Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z Owners with Automatics - How do you like it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 02:53 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I probably will regret posting, but my $.02

I've owned or driven:

2 sp autos
3 sp autos
4 sp autos
3 "on the tree" sticks
3 on the floor sticks
4 on the floor sticks
5 on the floor sticks
10 sp on the floor sticks
Right hand Drive 4 speeds
4 speed motorcycles
5 speed motorcycles
6 speed motorcycles
2 speed auto "on the dash" autos

And I can't wait for my 6 speed Z

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, not being an enthusiast, I have to say

SHIFT_whatever

Soooooo, GameOver, SHIFT_Brain

People are different, may be a hard concept to accept, but, there are choices in life, accept different choices.

Old 09-05-2002, 02:56 PM
Goober
Charter Member #57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by GameOver
I dont think theres room for debate in wether to buy an auto or a manual, I think this decision is pretty straightforward to the TRUE enthusiast. Those that JUST want to be seen in the car, those that just want to draw attention then have to pay a price.....a price that you might end up paying. Ur going to sacrifice the true feeling of a sports car just cuz she doesnt want to learn how to drive manual?? Im perceiving that the car would be for you NOT for her. Now, if the car is for her, for her to drive 95% of the time then get the AT. Its your hard earned money not mine.

This has been a 24yr old's perspective

later

AND Im not a troll, Im just laying the facts just how they are.

lemme tell you more: in every family there should be a family car <suv, minivan or whatever> as long as theres a fam car then there wont be room for debate in whatever car I want as my daily driver!
Not a very smart move.....

Getting called immature and posting your age.....BIG NO NO!

Saying you are just laying the facts down but using the words "I think" to make your factual statement.

Next time just stay out of the argument because the thread subject was for AT owners, which by your comments would be the worst thing in the world to buy on a sports car, yet you were the first to respond no matter how moronic the response was.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:08 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, here's the deal. Gameover was correct in his statement but absolutely wrong to posted what he did. It had nothing to do with the question at hand. So he needs to Shift_brain. I believe I only read <4 posts (dont know the #, and i don't care to look) that actually responded to the question. To those people, kudos to them. Also, everyone that justified purchasing an auto, well you need to Shift_brain as well. Only one needed to comment telling Gameover to can it and this thread could have been on its way. Now look at it, the poor thing, it should be closed just as much as a dying dog should be shot.

To the question, the Z auto is top-notch although I cannot comment on it personally since I haven't any 350Z yet. If you're looking for an auto, I would say the Z's auto will still give you plenty of satisfaction. But if I were you I would explain to my wife how easy it would be to learn stick and how important it is to you.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:33 PM
raceboy
Banned

OK, I am probably reading way to much into dipsticks post, but I think I am usually pretty intuitive. He wants a manual tranny, but the wife is giving him crap about it. He is trying to justify to himself getting the auto just so he won't have to hear any complaining. If she can't drive a stick, better off that she doesn't drive a 287hp car around MT or AT. Get what you want man. When you said "I do" that wasn't short for; "I do give up my individuality."

The above statement is total speculation. I apologize in advance for any and all people it ends up offending, but having sold high end home theaters for a number or years, I would say there is a 90% probability it's right on the money. I couldn't tell you how many times I had a customer in my store and the wife would be dead set against the purchase until the husband offered to buy her some jewelry or something similar. It used to make me LMFAO, but I felt sad for these people at the same time. I asked my friend that manages a jewelry store if the same thing happens in reverse and he said; "never." It's p**** blackmail.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:58 PM
nickdtm

While I personally don't like automatic transmissions in sports cars... THAT'S NOT THE ISSUE

Can you people read? "Z OWNERS with AUTOMATICS - How do you like it?"

You should stay the hell out of the thread if you're not in the group specifically being asked for an opinion.

Does the title say "Do you think I should buy an automatic or a manual?" NO!
Old 09-05-2002, 05:50 PM
Bobg

Can't we all just get along?....R.King
Old 09-05-2002, 06:12 PM
Zoro

Default according to previous post

Regarding the difference in 0-60 in other cars such as the accura between auto and manual you would be looking at a .3s difference with an experienced driver.

And as was mentioned earlier in this post a driver who really doesn't know what he's doing would probably have a better run with the AT.

I wish we had some actual timed runs with it.

Come on AT guys shed some light

Old 09-05-2002, 08:23 PM
jcedmond

Hey Racerboy... speaking of being considerate... How about getting rid of the homophobic video signature your using? We don't need that here on a car forum. Believe it or not, there are gay people reading this forum.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:40 PM
Them Bones

I drove a G35 and was very impressed with the auto. Unlike some, it let the engine rev without planting your foot on the floor and had crisp shifts. The manual mode really is just about worthless. The only one worth anything right now is BMW's sequential shift. Don't buy because of the manual mode.

