Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z Owners with Automatics - How do you like it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 08:21 AM
GameOver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whoever bought it with an automatic just wasted their money.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:28 AM
Bobg

That's a mature statement. The car is no 911. It is a beautiful, handling automobile.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:31 AM
Brad4rdHay

Well, theres no way an auto can feel as conected and sporty as a manual, but as far as autos go, the Z has one of the best in the biz. They received ovor 100 patents for the tranny, and its talked about how its lighter than most. So i would expect a .3-.6 second loss, depending on the manual driver.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:58 AM
GameOver

I dont think theres room for debate in wether to buy an auto or a manual, I think this decision is pretty straightforward to the TRUE enthusiast. Those that JUST want to be seen in the car, those that just want to draw attention then have to pay a price.....a price that you might end up paying. Ur going to sacrifice the true feeling of a sports car just cuz she doesnt want to learn how to drive manual?? Im perceiving that the car would be for you NOT for her. Now, if the car is for her, for her to drive 95% of the time then get the AT. Its your hard earned money not mine.

This has been a 24yr old's perspective

later

AND Im not a troll, Im just laying the facts just how they are.

lemme tell you more: in every family there should be a family car <suv, minivan or whatever> as long as theres a fam car then there wont be room for debate in whatever car I want as my daily driver!

Last edited by GameOver; 09-05-2002 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-05-2002, 12:12 PM
raceboy
Banned

Originally posted by Dipstick

My wife cannot drive a MT, and she refuses to learn. Personally, I'd rather have a MT, and if all the Z owners tell me the AT sucks, I'll probably get an MT. But, if the enjoyment penalty is not too great, I'd get an AT just to be considerate of my wife.
I am not trying to be a smartass, but how about your wife being considerate of you? She refuses to learn?? Unless there is something physically wrong with you then there is no reason to not know how to drive a stick. What if there was an emergency and she had to drive one? Hell, it takes less than an hour to learn how to drive a stick and then you won't have to make this concession. One hour on her part, vs your entire time with the car. From the sound of your post it is clear you would prefer an MT. Seems pretty simple to me.
Old 09-05-2002, 12:32 PM
Boomer

Default True enthusiast

Originally posted by GameOver
I dont think theres room for debate in wether to buy an auto or a manual, I think this decision is pretty straightforward to the TRUE enthusiast. Those that JUST want to be seen in the car, those that just want to draw attention then have to pay a price.....a price that you might end up paying. Ur going to sacrifice the true feeling of a sports car just cuz she doesnt want to learn how to drive manual?? Im perceiving that the car would be for you NOT for her. Now, if the car is for her, for her to drive 95% of the time then get the AT. Its your hard earned money not mine.

This has been a 24yr old's perspective

later

AND Im not a troll, Im just laying the facts just how they are.

lemme tell you more: in every family there should be a family car <suv, minivan or whatever> as long as theres a fam car then there wont be room for debate in whatever car I want as my daily driver!
I am 58 years old and I am buying the Zwith a AT because I want one. I have been driving MTs for 35 years, starting with my first new car, a 1965 Triumph TR4 with a 4spd. I have owned cars with MTs for longer than you have been on this earth and I am supposed to listen to you make sweeping statements about who is a true enthusiast? Get a life and get off this thread unless you have something to contribute to the original question.

You better go back to the beginning of this forum and read the rules of conduct, you can be banned permanently from the site. This forum is for discussion, not for immature declarations like you just made.

Boomer
BR/FR/AT

Last edited by Boomer; 09-05-2002 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:06 PM
vanstorm16

whoever bought it with an automatic just wasted their money.
Although I don't agree with what GameOver has written, I do believe that he is entitled to his own opinion. However, that said, there is no room for flaming on people like that man. If you're going to post something like that, at least make a contribution to the discussion in the thread. Do YOU drive an automatic 350Z? I don't but I'm just trying to make a point. Sure, you can share your opinion but might I suggest doing it in a way that's less susceptible to criticism?

Last edited by vanstorm16; 09-05-2002 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:14 PM
Zoro

Default Re: True enthusiast

Originally posted by Boomer

I am 58 years old and I am buying the Zwith a AT because I want one. I have been driving MTs for 35 years, starting with my first new car, a 1965 Triumph TR4 with a 4spd. I have owned cars with MTs for longer than you have been on this earth and I am supposed to listen to you make sweeping statements about who is a true enthusiast? Get a life and get off this thread unless you have something to contribute to the original question.

You better go back to the beginning of this forum and read the rules of conduct, you can be banned permanently from the site. This forum is for discussion, not for immature declarations like you just made.

Boomer
BR/FR/AT
Right on Boomer, not quite that far on the age stick here, but I'm just as tired of those with 16 year old mentalities telling me what kinda transmission I have to have, or else I'm not a sports car enthusiast.

I have 2 cars with sticks already 2 with autos another due in a couple of weeks with an 5AT and plan on buying a s2000 next summer with a manual. I suppose because I have a Z coming in with an AT5 I'm not a enthusiast?

