Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Coupe Vs. Convertible

Old 09-11-2012, 05:09 AM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkleCityHop
Sorry, I don't think that you know what you're talking about. The convertible comes in the same manual or auto selections as the coupe (mine was a 6speed manual). Since it has the exact same transmission, there is no difference when going to higher HP numbers. The convertible is slightly heavier than the coupe due to the weight of the tonneau, trunk lid, and top compared to just the roof on the coupe, but that is where the differences end. The weight differences work out to a few HP, but usually not enough to measure with most butt dynos.
Sounds like your getting defensive because you have one.

Most are auto, which means they will have to have the transmission upgrade, but none the less they ARE considerably slower because of the weight differential which is said to be around 300+ lbs.

In the end you are splitting hairs with me because even if they were as quick it wouldn't matter because they still look like a 50 yr old woman car.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:27 AM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Homosexual vs. straight.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:45 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

How much softer is the roadster chassis?
Old 09-11-2012, 07:12 AM
05UltraYellow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismo350z#0310

Most are auto, which means they will have to have the transmission upgrade, but none the less they ARE considerably slower because of the weight differential which is said to be around 300+ lbs.

In the end you are splitting hairs with me because even if they were as quick it wouldn't matter because they still look like a 50 yr old woman car.
wow.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:23 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No. I had one and now have a coupe. I did all of the work on both and prepped both for track use, so I've seen them both inside and out. Your statements were false about the transmission and performance, etc. I'd love to see where you got your sales figures and facts behind it using a different transmission.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:25 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Originally Posted by Phenom
How much softer is the roadster chassis?
It has a rigid crossbar that makes up for the lack of a top. From my experience, it is the same rigidity. Same suspension, etc as well.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:59 AM
hookah

I personally think the convertible destroys the look of the Z. It kills that smooth top for me. No matter what advantages the convertible has, that right there is enough to make me easily pick the coupe.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:49 AM
wawazat8402

Ive always wanted to build a roadster track car because a nice welded cage looks nuts with the top down. Downside is we only get maybe 3-4 months a year that would be comfortable to drive with no top so I have decided against it...... So far.

I definitely agree with the comment amount DFW women. Theyre the only thing I miss after moving back to OK.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:02 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Yep, the full cage showed off very well in my old roadster. I do miss her at times.

And I was never in love with the body lines with the top up, so I just always kept the top down. Can't tell you how many people would be amazed by me passing them on the interstate in the rain with the top down. As l long as I was traveling over 60mph, no rain would come in.

BTW, I still have my custom cage that allows you to still use the automatic top if you get a roady. :-)

Last edited by SparkleCityHop; 09-11-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:23 AM
F34RL355
Banned

im 28 and have a gt roadster 6mt, i got it because i like it topless, enjoy the views while cruising etc. to each their own
Old 09-11-2012, 10:07 AM
stuartc323

Nice. And this isn't directed at you… but I was always amazed at how beautiful all of the ladies are in Dallas. It's like every female there moved to try out for the Cowboy cheerleading squad or something. Definitely an overabundance of tall, beautiful women compared to most other areas - and not like LA where they are overrun with beautiful men and women via the common practices of plastic surgery.
Thats a stereotype bro, Most of the girls in LA DO NOT like plastic surgery, its more rich people who do that and not everyone in LA is rich, I know this because I was born and raised there, out of all the girls Ive ever dated, not one had plastic surgery, but I do second the Dallas comment on the beautiful women they are gorgeous.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

I used to hate the roadsters. After seeing some pics of them with coils/wheels... It has somewhat changed my mind.. They can look sweet if done correctly.

I'd have to keep the top down though.. at all times
Old 09-11-2012, 10:11 AM
stuartc323

Gets Nismo, Is God of all Driving and Expert on all things Z related.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:27 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

If you live in Dallas (or anywhere hot), then convertibles aren't really going to be useful in such hot climates. The convertible Z loses the smooth lines of the coupe (its original/intended design) and adds weight, but how much you value either is subjective.

Also, if you're local to Dallas, come out to local meets and events if you're interested. We meet up to just hang out, go to track events, etc and most of us are pretty chill so I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun if you ever came out.

