Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Z Owners with Automatics - How do you like it?

Old 12-05-2012, 12:23 PM
antifungal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 35thannyZowner
I did look at the Porsche Cayman, but the Z had more power, and a nicer interior.

I couldn't find a pic of the '05, but here is an '06 Nismo convertible sales video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHWmx5vdpwY
lol
Old 12-05-2012, 01:13 PM
KDsZ

Smile I am an AT fan.

Originally Posted by Tubbs SF
I got the auto and am absolutely satisfied. I drove a manual for four years before this car, and find more enjoyment with the auto. I too almost got sucked into this stigma that a man must drive stick, but screw it. My ankle is no longer tired after an hour in stop and go bay area traffic. I don't race, so I dont need to downshift on the freeway, and if i do get into the occasion stoplight to stoplight foray, or freeway straighaway speed contest, i could still toast most cars. And though many on this board will disagree with me, i could beat most 350Z manual drivers in a 0-60, since most people dont know how to properly drop a clutch.
More on the point of the original purpose of this thread, the car is a blast to drive with auto, very smooth shifting. I havent really tried the tiptronic mode, since i would like to be able to take it up to 6500 rpm to try the different torque points, right now it is pointless. I would definately enjoy the manual, but I dont know how much more (or less) so than the auto.
I like to cruise, I like the smooth drive, and I like having a sub 0-60 car. This is a personal decision, I don't see why some others feel they need to superimpose their predisposed notion on what a sports car is onto others. If it makes those people happy, dont think of my Z as a sports car, just think of it as a car, that looks like yours, that has the same engine as yours, that probably is faster than yours (if you are the average driver)...but no, my Z isnt a sports car. Sorry, have heard a lot on this subject recently, and I wanted to vent. Dont mean to start a flame war.

Cheers,
Tubbs
I originally got the AT after much research into the basic characteristic of the car...what sold me was the AT has a better torque band than the MT. I have had many MT vehicles in the past (including a 1972 240Z) which I loved. I have had my Zed for over 10 years now and continue to enjoy it. So, evaluate what you want in a car and check the spec's, then make a decision. Really, though, all configurations are good with the Z!
Old 12-05-2012, 01:18 PM
antifungal

Originally Posted by KDsZ
I originally got the AT after much research into the basic characteristic of the car...what sold me was the AT has a better torque band than the MT. I have had many MT vehicles in the past (including a 1972 240Z) which I loved. I have had my Zed for over 10 years now and continue to enjoy it. So, evaluate what you want in a car and check the spec's, then make a decision. Really, though, all configurations are good with the Z!
strongest join date to post count
Old 12-05-2012, 04:45 PM
GunslingerG34

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another thing many here are failing to consider is that the primary difference you perceive in acceleration between AT v MT is due to the fact that they have completely different gear ratios in the differentials (Auto = 3.357:1, Manual = 3.538:1). Put a 3.5 rear chunk from a MT into an AT 350Z and see how much of a difference there is!!! I wish I could find something along the lines of a 3.73:1 rear, but if it is made I haven't found one yet. Besides, a 3.54 rear is an excellent all-around ratio and works well with the automatic transmission (a 3.9 seems to be a bit too much for most applications using an Automatic, but I'm sure someone could make it work well with a bit of tweaking).
Old 12-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Bumble Z

use to have a yellow 5AT only fun in manual mode now 6MT nismo... no looking back it feels like a sports car is suppose to feel imo....
Old 12-05-2012, 07:52 PM
WEARERAD1CAL

Originally Posted by GameOver
I dont think theres room for debate in wether to buy an auto or a manual, I think this decision is pretty straightforward to the TRUE enthusiast. Those that JUST want to be seen in the car, those that just want to draw attention then have to pay a price.....a price that you might end up paying. Ur going to sacrifice the true feeling of a sports car just cuz she doesnt want to learn how to drive manual?? Im perceiving that the car would be for you NOT for her. Now, if the car is for her, for her to drive 95% of the time then get the AT. Its your hard earned money not mine.

This has been a 24yr old's perspective

later

AND Im not a troll, Im just laying the facts just how they are.

lemme tell you more: in every family there should be a family car <suv, minivan or whatever> as long as theres a fam car then there wont be room for debate in whatever car I want as my daily driver!

And then there's those of us that commute in a very crowded city that don't feel like dealing with shifting in bumper to bumper traffic. Not everyone buys a AZ to drive it like a race car.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Jcope

I will actually answer your question. I own a auto 2005 350z and I love it. I miss manual at times but overall I don't regret my decision. As for the triptronic system it isn't anything special. You can accelerate to red line and everything but its still not manual. If you want the feeling of shifting through trip then just go with manual. If you want an auto then go auto. You won't regret your decision. I test drove both and went with auto because it was a slightly better deal.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:12 PM
herrschaft

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WEARERAD1CAL
And then there's those of us that commute in a very crowded city that don't feel like dealing with shifting in bumper to bumper traffic. Not everyone buys a AZ to drive it like a race car.
And you just replied to a post thats 10 years old

Last edited by herrschaft; 12-05-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:48 AM
ZivBnd

I am in the same boat, so to speak. I wanted a 'back roads' car for road trips that I could use in heavily trafficed DC metro areas as well. I looked at the Boxster and the Z and it wasn't even close. The Z was the car I wanted, so I went out looking and drove 16 or 17 Z's. All but 2 were rodded to death and the two that weren't were over $14,000. I got a very clean, completely stock 2004 AT Touring with 89k miles for $9700 last year.
The auto transmission almost killed the deal for me, but it turns out that what I thought was a huge negative is in fact neutral. I use my Z a lot more than I thought I would, in fact it is my daily driver and using a manual in the traffic around here would be a pain at times. It is no track car, but it does almost everything else very well.
Finally, I don't think it is a coincidence that out of the 17 cars I looked at, the auto was in the best condition of all of the Z's I looked at, except for the two MT's that were over $14k.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 AM
chitownpete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my 6speed MT in my 04 but if I actually drove this car for transportation I would def get the Auto. I put 3000 miles a year on my Z on sunny days only and never sit in stop and go traffic. The novelty of the stick never wears off because my Z just collects dust much of the time. My Z better love me, it leads a very easy life. With 30,000 miles it should last me a while.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:04 PM
trains1937