BTW I haven't heard of any AT5 owners crying because their transmissions are making grinding sounds in 3rd and 4th. Must be because their not true sports car enthusiast, huh?

I don't mean to knock the young guys on this board, just the guys that act like 16yr olds.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:25 PM
GameOver

whatever!

its pretty subjective to say whos not mature enough Boomer. Geeez by 58 Ill be driving a sedan I sure wont be making the impression of what Im not.

take care

the fact of the matter is that if you get ANY sports car with an AT you'll be wasting your money; that defeats its whole purpose/spirit.

Why buy a car in which youll have trouble getting in and out of it. ........thats just my perspective.

if you want one go for it!
Old 09-05-2002, 01:29 PM
Tubbs SF
Charter Member #85

I got the auto and am absolutely satisfied. I drove a manual for four years before this car, and find more enjoyment with the auto. I too almost got sucked into this stigma that a man must drive stick, but screw it. My ankle is no longer tired after an hour in stop and go bay area traffic. I don't race, so I dont need to downshift on the freeway, and if i do get into the occasion stoplight to stoplight foray, or freeway straighaway speed contest, i could still toast most cars. And though many on this board will disagree with me, i could beat most 350Z manual drivers in a 0-60, since most people dont know how to properly drop a clutch.
More on the point of the original purpose of this thread, the car is a blast to drive with auto, very smooth shifting. I havent really tried the tiptronic mode, since i would like to be able to take it up to 6500 rpm to try the different torque points, right now it is pointless. I would definately enjoy the manual, but I dont know how much more (or less) so than the auto.
I like to cruise, I like the smooth drive, and I like having a sub 0-60 car. This is a personal decision, I don't see why some others feel they need to superimpose their predisposed notion on what a sports car is onto others. If it makes those people happy, dont think of my Z as a sports car, just think of it as a car, that looks like yours, that has the same engine as yours, that probably is faster than yours (if you are the average driver)...but no, my Z isnt a sports car. Sorry, have heard a lot on this subject recently, and I wanted to vent. Dont mean to start a flame war.

Cheers,
Tubbs

Last edited by Tubbs SF; 09-05-2002 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:35 PM
GameOver

Originally posted by VQracer
So a Ferrari with automatic F1 tranny is bad?

I don't think so. Why don't you leave the 16 year old remarks to a 16 year old!
man, thats totally different, thats like nearly f1 shifting. Thats gotta be really cool!

a car that fast doesnt need a manual
Old 09-05-2002, 02:11 PM
Mez jr

actually the ferrari F1 tranny is an electronically shifted manual, not a true auto tranny with a torque converter and all.

on a side note, who cares what the other guys get, let the auto guys get an auto, and dont give them crap! theyre trying to have a real discussion, about the specific tranny, not auto vs manual debate.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:15 PM
VaGentleman

Ya know what??? I like AT...I ordered AT...nuff said
Old 09-05-2002, 02:16 PM
Grey Matter

I purchased a 350Z w/5AT for various reasons (one of which was I did not preorder and this car was available @MSRP on 8/21). There are many pros and cons and debates about manual vs. stick. Basicly I feel that it is the choice of the person paying for the car, and there is no reason to criticize someone for their purchase. Just because it is not a stick doen't mean that the person isn't a enthusiast or a performance driver. Autos are getting better every year. Just look at the BMW's SMG, Ferraris F1, Mercedes AMGs etc. These all let you drive the car as an auto, and in some cases might be faster in that mode vs. a regular driver with a manual.

This is my .02.......hope for no flames

As for the original question, it seems to perform very nicely. The manual function works very good, with quick shifts. I will have to wait untill the car is broken in to really push it (half way there). I will post my opion once I get to that point, and maybe have a few race stories to tell by then.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:33 PM
VaGentleman

Originally posted by Dipstick

You should quit while you're still behind. Or, maybe you could just go ahead and tell all of us what kind of a car we are permitted to drive. You seem to have all the answers (at least in your mind).

Do you think a 58 year old man driving a Z is trying to give an impression of being younger than he is? Do you think it's all about appearances? That shows your immaturity. Did it ever occur to you that some people have worked their asses off for a long time, raised a family, put the kids through school, driven sedans and minivans to haul the kids around in, and now finally has the money and the freedom to buy a 2-seater? Do you think that guy gives a crap about what you or anyone else thinks about his choice of ride? Don't flatter yourself.

And that comment of yours about having trouble getting in and out of the car.... did you think that up all by yourself? That was really witty.

Note to Mods: As I feared it would when I started it, this thread has gone in the crapper. Please feel free to close it or delete it if you want.

Amen Dipstick!!

What does it matter to y'all MT's?? Can't we enjoy what we have and are able to drive? I could learn MT..but why?..to satisfy your egos...I think not! Those who enjoy shifting..go Mt!! those who don't ....AT!! Free will is nice concept no??

Quick Reply: Z Owners with Automatics - How do you like it?