If you're in the Houston area, definitely do not do the convertible. The humidity is way too high, and that combined with a convertible would be rough. The Dallas/Ft Worth area is a bit iffy as well for similar reasons. If you're in the San Antonio area, you might be okay. If you're in the general area around Austin, I'd definitely go with the convertible. Great views, great weather, nice temperate climate so you can use it a lot.
SA and Hou is both hotter and more humid than Dallas, as they're both closer to bodies of water and are more south than DFW.
Nice. And this isn't directed at you… but I was always amazed at how beautiful all of the ladies are in Dallas. It's like every female there moved to try out for the Cowboy cheerleading squad or something. Definitely an overabundance of tall, beautiful women compared to most other areas - and not like LA where they are overrun with beautiful men and women via the common practices of plastic surgery.
See, now I know for sure you're unfamiliar with TX. Dallas women may be hotter than chicks in, say SC , but they got nothing on the women in Chicago.. or even Austin, if you want to stay in-state.

BTW, lol @ asking for pics, then saying "this isn't directed at you"
Old 09-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Nismo350z#0310

Originally Posted by stuartc323

Gets Nismo, Is God of all Driving and Expert on all things Z related.
Actually, I own a '91 300zx TT, 2005 Grand Touring and a Nismo, but that is beside the point.

Stat line reads 2005 Base model 3188lbs vs 2005 Roadster 3515lbs. 327lbs more. I am only assuming that it will subsequently be slower.

Now if you want to argue that a convertible Z doesn't look like a god awful grandma car, then you might have more of a arguing point, though from my experience most people have agreed with me.

My "expertness" would not be from my owning of a Nismo. I've lived and breathed the Z line for 15+ years. Maybe that's were it's stemmed from. Or atleast that's were my delusions stem from.

Last edited by Nismo350z#0310; 09-11-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:23 AM
F34RL355
Banned

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
If you live in Dallas (or anywhere hot), then convertibles aren't really going to be useful in such hot climates. The convertible Z loses the smooth lines of the coupe (its original/intended design) and adds weight, but how much you value either is subjective.

Also, if you're local to Dallas, come out to local meets and events if you're interested. We meet up to just hang out, go to track events, etc and most of us are pretty chill so I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun if you ever came out.

SA and Hou is both hotter and more humid than Dallas, as they're both closer to bodies of water and are more south than DFW.

See, now I know for sure you're unfamiliar with TX. Dallas women may be hotter than chicks in, say SC , but they got nothing on the women in Chicago.. or even Austin, if you want to stay in-state.

BTW, lol @ asking for pics, then saying "this isn't directed at you"
Convertibles are not suited for hot climates? wtf does that mean?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:26 AM
F34RL355
Banned

Actually, I own a '91 300zx TT, 2005 Grand Touring and a Nismo, but that is beside the point.

Stat line reads 2005 Base model 3188lbs vs 2005 Roadster 3515lbs. 327lbs more. I am only assuming that it will subsequently be slower.

Now if you want to argue that a convertible Z doesn't look like a god awful grandma car, then you might have more of a arguing point, though from my experience most people have agreed with me.

My "expertness" would not be from my owning of a Nismo. I've lived and breathed the Z line for 15+ years. Maybe that's were it's stemmed from. Or atleast that's were my delusions stem from.
living and breathing the Z line for 15years during which only the z33 and z34 were made does not make u an expert on all things Z. imo the Nismo looks god aweful with the horendous back end
Old 09-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Nismo350z#0310

Originally Posted by F34RL355
living and breathing the Z line for 15years during which only the z33 and z34 were made does not make u an expert on all things Z. imo the Nismo looks god aweful with the horendous back end
First person whose told me that.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:40 PM
britalia

I love my god awful grandma car
Old 09-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drive a manual vert.

It's just as sporty as the coupe unless you're planning on tracking it. When you're driving on public roads and you need to merge into a left lane on the highway from a 35mph on ramp, the convertible has more than enough power to get the job done and put a smile on your face.

That having been said, if you're like me, there's nothing better than the sun on your face with the top down. I used to cruise down the 101 from Oregon to Cali and it was euphoric. I never got an experience like that in a coupe.

It's just preference, really. Some people put an unfair stigma on the convertible, though. Like it's not hardcore or something. Those people tend to run into telephone poles on Thanksgiving.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coupe Vs. Convertible