I know this doesn't apply 100% to the Z, but the drivetrain IS the same.

Personally, I prefer the manual and like the fact that cars like the Mustang Cobra are only made that way. I do believe, however, that you will be happy with the auto if that's your preference. Definitely no slouch.

As a side note, I've driven an auto Camaro and had a totally different experience. They always shoot for a high gear. I assume this is to fudge the gas mileage numbers. As soon as I hit the gas, it shifted to second. Had to plant foot to get it into lower gears. Nissan's tranny is not that way!

Enjoy!

TB
Old 09-05-2002, 09:09 PM
Boomer

Default AT

Originally posted by Dipstick
Raceboy, I take no offense at all to your post, but you're incorrect in my case. My wife is one of the nicest people on this earth, and doesn't try to interfere in my decisions (nor I in hers). In fact, if I asked her about the MT vs. AT thing, she'd encourage me to get the MT if that is what I want. The deal is that I'm just trying to be considerate of her. The Z would be my car, but I know she'd get a kick out of driving it sometimes. That's why I'd get an AT so she can drive it unless the penalty in performance and fun is just too great.

One of my wife's few "faults" is that there are some things she just won't do. (Ok, you guys get your minds out of the gutter. I'm not talking about THAT. ) Learning to drive a MT is one of them. When we got married 25 years ago, I owned one of the first Honda Accords sold around here (1976 model), with a 5 speed stick. She had no interest in it then, and I don't think things have changed in 25 years. So, the bottom line is, it ain't gonna happen. (Before you criticize, remember that there's a lot of guys out there who wish the worst thing they could say about their wife is that she won't learn to drive a car with a stick shift.)

If I get a Z, it will never see the dragstrip or an autocross course. (That's why Mustangs and Miata's were created.) And I'm certainly no street racer. So, while I'd enjoy the 6MT, losing a few 10ths of a second in the quarter mile just isn't much of a concern for me. OTOH, if the AT is an absolute dog, that's a different story. But, I've been hearing so much about the torquey nature of the Z's engine (even at low rpm's) and how linear the power band is, and it makes me think the Z may not suffer too much from having an AT, especially with the tiptronic mode.

Seriously, no offense taken. I've known a lot of guys just like the ones you described.
Hi, Dipstick. I will be taking delivery of my Brickyard/Frost Leather/
AT tomorrow at 1 pm, and I will be happy to give you comments on the AT in a few days when I have some time to drive it. You can just post me directly if you want to avoid the recent fiasco, either way, let me know. This will be my first AT sports car so I have somewhat of a learning curve to catch up with, but I'm really excited.

I thought it would be coming in today, but a friend of ours was coming back from Dallas and called me; he said he was right beside a transporter with 2 Zs on it and wasn't mine a kind of burgundy color? I said yes and he said something I didn't catch so I asked him if the car had 7 spoke wheels. When he confirmed it did, I said that's my Z! My wife called the credit union and I had a site draft in 20 minutes. I went to see it at the dealership while my salesman was calling me at home. Dr. BonZ/Pooh2002, you are going to love the Brickyard and the Frost interior is a great contrast!

One thing Gamyboy was right about when he said I would need to squeeze into the car. I have plenty of headroom, pedals are fine, wheel could stand to be higher, but the gut has to go. Being 6'5" and 295 lbs is asking too much for the cockpit to bear, so 20 lbs goes in 3 weeks and I'll drop to 250 in 2-3 months.

Its OK, I've always had to squeeze into my MT sports cars; my 91 MR2 Turbo, 88 Honda Prelude w/4 wheel steering, 82 Mustang GT, 72 240Z, 84 Honda Prelude, 68 Fiat Spyder 5spd, 78 BMW 320i, and 65 Triumph TR4. If I can fit into a 91 MR2T w/ T-Tops at 250 lbs for 128.000 miles, the Z will fit me like a glove then. As it is, the room is bearable, good thing I got the AT, I couldn't drive a MT with the extra pedal at my present girth. Also, my wife can now drive a sports car again since her right elbow was crushed in an accident and she couldn't shift gears anymore.

