Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My Build Thead

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Gold XXR 521 w/ Polished Lip would look like sex.
18x10 +12 F
18x10 +25 R w/ 25mm Spacer = 18x10 +0
Old 12-05-2012, 09:28 PM
SamPappas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^i was actually looking at the gold set but I think I am gonna end up powder coating them so I don't wanna spend extra money on a finish when I just going to have them powder coated.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Bmurray350z

Oh okay. Well gold on black looks sweet.. either way, what color are you thinking of powder coating them?
Old 12-06-2012, 03:58 AM
SamPappas

to be honest I still can't decide between a calm simple color or something crazy. If I do something different I will either do like a root beer metallic color, or like a dark teal. if I do something more calm I will do dark grey. hell I could still just buy gold, I have a lot of options.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:16 AM
nismohunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice to see another stl z around. If you guys ever want to get a cruise going ill be down as long as im off work. I go UMSL so im always around doing something. Also the car does not look bad and from experience with my last car when i was around your age cheap parts usually come back and bite you in the ***. But over all it looks good and cant wait to get some events going.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:11 AM
SPirtle

Originally Posted by SamPappas
i don't know if you could tell from the picture, but the exhaust that was on there was not stock. the previous owner cut the stock exhaust off and put some really cheap muffler on there with some really ugly tips, and the exhaust had a pretty severe leak and sounded like ****. so i think my ebay exhaust was an upgrade from what was on there.
To be completely honest your RX7 sounded better before lol.

Originally Posted by SlowNFurious
You have probably already read this in researching the HKS replica but just in case....have a magnaflow resonated x pipe (part #11386) welded in. I did this on my like the day after I installed the exhaust because I could not stand the drone. It makes a world of difference. The sound is so much cleaner and kind of throatier.

You might need the x pipe with 2.25" inlets/outlets, I can't remember of the top of my head.
Defintiely do this. I had mine on for right at a year plus 6 months of that was with TPs and I will never go back. Oh and it is the 2.5 inlet outlet for mine, I can send you the link and part number at performance peddler when you wanna do it. JDM Hookup charged me $70 plus we spent extra time tucking it up as high as possible.

Originally Posted by dexrod
For a full time 19y/o college student that works 20 hours a week, you mod fast. Pay very close attention to the wheel's width and offset. I am not sure if MD wheels will have the size you are looking for. I have seen some guys with aftermarket wheels that sink in more than the stock wheel. IMO...18x8.5+15front and 18x9.5+15rear is what most people try to buy. But hey... all that matters is if you love your car. I too, can not afford the $2000 parts. I mod my cars and I have a fun time doing it. But you also dont want to replace a good quality part with something that will lower your performace. That is why we have this forum, you can read about all our mistakes.
Ive already showed you my test fits so we can get this out of the way

Am I buying a duraflex body kit? NO
Am I buying a big aluminum spoiler? NO
Am I cutting my exhaust off? NO

I'm sorry if you don't like the look of tinted tails on a black car, but I as well as many others do. And I'm sorry that 2,000 coilovers and 3,000 dollar wheels are out of my budget. And as for my REMOVABLE plastidip, it's just that, removable. My wheels are plastidipped to protect the finish from salt, because here in the midwest the roads are pretty much covered in it all winter.

Go sell your Z now because I'm a ricer.
Sam dont hate on big wings.... Im buyin my BCL wing after my cage.

Originally Posted by Rokyr
Hi, fellow 19 year old Z owner here:

I bought my Z with Eibach springs (1.2" drop) and I scrape ALL the time. I know the way you drive because I drive that way. You'll hit **** and scrape the exhaust etc, I'm willing to bet the ebay exhaust won't hold up like my stock mid section has held up. (Speed bumps suck) If you're paying for your own parts and tires and maitenence then Id really advise not going so low. I've spent $1500 already this month on two flats, a fan shroud, and a radiator support because my car is so low and I drive like an idiot.

inb4 "I'm drive different than all other teenagers"

You have a sports car, youre a teenager, you drive like an idiot.

P.s.: I dig the tails.
You must drive through dry river beds and climb rocks all day because I am a hell of a lot lower than that and I DD my car plus working at a steel mill and my lip is 1.5 inches from the ground and I only scrape on speed bumps, just ask OP.