Received 116 Likes on 13 Posts

I tried to read some of the responses but got tired of all the MT versus AT stuff. It all boils down to your personal preference. I have an AT and the car is a total joy for me whether it involves acceleration, handling, looks, etc. the transmission is extremely smooth and responsive. No matter what, its a great little car and it will be mine for as long as I can drive.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:45 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

If you want an auto car, then get a damn sedan. Sports cars are meant to have 3 pedals. I even hate, but respect, the new dual clutch trannies. I respect them for how fast they are but manuals can never be replaced. When done right, you will always have more control over a manual car then an auto.

My peronal opinion is that most car makers include auto on sports cars to make the car have a broader consumer market. Now 50 year old moms can drive a Porsche and things like this irks me whenever I see it. Even on a supercar level, now everybody that can afford a supercar can drive a supercar. It used to be that a certain level of skill was needed to be able to control a supercar.

Unfortunatly they just make it too easy to be able to get you license in America, so 99% of the population barely does what they need to do to learn how to drive just so they pass, and it shows on the road with all the jackasses.

End rant.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:30 PM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
If you want an auto car, then get a damn sedan. Sports cars are meant to have 3 pedals. I even hate, but respect, the new dual clutch trannies. I respect them for how fast they are but manuals can never be replaced. When done right, you will always have more control over a manual car then an auto.

My peronal opinion is that most car makers include auto on sports cars to make the car have a broader consumer market. Now 50 year old moms can drive a Porsche and things like this irks me whenever I see it. Even on a supercar level, now everybody that can afford a supercar can drive a supercar. It used to be that a certain level of skill was needed to be able to control a supercar.

Unfortunatly they just make it too easy to be able to get you license in America, so 99% of the population barely does what they need to do to learn how to drive just so they pass, and it shows on the road with all the jackasses.

End rant.
cool story bro, everybody is different, but if your tripping about more control with a manual, thats a crap reason to say a manual is better than an auto, track your car and see yourself get taken by all the people with those autos. a tranny doesnt drive your car, you do, just because you have an auto or a manual doesnt mean you dont know what throttle response, shift time, engine lag, etc is.

best mod for car = better driver.

Last edited by stuartc323; 12-13-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:07 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by stuartc323
cool story bro, everybody is different, but if your tripping about more control with a manual, thats a crap reason to say a manual is better than an auto, track your car and see yourself get taken by all the people with those autos. a tranny doesnt drive your car, you do, just because you have an auto or a manual doesnt mean you dont know what throttle response, shift time, engine lag, etc is.

best mod for car = better driver.
Hence why I said "WHEN DONE RIGHT"

Agreed the best mod is a better driver, but no doubt about it that you have more control in a manual.

How do you immediatly cut the power to the wheels and not have the engine slow you down? I push the clutch in. What can you do? Drive both in the snow and it will show you how much more control you have in a manual.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:13 PM
romeov

I purposefully waited until I found a 5AT as it was exactly what I wanted. And I've been driving MT for years. This isn't some Camry transmission, it responds to every nuance of your foot, and will downshift and redline if you even hint you want more power. It also burns out from a stop (my previous DSM needed a high rev torque converter to do that)

As far as manual mode, I can redline it whenever I want, downshift on the highway in about a second, and yes there is a delay in normal manual shifting, but as soon as you learn how long it is, you can simply avoid it by shifting that much sooner. Now that I know exactly the timing of the delay, I switch that much sooner and it is perfect.

And when I'm tired as hell after work and just zoning out driving home I don't even have to pay attention, it just drives itself.

just my 2 cents
Old 12-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Manjot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At times I wish I had manual. Other times I appreciate having auto. Both are awesome.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:40 AM
dexrod

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sorry to say. A "Z" does not belong in a traffic jam. I have a 2004 Acura TL with AT and a 2004 Nissan 350Z with MT. The Acura is full of performance bolt ons. I just got really bored driving it. I gave it to my fiancee. She loves it. She put little pink stickers all over it...lol I had to get back into a MT. It just doesnt feel like a sports car without a MT.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:55 AM
herrschaft

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dexrod
...A "Z" does not belong in a traffic jam...
???
Old 12-27-2012, 11:05 AM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by dexrod
I am sorry to say. A "Z" does not belong in a traffic jam. I have a 2004 Acura TL with AT and a 2004 Nissan 350Z with MT. The Acura is full of performance bolt ons. I just got really bored driving it. I gave it to my fiancee. She loves it. She put little pink stickers all over it...lol I had to get back into a MT. It just doesnt feel like a sports car without a MT.

Originally Posted by herrschaft
???
same here idk what that means lol
Old 12-27-2012, 11:09 AM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
Hence why I said "WHEN DONE RIGHT"

Agreed the best mod is a better driver, but no doubt about it that you have more control in a manual.

How do you immediatly cut the power to the wheels and not have the engine slow you down? I push the clutch in. What can you do? Drive both in the snow and it will show you how much more control you have in a manual.
thats probably the only thing you can do in a manual that you cant do in an auto. I dont understand how that would give you more control in the snow, further more i dont have that issue because i live in a place where we dont have seasons and im never driving my z in the snow so i dont see how that gives you more control.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Z Owners with Automatics - How do you like it?