Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Is it worth it for what I use my car?

Old 05-29-2013, 12:59 PM
RedLine_ZR

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is it worth it for what I use my car?

Hey guys
About a month and a half ago my clutch started slipping. Nothing to bad it's still driveable but it's been getting worse. So I decided that I'm going to order it today or tomorrow and I've been doing some research on the Jwt clutch/flywheel combo which seems pretty popular and I've seen both the good and the bad abt it. Just wondering if I should order it with the fly wheel or not. With it it would be 775 and just the clutch would be 400. It's just a DD but do have some fun with it once in a while and have thought abt taking it to a track maybe. I know it all depends on how it's driven but how long could this clutch/flywheel combo last under normal driving? I'm a little undecided still and have been going back and forth with this.

Current mods:
motor dyne 5/16 spacer and pop charger
Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited by RedLine_ZR; 05-29-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:03 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's just a DD, stay with the OEM.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:01 PM
AndyBGAWTSuhZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely worth it imo! The full JWT kit includes everything to beef up your trans making the affair even more smooth. After installing the full kit I noticed not only faster revs but the act of depressing the clutch pedal to be more smooth and easier then oem (My oem clutch at the time only had ~20k before the install.. it was still in great condition). The kit replaces a couple parts that are known to weaken and even break or crack after so long. Another bonus is that the clutch only requires a surface plate so once it goes bad you can just replace the surface plate and voila.. you have a "brand new" clutch. THE only con I can give this kit is that you will notice very slight chatter below 2k rpms but it's not noticeable with any aftermarket exhaust components.

Basically I would rate this kit a 9.8/10.. I feel as if this is how the car should have came stock. It is one of the few mods I can easily recommend to any Z owner. JWT thinks everything through and has some of the highest quality products for our cars.

*Note I changed all the drivetrain fluids with this install (clutch/trans/diff) which did help with making things buttery smooth again.

Hope this review points you in the right direction

EDIT: OEM clutch can hold ~350hp. JWT can hold ~600hp at the crank. It will easily out last oem but it all depends on your driving habits and how much power you push. I must add that clutch-kicking is extremely fun with this kit

Last edited by AndyBGAWTSuhZ; 05-29-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:38 PM
Methos07

How does the Z1 kit compare to the JWT? I've been considering these two options myself.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:46 PM
QuintonC

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

I dd my car and prefer the JWT over the OEM. The clutch feels much better (not too much stiffer) and the lightweight flywheel is fun when you want it to be
Old 05-30-2013, 05:06 AM
phreaktor
¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Had to read the title like 4 times..
Old 05-30-2013, 05:52 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by phreaktor
Had to read the title like 4 times..
Me too lol.

Then I looked at your avatar about 20 times.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Zmandriving

Originally Posted by RedLine_ZR
Hey guys
About a month and a half ago my clutch started slipping. Nothing to bad it's still driveable but it's been getting worse. So I decided that I'm going to order it today or tomorrow and I've been doing some research on the Jwt clutch/flywheel combo which seems pretty popular and I've seen both the good and the bad abt it. Just wondering if I should order it with the fly wheel or not. With it it would be 775 and just the clutch would be 400. It's just a DD but do have some fun with it once in a while and have thought abt taking it to a track maybe. I know it all depends on how it's driven but how long could this clutch/flywheel combo last under normal driving? I'm a little undecided still and have been going back and forth with this.

Current mods:
motor dyne 5/16 spacer and pop charger
Thanks in advance for any help
I got JWT clutch and flywheel and it isn't much different than oem. Little bit stiffer but not much. You wont be able to tell a difference after the first day driving with new clutch and flywheel. I would get the pilot bushing too.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Zmandriving

Originally Posted by Methos07
How does the Z1 kit compare to the JWT? I've been considering these two options myself.
I think it is basically the same thing just different name on it.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:11 AM
worm1998

Mine is a DD as well and i opted for the full JWT Clutch/Flywheel kit and have been completely satisfied. not much difference in stifness (just a little stiffer), but the engagement point is better, the driveability is noticeably better, and the car has been much more enjoyable to drive. if you don't mind a little low rpm flywheel chatter then its worth a little extra money over the OEM setup
Old 05-30-2013, 03:09 PM
QuintonC

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

In response to the previous post, I wouldn't quite say a "little chatter." Hahah, sounds like a dry clutch on an air-cooled Ducati.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:04 PM
worm1998

Originally Posted by QuintonC
In response to the previous post, I wouldn't quite say a "little chatter." Hahah, sounds like a dry clutch on an air-cooled Ducati.
i have heard mixed reviews about the loudness some people have....i have been running mine for a while and the noise is pretty minimal at a neutral idle and just a slight growl under 2K while accelerating. some people won't like the noise and others, like myself, don't mind it. the driving benefits far outweigh the noise
Old 05-30-2013, 05:12 PM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

i have a southbend stage 2 with flywheel for sale in the classifieds
Old 05-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

My JWT sounds like rocks in a rolling barrel at idle. However it makes rev-matching much easier.

I would do it for a DD but I don't mind the noise. If you want to maintain any semblance of "luxury" in your sports car, the sound of the light-weight flywheel will not help.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:21 PM
Chadro

Rocks in a barrel sounds about right lol. but whatever, I like the feel of it.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:32 AM
Zombie-Z

Default I recommend the Z1 mild clutch package

I replaced my clutch last summer. I purchased the Z1 mild clutch and flywheel, fork assembly, pivot ball, and stainless line. I am very pleased with it. I get no chatter like I hear with the JWT and I like it better than OEM. I had my local Nissan Dealership install it. Parts and labor was $1,500 total. The labor was $520. Get the flywheel with the clutch. Do it right and you will be much happier because they are made to work together. The OEM flywheel costs $1,500 all by itself so go aftermarket. You will save money and get a better product. The clutch is easier to push in but it has more defined points of where it engages so you have to get the feel for it but it performs better. It is rated for up to 500hp. It is closest to OEM and best for daily driver. Good luck.