Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the most pointless part of the car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 10:42 PM
firulice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What about the crappy gas cap holder. How many times have you banged that bastard on your paint?
Good call, I hate that!!

I like the lining in the ash tray, keeps my change from rattling.

The only thing I would take off my Z right now is the top, but it's way too cold out!
Old 12-12-2005, 12:04 AM
bigplayray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what i hate is the way the *** end of the car likes to fish tail really bad.......maybe when i get new tires it wont be quite as bad but for now its stomp on the gas and let off when the rear breaks loose.......
Old 12-12-2005, 11:25 AM
spacemn_spiff

Originally Posted by HighwaySpeed
The phookin zig zag shaped oil dip stick!!!!
The reason for this shape if that it has to fish all the way down to the oil filter.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:22 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Originally Posted by spcemn_spiff
The reason for this shape if that it has to fish all the way down to the oil filter.
Actually to goes to the sump, not the filter (that happens to be on the other side of the motor). The thing is, other Nissan's sporting the same motor get normal dip sticks. I think the reason they bent it into a pretzel was because of the intake tube.

Chris
Old 12-17-2005, 09:30 AM
uwaeve

I'm a fan of my dipstick, personally. It would be a lot tougher to know how much oil was in the pan otherwise.

Also, I've pulled the trim out of my trunk, and strangely enough, the rear strut tower brace is just as big without the trim as it is with it on. It's an enormous box beam, and the front and back surfaces near the floor follow those stupid sweeping contours towards the center of the car. In other words, it's nothing like the front tower brace bar.

I think the dumbest part of the car is all the DAMN WEIGHT. Heated leather seats, all that carpet and soundproofing, rustproofing, foam, plastic, rear view mirrors, cosmetic crap, plastic trim, windsheild washer fluid, spare tire, jack, hardware, passenger seat, engine cover, battery, dashboard, air conditioner, stereo, amp, speakers, leather steering, airbags, side curtain airbags, 18" wheels, nonfunctional aero trim, door handles, headlights, taillights. Pretty much everything that makes a car NOT a race car. Of course you take the weight hit from the roll cage, fire suppression system, fuel cell, data system, harness, cool suit box, helmet, etc. And when (not if) you start winning, the REWARDS weight can be a little depressing once you've just spent $60k removing/replacing everything to trim your car down.

Just my opinion.

uwaeve
Old 12-17-2005, 10:23 AM
Z MANIA
psychedelic one

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't know that there was a coat hanger behind my seat. I suppose I could hang a smurf's coat on there with the amount of room back there.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:29 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing on the Z is as pointless as this thread! LOL!
Old 12-17-2005, 10:58 AM
spacemn_spiff

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
Actually to goes to the sump, not the filter (that happens to be on the other side of the motor). The thing is, other Nissan's sporting the same motor get normal dip sticks. I think the reason they bent it into a pretzel was because of the intake tube.

Chris
If you changed the filter, you would know what I mean. And the filter is right where the gear pump and the gear pump is usually in the sump. Intake tube is all the way up, I dont know how the dip stick relates to that.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:13 PM
danroydlc

i had my Z the way i like her... her looks, curves, power, inside out, lights, handling, etc... it may seem pointless parts on you and blame nissan engineering but maybe a beneficial part for others. everything has its pupose, sooner or later you may be using those parts you claim pointless... then you say "ahh... good thing this part was here".... c",)
Old 12-17-2005, 02:39 PM
yg_jonzz

1) The flimsey passenger side cup holder
2) Any buttons on the steering wheel cause i never touch them
3) The inside trunk release
4) The rear wiper

If you can think of anymore let me know!
believe it or not the inside trunk release was introduced because some dumb car owner (i think it was honda) accidentally locked herself inside the trunk. she ended up suing and from then on car companies decided to put this function to avoid further 'tragedies'.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:04 PM
Juno

Wow...in 9 pages no one mentioned the part of the Z that I find most pointless - the seatbelt adjuster thingy. It's supposed to put the belt in a more comfortable position for shorter people, but it doesn't help me at all. Maybe I'm just too short for the Z.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:08 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Originally Posted by Juno
Wow...in 9 pages no one mentioned the part of the Z that I find most pointless - the seatbelt adjuster thingy. It's supposed to put the belt in a more comfortable position for shorter people, but it doesn't help me at all. Maybe I'm just too short for the Z.
That is not what that is for. It is so you don't have to reach behind the seat to pull out the belt and so the unused passenger belt tang does not bang around. If you don't like it I am sure there is an 03 owner that will trade seat belts with you.

Chris
Old 12-18-2005, 10:11 PM
hypeiv

Originally Posted by ZpikeZ
4) The rear wiper
hmm i use all 4... I would say the most useless thing is the cig lighter located in the rear

edit... i didn't notice you were talking about the inside turnk release... i have yet to use that yet hehe
Old 12-19-2005, 05:43 AM
Juno

That is not what that is for. It is so you don't have to reach behind the seat to pull out the belt and so the unused passenger belt tang does not bang around. If you don't like it I am sure there is an 03 owner that will trade seat belts with you.

Chris
No, it's actually for both, otherwise it wouldn't have different postitions to snap it into. I have to reach behind the seat for the belt anyway so it doesn't help with that function either.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:17 AM
the7ferret

Knee Pads
Old 12-19-2005, 10:05 AM
Beaker02

Originally Posted by ZpikeZ
After washing my car today I finally noticed the driver's side lock (where you put the key in) ... I think after almost a year of ownership this is the first time I really noticed it because I always lock/unlock with the automatic hand-held device thingie. So that brings up a question ... what part of the Z do you think is the most pointless? I vote for that cause I have never used it once. Other pointless items include:

4) The rear wiper

If you can think of anymore let me know!
1) The flimsey passenger side cup holder....Nope, use it every day.
2) Any buttons on the steering wheel cause i never touch them.....Nope, sometimes on long trips I do use the cruizer
3) The inside trunk release....Hmmm. Nope, I have a feeling if the day comes I ever need it, i;ll really need it.
4) The rear wiper....Hmmmm. Kinda. I doi use it sometimes and i've never thought of ripping it off some some have.
5) Driver side door lock....Nope. You'll be glad it's there the day your batt is dead or your keyfob dies.

So my pick would have to be........
All the dead weight crap in the car with the BOSE logos on it that you have to rip out in order to put a sound system in the car.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:20 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The most pointless part of the car?? Oh that's easy, it's the exterior color.

They all pretty much look good, so THERE!
Old 12-19-2005, 11:25 AM
L337350

Originally Posted by Z MANIA
I didn't know that there was a coat hanger behind my seat. I suppose I could hang a smurf's coat on there with the amount of room back there.

yeah, i tried to use this a few days ago and all i have are plastic hangers.. they dont even fit in the z's coat hanger! only a metal hanger would fit and i didn't have any..

and even if you do get the hanger on there, the coat would be smashed between the seat and the plastic behind it. not very useful
Old 12-19-2005, 01:34 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Originally Posted by L337350
yeah, i tried to use this a few days ago and all i have are plastic hangers.. they dont even fit in the z's coat hanger! only a metal hanger would fit and i didn't have any..

and even if you do get the hanger on there, the coat would be smashed between the seat and the plastic behind it. not very useful
This hook is not for hangers, it is for hanging a coat that has a loop stitched in the collar.

Chris
Old 12-28-2005, 04:50 PM
Beaker02

This hook is not for hangers, it is for hanging a coat that has a loop stitched in the collar.

Chris
Hmmm. I did not know that. now I have to go look.

Quick Reply: What is the most pointless part of the car?