Originally Posted by Nismo350z#0310
I wouldn't bother giving advice, he didn't listen to the rest of us on anything else.

+1 on the advice though. I've got mine lowered with still some wheel gap and my exhaust scraps even on the slightest of entrances. With that lip he's got, forget about DDing.
Same as I put on post above.

the roads where I'm from are all relatively good. and if you want to mention my ebay exhaust not holding up, I think it will hold up better than the exhaust I had on there that was already falling apart. and if I see something that I know my car isn't capable of, I don't try to do it. but like I said, the roads here are fine. i drove my pretty low rx8 around for about a year and hardly ever scraped. also I haven't seen a speed bump in over a year, idk why they are so uncommon in my area.
Mine has held up to some crazy ish. Dont be worried dude, because at the end of the day I can buy 6 knock offs for 1 HKS lol.

Originally Posted by ProZach626
hmmmmm...

It's your money, but I think you will be happier in the long run if you buy fewer high quality parts. Quality over quantity, in my book. I'm sure you're exhaust is fine for now, but I'd be concerned for the longevity of an imitation part.

Resist the urge to act too young and want to do too many things to your car. Subtle cars are beautiful, since these cars came beautiful from the factory.

Either way, you're not doing too bad for the moment. I think most of the negative comments are maybe trying to keep you from getting out of control with inexpensive mods.

Also, welcome fellow St. Louis area member. What part of STL are you from?
Im from STL also near Alton IL.

Originally Posted by ProZach626
Nice. I live in Godfrey, and I'm an Alton cop. Hit me up if you're ever in town for a river road cruise.
No kidding? Thats awesome lol. What color is your Z. I have probably seen it around a few times because I work at ASI.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:26 AM
ModBargains
Vendor - Former Vendor

looking good so far! Let see how those plastic dip hold up from the winter!
Old 01-05-2013, 03:33 PM
SamPappas

got my wheels. and also a black nismo ****. the wheels be getting put on either in a week or so, or next spring, i still haven't fully decided.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Jamin401

niceeeeee, hows the nismo feel? i was thinking about one but was afraid its too small for my hand. i like the bigger round ball feeling of the oem one. what do you think?
Old 01-05-2013, 03:54 PM
SamPappas

i'm liking it a lot, it's a little on the small end but it has a great feel. the only complaint i have is that with it being aluminum it get's freeeeezing cold and i have to wear gloves when i drive in the winter for the first few minutes.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Bmurray350z

Wheels look good! Making me want a set now haha. And I have the same ****.. its great.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:56 PM
SamPappas

thanks! have you experienced summer yet with the shift ****? am i going to absolutely scold my hand?
Old 01-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Bmurray350z

I havent spent a summer with it yet lol. I usually keep a hat in my car and just set it over the **** when I go in somewhere ya know?
Old 01-05-2013, 04:10 PM
SamPappas

if i have a hat with me it is usually on my head haha. but i suppose i could cover it up with a sock or something. but with my tint and sun deflector i think it might be ok without anything. the only way to find out is to wait until next summer i suppose.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:17 PM
brozhere

If any of you Stl guys didnt already know there is a club for all of us on facebook, St. Louis Z Club just stop by and send in a request to be added.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:21 PM
SamPappas

^ I was unaware, I will send a request shortly though!
Old 01-05-2013, 05:52 PM
3oh5z

nice progress so far. as others stated, not a fan of the tails but it's your car, so more power to ya! BTW i have a brand new set of toe bolts laying around my house if you're interested? pm me
Old 01-06-2013, 02:47 PM
SamPappas

I will be buying a lot of suspension parts soon I will let you know
Old 01-09-2013, 01:29 PM
dexrod

Nice wheels Sam.... I bought the same set. My wheels are 18x10+20 front (5mm Spacer) and 18x10+5 rear (20mm spacer).
Old 01-09-2013, 04:11 PM
SPirtle

thanks! have you experienced summer yet with the shift ****? am i going to absolutely scold my hand?
Walmart sells a pack of fuzzy baby socks and I always put it on there in the winter and summer and take it off when I go to drive. Its awesome.

Originally Posted by dexrod
Nice wheels Sam.... I bought the same set. My wheels are 18x10+20 front (5mm Spacer) and 18x10+5 rear (20mm spacer).
Have any pictures of your setup?

Quick Reply: My Build Thead