Posted by RUNWDVL
Just a tip?
I see what you did there...
Old 04-05-2014, 07:34 AM
DamianZ

I dont recall If I already responded to this thread but if I did the mods can remove it. I did enjoy my five speed automatic with manual shift mode and was fun to drive even though I was only 17 at the time. I was very very lucky to have a brand new sports car at the age and thankful.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:58 AM
chitownpete

40% of the time I wish I had an Auto, 60% of the time I'm glad I bought the manual. If this was my daily driver I would've bought the auto. 20 years of stop and go traffic, big feet, and huge improvements in Autos no longer make manuals mandatory like when I first started driving. I shift very well, never stall or grind, and I have nothing left to prove to myself or others.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:29 AM
FOOKhonda

lmao, well driving 6-8 hrs a day in traffic on major roads im glad i have auto, and its not like these cars are slow as an auto theres about 5% power difference, so like 10 hp, just an aftermarket intake will make a stock manual the same as the auto, and trust me, i get pizza wherever you want it fast as hell if i didnt get good tips i wouldnt have the Z

and with sport shift its not too different, i just hate taking off on an incline, for me its either give it generous throttle or stall, and i really dont want to be the guy that rolls back into the car behind them XD that would not be a good day

for a straight track car, i would drive manual but for what i do, auto is best for me, turn off TCS and you will still roast tire til about the middle of 3rd

best thing ever is racing an integra and smoking them while still roasting on a wet road
Old 04-05-2014, 11:33 AM
FOOKhonda

also, some people arent gonna give you **** no matter who you are what you drive or how fast you got it there. like kids, when people under the age of 20 order, its usually a no tip and its at the edge of your delivery area. spent $3 in as to get there for a $60 order and they give you $60 and tell you to have a good night if youre lucky
Old 04-05-2014, 11:38 AM
FOOKhonda

Originally Posted by DamianZ
I dont recall If I already responded to this thread but if I did the mods can remove it. I did enjoy my five speed automatic with manual shift mode and was fun to drive even though I was only 17 at the time. I was very very lucky to have a brand new sports car at the age and thankful.
thats what im saying, im 20 my gf is 19, and the car only had 80k miles so im just glad to have a sports car that actually hasss *****, we have no credit but got this somehow lol
Old 04-05-2014, 11:49 AM
Syner

Originally Posted by FOOKhonda
thats what im saying, im 20 my gf is 19, and the car only had 80k miles so im just glad to have a sports car that actually hasss *****, we have no credit but got this somehow lol
That seems like a bright financial move...
Old 04-05-2014, 12:00 PM
saywat?

Lmao If ur still rolling back or scared of rolling back after years of driving ur manual ur still Fkn doing it wrong
Old 04-05-2014, 12:12 PM
Syner

Originally Posted by saywat?
Lmao If ur still rolling back or scared of rolling back after years of driving ur manual ur still Fkn doing it wrong
Old 04-05-2014, 01:22 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
[QUOTE=FOOKhonda;10364835]l:

and with sport shift its not too different, i just hate taking off on an incline, for me its either give it generous throttle or stall, and i really dont want to be the guy that rolls back into the car behind them XD that would not be a good day

Er, that's why you have an E-Brake, so you hold the car on that (with button pushed in), wait for the clutch to start to bite, drop the E-Brake and accelerate away as normal.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:14 PM
stuartc323

honestly drivin a manual for me isn't shiit, i learned how to drive in my moms porsche 911 and i only knew how to drive manual for a while, today I'm just too damn lazy lol, i still have fun with my car and i deaf what people say because at the end of the day its a damn car, point a to point b. i still pull the biitches and i haven't had a single person not tell me it wasn't a nice car so fuuck it, why is this still even being discussed lol
Old 04-05-2014, 07:41 PM
saywat?

Originally Posted by samsniss350z

Er, that's why you have an E-Brake, so you hold the car on that (with button pushed in), wait for the clutch to start to bite, drop the E-Brake and accelerate away as normal.
lmao...noob

Last edited by saywat?; 04-07-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:38 AM
FOOKhonda

i learned how to drive with a manual it was an 01 plymouth neon basically the dodge neon, but i only drove that every now and then for maybe 6 months or so

thinking back on it, i only stalled once or twice, the first time i ever drove it i took off in 3rd my 3 or 4th try, my mom was laughing til she found out i wasnt in 1st lol

i guess i never really stalled on an incline except one time and i still dont understand how that happened at all

anyhow all this is a bit off-topic

its just whatever the person perfers, this is a loaded question because there is soooo many different variables to be answered accurately for any given person.