Boomer--post me next week or I'll post you when I have some real impressions.
BR/FR/AT
Old 09-05-2002, 09:39 PM
hoopjones

Isn't this forum a place where people can express their opinions? I don't see why someone has to get flamed for saying they think a AT defeats the purpose of a sports car. All you guys saying that he's trolling and this and that are just as bad as a troll. If he thinks AT's suck, that's his opinion. Who gives a sh*t? In my opinion, I agree with him. A sports car with an AT makes no sense to me, thats my opinion, and I don't think I'd be wrong if I said most people would prefer a MT over an AT. It's one thing to not know how to drive MT and another to prefer an AT for reasons such as traffic, wifey, etc.. But come on, if you're driving an AT simply because you don't know how to drive a MT, learn damn it. A true sports car needs a MT, that is MY opinion.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:42 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Maybe I can offer some relevant experience. I also have a wife that won't drive a stick, and this is after several attempts at my insistence. Let's just say that every attempt failed miserably (one smashed RX7, one leased Honda traded in after just two years for an identical automatic, one Miata sold after a few months, her NEVER being able to drive in San Francisco, etc.)

So I finally realized an automatic is just not for her. It became clear that to get a car we both liked, we (I) would have to compromise. I chose a Mercedes SLK 230 because it had lots of torque and I figured a good 5-speed auto wouldn't be too bad.

Well, here I am with my manual 350Z two years later, so it worked out well in the end (she still drives the SLK and is loving it). But I would not have loved my 350Z with an auto, it would have just been a nice car (like the SLK was). But with the manual I LOVE it; it's perfect.

There's more to the tranny than how many tenths it shaves 0-60, its the whole interaction between man and machine. It's about telling the car what you want it to do instead of waiting to see what and when it does what it thinks it should. It's a completely different driving experience.

So my advice is, if it's going to be your car, make it exactly the car you want to drive. Don't compromise!

Sorry, I am one of those bad people not answering the exact question asked, but I thought my experience with wive, transmissions and cars might be interesting.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:45 PM
raceboy
Banned

Originally posted by jcedmond
Hey Racerboy... speaking of being considerate... How about getting rid of the homophobic video signature your using? We don't need that here on a car forum. Believe it or not, there are gay people reading this forum.
Dude, relax. I am about the least homophobic person you will ever meet. I couldn't care less what people do behind closed doors. That is their business. I have gay friends and when another "friend" of mine tried to talk **** to me because of it I told him I didn't need him as a friend. No one tells me what to do or who to associate with. What I can't stand is how serious people take this PC crap. Usually it has nothing to do with furthering their cause, it only has to do with financial gain. Two examples:

Kevin Smith movie Jay and Silent Bob Strike back. They were contacted about their use of the word "gay" in the movie. Kevin Smith was threatened with picketing if they didn't pay $50,000. He paid. He didn't change the movie. He just paid. Then he went public showing the hypocritical blackmail.

Case two: Jesse Jackson and Microsoft. Did you know Jesse Jackson is a consultant to Microsoft getting paid over $100,000 per year?? What does he do? Well, it's what his Rainbow Coalition doesn't do; PICKET! Jesse Jackson said Microsoft didn't have enough black employees. He threatened to picket Microsoft. Well, Bill Gates did hire one more black employee; Jesse Jackson!! Did the ratio of African American employees go up at Microsoft. Nope, but I haven't seen any picketing. That is basically how Jesse Jackson's entire organization is funded. Through blackmail. Jesse couldn't give a rat's *** about helping African Americans. He only cares about himself.

How is this for off topic!! LOL
Old 09-05-2002, 10:50 PM
GameOver

Originally posted by Dipstick

You should quit while you're still behind. Or, maybe you could just go ahead and tell all of us what kind of a car we are permitted to drive. You seem to have all the answers (at least in your mind).

Do you think a 58 year old man driving a Z is trying to give an impression of being younger than he is? Do you think it's all about appearances? That shows your immaturity. Did it ever occur to you that some people have worked their asses off for a long time, raised a family, put the kids through school, driven sedans and minivans to haul the kids around in, and now finally has the money and the freedom to buy a 2-seater? Do you think that guy gives a crap about what you or anyone else thinks about his choice of ride? Don't flatter yourself.

And that comment of yours about having trouble getting in and out of the car.... did you think that up all by yourself? That was really witty.

Note to Mods: As I feared it would when I started it, this thread has gone in the crapper. Please feel free to close it or delete it if you want.

too bad youre not in the bay area to c what I mean; specifically in silicon valley!

"..... its the whole interaction between man and machine. It's about telling the car what you want it to do instead of waiting to see what and when it does what it thinks it should. It's a completely different driving experience...." <-------those are the words I was looking for!!!!!!

INTERACTION BETWEEN MAN AND MACHINE

thank you!

Last edited by GameOver; 09-05-2002 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-06-2002, 05:04 AM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Cool

As much as I hate to bring this thread back on topic...read the current edition of Sport Z Magazine for a full review of the 5spd AT
Old 09-06-2002, 05:08 AM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Cool

Let's hear it for us old guys with AT
Old 09-06-2002, 05:51 AM
jcedmond

Sorry Raceboy.. but actions speak louder than words....

Quick Reply: Z Owners with Automatics - How do you like it?