Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is the 350z becoming a civic, rather than a Supra?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 07:12 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts
Default Why is the 350z becoming a civic, rather than a Supra?

Most of us are aware of the 350z's transition into a ricer favorite over the past few years, and we can't help but notice the unfortunate following in the footsteps of the Acura integra, Honda civic, etc. As eBay parts, auto zone modifications, and wheels made in china are becoming more and more common, there's no denying that the 350 is becoming more of a graduation present rather than a respected and discontinued sports car. Why are tasteful modifications being replaced by the mindset "just plastidip it bro"?

I can't help but wonder why the now discontinued 350 doesnt look like it will be taking the path of the Toyota supra, Mazda rx7, and the Acura NSX. Cars that were able to hold their value, avoid the rice scene, and remain a respected vehicle decades later. Is it because the 350 was immediately succeeded by the 370, and many owners chose to pass on their 350 to the younger generation so they could upgrade? Or simply has not enough time passed to allow for the poorly taken care of 350s to explode or get totalled in an accident, leaving only the pristine, low-ish mileage 350s to hang around and rehabilitate the Z's reputation and value? Or was the Z just too popular of a car for this to ever happen?

Just something to think about. Any thoughts/ideas?
Old 08-16-2012, 07:17 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

because racecar...
Old 08-16-2012, 07:25 AM
konrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that there were just so many sold that it lost its value, same goes for the g35 coupe. You don't see to many nismo 350z riced out, thats because they are rare
Old 08-16-2012, 07:58 AM
05UltraYellow

Agreed. too many sold..
a 3.5 NA coupe isnt anything special. of course as owners we now how amazing they are, and 95% of respect them, and would love to see them go down in history like the mk4 supra and FD rx7's... but i dont think it will happen
with price continuing to drop, and IQ of new owners steadily decreasing, cheap tastless mods are the apparently the best option for them
smh....
Old 08-16-2012, 08:30 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Phenom
I can't help but wonder why the now discontinued 350 doesnt look like it will be taking the path of the Toyota supra, ...., and the Acura NSX.
Whole lot more 350Z made than those, therefore cheaper to obtain. More aftermarket crap available, etc.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:47 AM
supanam

from the get go they did it wrong...

RX7s had a few generations but the ones that are worth money now-a-days are the turbo charged ones.

Supras are the same deal - valued ones are the turbo charged ones.

NSX is a different class in its own as the design was way ahead of its time - and started off as a $90K sports car.

The Nissan 350z was - sad to say - but a poor man's porsche. many statements in different articles was "affordable fun" it was directed towards lighter wallets to begin with. and the "rare coveted model" was the Nismo edition which has the same engine platform - just a huge body kit and better suspension, imo - not very attractive, maybe to a very select few of the market.

True car enthusiast can appreciate the power platform of the HR motors - but the DE lacked a bit... add a very heavy weight car on to that and you have disappointment. the 350Z is a beautiful car on the outside. but with full bolt on modifications and a tune... the DE motor typically pushes 260whp on a 3400lb car isn't very desirable. weight to power ratio is way to low. Nissan finally figured it all out in 07/08 when they came out with the HR motor. fixing a lot of air flow and power platform issues. only to run in to the Concentric Slave Cylinder issue - by that time people were already invested too far into the DE motors, aftermarket parts for the VQ35HR motor started to come out into the market (typically takes 2 -3 years before manufactures come out with products) and then nissan jumped the design to the VQ37HR.

Sadly - still no F/I. but they decided to turbo the Juke . the DE then became a thing of the past - the HR was for folks who had enough money to get something above the HR but not enough to go for the 37HR.

All in all - weight to power ration is what killed the 350z to become a highly coveted sports car. i personally love it due to the body lines - the performance is just enough to have fun with but not enough to be crazy about. then once you add on all power mods to get into the "big boy league" you could have spent money on an already faster car and still have money left over.

and like the market of hondas and acuras... the 350z is now the even more affordable sports car. targeting the likes of kids with a little more money than honda money. and with the EG and EK hondas becoming more and more rare - its better to spend a little more money and get an 03/04 350z for $7 or 8,000. of course thats all the money they have and what ever is left can only afford spectre air filters, made in china rims, and a couple of autozone hood/fender badges.

but no matter what... i still <3 my Z.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Syner

Originally Posted by supanam
from the get go they did it wrong...

RX7s had a few generations but the ones that are worth money now-a-days are the turbo charged ones.

Supras are the same deal - valued ones are the turbo charged ones.

NSX is a different class in its own as the design was way ahead of its time - and started off as a $90K sports car.

The Nissan 350z was - sad to say - but a poor man's porsche. many statements in different articles was "affordable fun" it was directed towards lighter wallets to begin with. and the "rare coveted model" was the Nismo edition which has the same engine platform - just a huge body kit and better suspension, imo - not very attractive, maybe to a very select few of the market.

True car enthusiast can appreciate the power platform of the HR motors - but the DE lacked a bit... add a very heavy weight car on to that and you have disappointment. the 350Z is a beautiful car on the outside. but with full bolt on modifications and a tune... the DE motor typically pushes 260whp on a 3400lb car isn't very desirable. weight to power ratio is way to low. Nissan finally figured it all out in 07/08 when they came out with the HR motor. fixing a lot of air flow and power platform issues. only to run in to the Concentric Slave Cylinder issue - by that time people were already invested too far into the DE motors, aftermarket parts for the VQ35HR motor started to come out into the market (typically takes 2 -3 years before manufactures come out with products) and then nissan jumped the design to the VQ37HR.

