Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z Owners with Automatics - How do you like it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 12:12 PM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by stuartc323
thats probably the only thing you can do in a manual that you cant do in an auto. I dont understand how that would give you more control in the snow, further more i dont have that issue because i live in a place where we dont have seasons and im never driving my z in the snow so i dont see how that gives you more control.
Did you ever drive in the snow? It makes a huge difference. Even just starting you can slip the clutch to put exactly how much power down.

I'm just saying, automatics are available in most sports cars now so girls can buy them too. The manufacturers need to extend their products to all possible consumers.

The only way I will every get an auto in my life is 1. If my health forces me to get 1 or 2. I have enough money where the cars I am looking at have insane transmissions such as Ferraris and Lambos.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:55 PM
dexrod

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by herrschaft
???
OK Guys... All the Automatic People were saying... The best thing about having an automatic tranny was because if you were stuck in traffic it helps. It might have been from posts on the previous page. When I was younger and drove a 300zx turbo, I used to ride the exit and entrance lane when there was traffic on the freeway. I am sorry for the confussion.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:56 PM
herrschaft

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dexrod
OK Guys... All the Automatic People were saying... The best thing about having an automatic tranny was because if you were stuck in traffic it helps. It might have been from posts on the previous page. When I was younger and drove a 300zx turbo, I used to ride the exit and entrance lane when there was traffic on the freeway. I am sorry for the confussion.
In Socal it doesn't matter which lane your in, the mass of retards in this state manage to bring all 4, sometimes 5 lanes to a halt almost daily. The last manual car I drove had a soft clutch so traffic never bothered me, never drove a 6MT Z though.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:00 PM
stuartc323

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
Did you ever drive in the snow? It makes a huge difference. Even just starting you can slip the clutch to put exactly how much power down.

I'm just saying, automatics are available in most sports cars now so girls can buy them too. The manufacturers need to extend their products to all possible consumers.

The only way I will every get an auto in my life is 1. If my health forces me to get 1 or 2. I have enough money where the cars I am looking at have insane transmissions such as Ferraris and Lambos.
I have driven in the snow before but only in a truck, on the other hand if you know the throttle response of your auto tranny and you have the tiptronic trans you can absolutely control how much power is going to the wheels. either way it goes though snow = 4x4 chevy, not my z
Old 12-27-2012, 03:09 PM
red roadster

Mine's a AT and WE like it, its a fun car for us not a racer. By the way at work daily, I shift a MT several hundred times, yes I drive a truck. So when it comes time for fun time in a fun car AT is fine for me. Did think about the MT though but no regrets here.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:07 PM
stuartc323

BTW I got mine auto because im planning to go FI supercharger in a year
Old 12-28-2012, 05:52 AM
NC Z

My z is auto/manual (no clutch when in manual). To be honest, i wish i had just a manual. You just dont get the same riding experience.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:23 AM
stevehl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I could do it again I would get a manual, it gets boring really quick. But then again my friends who drive mt want an auto cuz of traffic.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:22 AM
ParanoidAndroid

went from manual to auto? wtf why not buy a cheap *** daily with auto for 'traffic'?
Old 12-28-2012, 11:28 AM
vorttam

I went with AT because its my daily drive car. Owned MT in the past. Yes I like them, but don't like driving in stop and go traffic. Not sure if AT comes standard like mine, but I have the option to switch to MT if I wanted to and be in control of the gear shifting. kinda like a mullet AT. " business during the day with auto, fun at night with MT"
Old 12-28-2012, 12:29 PM
JaE35z

I prefer the versatility of an automatic but then again i drive a g35 sedan lol
Old 12-29-2012, 07:18 AM
SQuaLZ

I hate when people say their car is part manual because it has tiptronic, thats just retarded. And no matter what, the computer can always override a gear selection. Not on my MT its all me choosing the gears when I want them.

Btw both my cars are MT. I would always prefer buying a beater in MT since you can tell the wear on the tranny by feeling the clutch and the synchros and gear engagement. You can buy an AT and next week the tranny can blow and it is unexpected. Happened to a buddy of mine, ever since then he only bought MT beaters
Old 12-29-2012, 07:23 AM
SQuaLZ

I am just against all electronic aids. This is why so many jackasses are on the road now, because its to "easy"

I love that my car is a base. I made me respect it thar much more since I always know I don't have tcs or vdc to save me, its always just me, which makes it that much more exciting.

I dont care what anybody says, sports cars are supposed to be fun, and an AT will NEVER be more fun than an MT in identical cars, just impossible.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:16 AM
vorttam

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
I hate when people say their car is part manual because it has tiptronic, thats just retarded. And no matter what, the computer can always override a gear selection. Not on my MT its all me choosing the gears when I want them.

Btw both my cars are MT. I would always prefer buying a beater in MT since you can tell the wear on the tranny by feeling the clutch and the synchros and gear engagement. You can buy an AT and next week the tranny can blow and it is unexpected. Happened to a buddy of mine, ever since then he only bought MT beaters
I never had the car override me when I go into MT

Last edited by vorttam; 12-29-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:28 PM
ParanoidAndroid

lolololololololololololololololololol all these people trying to justify the fail in automatic
Old 12-29-2012, 12:35 PM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid
lolololololololololololololololololol all these people trying to justify the fail in automatic
Cool story, michael schumacher. Your manual transmission makes you god.

My Z is my dd thats why i got auto, im lazy after i get off work. doesnt matter though, there is no major difference.

Last edited by stuartc323; 12-29-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:50 PM
JaE35z

The AT vs MT argument has no end...at the end of the day i don't feel bad driving an auto due to MT's dropping off the market like flies.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:55 PM
ParanoidAndroid

Why didnt u just get a g35?
Old 12-29-2012, 06:57 PM
ParanoidAndroid

My z is also my daily also 6sp. Also tired after work. It doesnt take that much effort to drive a manual.....the gear box is like butter u can 1 finger flick shift it. And clutch isnt even that stiff.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:27 AM
stuartc323

Why didnt u just get a g35?
Didnt want the back seat, plus ive always wanted a Z.

My z is also my daily also 6sp. Also tired after work. It doesnt take that much effort to drive a manual.....the gear box is like butter u can 1 finger flick shift it. And clutch isnt even that stiff.
This is true, the auto or manual tranny issue doesnt matter to me, i just wanted something with more oomph than my v6 s10. I can drive either transmission perfectly fine (dad taught me to drive in his el camino, mom taught me to drive in her porsche), just a matter of learning the car and its limits.

When I autocross the car doesnt shiit on me it responds like i want it to, so for a sports car, the z's auto tranny is one of the best, but if it was another car that had a auto tranny that wasnt that great i would get a manual version of it. I test drove both types, automatic was cheaper by 2k, figured since the auto didnt take away from any performance thats why i bought it.

Quick Reply: Z Owners with Automatics - How do you like it?