Sadly - still no F/I. but they decided to turbo the Juke . the DE then became a thing of the past - the HR was for folks who had enough money to get something above the HR but not enough to go for the 37HR.

All in all - weight to power ration is what killed the 350z to become a highly coveted sports car. i personally love it due to the body lines - the performance is just enough to have fun with but not enough to be crazy about. then once you add on all power mods to get into the "big boy league" you could have spent money on an already faster car and still have money left over.

and like the market of hondas and acuras... the 350z is now the even more affordable sports car. targeting the likes of kids with a little more money than honda money. and with the EG and EK hondas becoming more and more rare - its better to spend a little more money and get an 03/04 350z for $7 or 8,000. of course thats all the money they have and what ever is left can only afford spectre air filters, made in china rims, and a couple of autozone hood/fender badges.

but no matter what... i still <3 my Z.

The lack of F/I definitely hurt it.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:09 AM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's probably because you stopped playing Modern Warfare.

Seriously though dude, you are smarter than this. The easy answer.......volume.

Last edited by AroundMyHorn; 08-16-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Amirs350z

Just how the cookie crumbles with cars like these. If you intend to wait for that "golden age" if it ever happens, keep your Z in pristine condition. And even if it doesn't, it's still a good car. Who cares if some 16 year old has one.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:29 AM
2bad240

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Wait 10 years
Old 08-16-2012, 09:34 AM
F34RL355
Banned

seriously? who cares? u like the z? or do u care if other people like it? if i loved civics i would have one who gives a crap. get what u want own what u like. who cares what it is
Old 08-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Originally Posted by AroundMyHorn

Seriously though dude, you are smarter than this. The easy answer.......volume.
Admittedly I don't know nearly as much about the supra, nsx, and rx7 as I know about the Z, so I really had no idea how many used to be around. They were in their prime before my time, or before I was into cars anyway.

And in retrospect I don't know what I was thinking grouping the nsx in there. I forgot that they cost that much new. So that was a reasoning mistake on my part.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Originally Posted by F34RL355
seriously? who cares?
Its something to think about/discuss
Old 08-16-2012, 10:14 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

its climate.. when the supra was around, there wasnt a tuner market.. it was a very small niche.

As a guy building a Z32 back in the 90s.. it was a much smaller world back then.

Just is what it is.

All i know is that all these 350z that look like crap do nothing to tarnish mine.
It just makes me go harder on what I do. Huge valley between the common 350z and mine ( alot of ours i mean) ... at a stop light, thers usually no comparison.. so in that sense, doenst bother me that its the new civic.. it may be an affordbale car for somene whos only got 15k to spend.. but my pockets are "deep".. and therefore the car they see at the light represents that difference easily and adequately.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:34 AM
StAtiXz6

I like the confidence BMCCANN speaks with... No I seriously do I didn't mean that sarcastically either. Now let me give you facts.

Fact 1: FAST AND THE DAMN FURIOUS!!!!! OMG HOW I HATE THAT MOIVE!!! DK was a huge influence on this.

Fact 2: Amount made

Fact 3: People that buy their Z's for 8 or 9k. (8 or 9k for a car is a relatively small amount for a highschool kid to save up) theres a reason why the car sold for 8 or 9k also..
Proven fact: I went to a car show with my Z. At this time it was lowered on stock wheels with exhaust Pretty much a stock car. There were 3 other Z's there owned by some 22 year olds..MODDED to the extreme. My basically stock Z won that event. The reason why is condition.. these guys with their heavily modded cars still looked like ****. Dented to hell, paint chips, look worn down.. interiors are plastadip.. cheap ebay repairs etc... point of the matter is this has happened to Z's, G's, Evo's, Sti's, and even the 2000 body style Corvettes.

Very sad! to every owner who puts true work to their car.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Syner

Originally Posted by StAtiXz6
I like the confidence BMCCANN speaks with...

Kiss ***?
Old 08-16-2012, 10:43 AM
taywan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These kids that rice the Zs that is the only reason. They're killing it. It will never be a "rare" car I don't think. And will never be like the supra IMO.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:54 AM
StAtiXz6

Originally Posted by Syner

Kiss ***?
kiss *** LMFAO thats cute little one. Notice my amount of posts. Which means I don't converse here often at all, which also means I don't know let alone probably had 1 conversation with BMCcann.. Maybe you didn't realize the subliminal message in his words

"it may be an affordbale car for somene whos only got 15k to spend.. but my pockets are "deep".. and therefore the car they see at the light represents that difference easily and adequately."

makes me wonder maybe your one of those 8 or 9k 350z owners O_O
Old 08-16-2012, 10:58 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

hey now.. everyone likes tha confidence w which i speak.. men and women alike lol..

im like Mango.. no one can resist lol.

Can you pluck the stars from the skies?

NO!

Such is Mango.. lol.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:59 AM
installation

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's because 350's are cheap. Even when they were brand new they were only $50k~

If you want a rare car, spend more money and get something else.

I love my z, I don't care that it's not an overly expensive car, I don't care that people buy them and rice them out. Because in the end, all their **** cars only make me feel better about mine, and make mine look better.

Quick Reply: Why is the 350z becoming a civic, rather than a Supra?