Sponsored by:

Test drove Subaru BRZ and a 370Z, opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:21 PM
NismoDude

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DesertShadow
Back to the 370z:

For 36k (sport) I would rather spend a little bit less... on something say...a 2006 Maserati GranSport
And that would be cool, as long as you had ANOTHER 10k plus laying around for maintenance and repair cost......

As someone who has bought and owned 2 MB AMG's used at a great price (these cars loose half of their 80-100k sticker price in 3 years), I have been shocked at the cost of repairs..... got rid of one of them to get my Nismo, and will be getting rid of the other one as soon as my extended warranty expires.

Exotic cars, come with exotic maintenance and repair bills......
Old 06-13-2013, 06:36 AM
DesertShadow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NismoDude
And that would be cool, as long as you had ANOTHER 10k plus laying around for maintenance and repair cost......

As someone who has bought and owned 2 MB AMG's used at a great price (these cars loose half of their 80-100k sticker price in 3 years), I have been shocked at the cost of repairs..... got rid of one of them to get my Nismo, and will be getting rid of the other one as soon as my extended warranty expires.

Very true.

Though the GranSport is engineered to have a MUCH less costly maintenance bill than its predecessor, the Coupe.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:39 AM
Z-Crazy

I am with you.

Not to mention the layout and arrangement on any mercedes makes it a difficult car to work on
Old 06-13-2013, 08:09 AM
stuartc323

So true ^

Mom has always had a porsche 911 since i was young, and each time they update it, that maintenance was a *****, brake pads alone were like $200 a piece, and she had a private mechanic who was a family friend and didnt charge her labor and still doesnt. Got to have a hookup or bank to have exotic cars.

Originally Posted by Z-Crazy
I am with you.

Not to mention the layout and arrangement on any mercedes makes it a difficult car to work on

Def agree with this as well, friend is a mercedes tech and he said once you can conquer working on those engines your golden.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:45 AM
NismoDude

Originally Posted by stuartc323
So true ^

Mom has always had a porsche 911 since i was young, and each time they update it, that maintenance was a *****, brake pads alone were like $200 a piece, and she had a private mechanic who was a family friend and didnt charge her labor and still doesnt. Got to have a hookup or bank to have exotic cars.

Def agree with this as well, friend is a mercedes tech and he said once you can conquer working on those engines your golden.

Oh yeah, I feel your mom's pain.

Google MB E63 AMG brake job, and you will find numerous threads about "the dreaded AMG brake job" with guys talking about getting raped for 2-3 THOUSAND for front rotors and brakes......

That's yet another reason I am lovin' my Nismo - "the poor man's porsche" baby! Just as much fun to drive, for pennies on the dollar compared to exotic
Old 06-13-2013, 08:47 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stuartc323
So true ^

That doesn't seem a little odd? A mechanic that works on a car and knows it normally cost a lot of money to do doesn't charge a dime when a attractive woman wants her car worked on for free.... On a different note my father has a 911 Carrera and he does the maintenance his self, as you can with any car but some requires more patience than others.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:51 AM
NismoDude

^^what's odd? He said the mechanic was a family friend?
Old 12-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Firebase99

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-Crazy
I am with you.

Necrosis thread. Sorry. Long time z fan. Also on phone right now. Had 260, 280, 300,350, and now 370z. Before 370z buy drove everything, few times. Few being 370, brz. Frs, 5.0 Mustang...stang, face melting fast. Torque. Hp, hard!! Fast. Charger-rt, srt8(ridiculously fast yacht) Brz, frs, 2 drives each. Hyundai 3.8 touring and r spec. Dollar for dollar on interior Gen coupe wins. Performance, no. "Twins"...completely forgettable in every way. Got the 370.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:09 AM
ZsanjusanHR

I owned an 07 350Z for awhile. loved the car.
I have a lot of respect for all Zs in general...

however, you all will be mad when I say the Z has obviously better stock power over the FRS/BRZ... but sadly, that is it. The twins do every thing else BETTER.

It is hard to make a car lose weight... it is very easy to add power. It is incredibly easy, and relatively inexpensive to make an FRS/BRZ straight-line fast.
A lot of you all disrespect the car because it "has no power"... IMO, it has enough... they built this car to be a successor to what car? AE86? That car wasn't known for power either... the car was built with a purpose, agile and precise. A drivers car. And that is exactly what it is.

It weighs 2750lbs. the Factory tires that come with the car are the same Tires from a Toyota Prius... we live in a day where every car comes with all kinds of computer controls and huge sticky tires to help it handle.. the FRS/BRZ handles even with the crappiest tire. The car is just incredibly well-balanced.

I have no regrets. all i wanted was a daily driver that handles well and is fun when i need it to be and gets me an average 30mpg.

Name:  PicsArt_1395011368193.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  96.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20140317_140853.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  122.9 KB
Old 03-25-2014, 10:18 AM
kanati

Nice looking car. I do love my Z though.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:25 AM
ZsanjusanHR

Originally Posted by kanati
Nice looking car. I do love my Z though.
AS YOU SHOULD ! !

I would have likely kept mine if it would have fit my fishing pole... unfortunately it didnt
Old 03-25-2014, 11:25 AM
NismoDude

NICE looking ride.

Are those Enkei's?

What size rubber were you able to get on there?

I actually like the style and dimensions on the BRZ/FRS, but the look/stance with those bicycle tire 215's was really offputting - wasn't sure how much room there was for wider rubber.

And do you have any photos more from the side - like to see the look with those wheels
Old 03-25-2014, 11:29 AM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

I'll take a nice HR any day of the week
Old 03-25-2014, 11:31 AM
Golden_Armz

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i like the brz frs. Maybe i should go out there and test drive one. I mean you are comparing a car that came out in 03 to a 2012. 350z is outdated and is a aged vehicle. Its obvious that the brz interior is going to be nice. Its obvious that a lighter brz will out handle the Z.

its probably gonna have to come down to drivers preference. Brz has the fresh new style, while the 370Z is just an updated look from the old. i still would go for the Z, because of its heritage and history.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:40 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The 86 triplets seem like a downgrade to me. Plus you can't compare a Z33 which has been out of production for years against a brand new car with newer tech. If your going to compare it to a Z, compare it to the Z34 which is more recent. You can get one nowadays for less than 20k that outperforms the Z33 in every category and crushes the 86 triplets even more than the Z33. A Hyundai genesis coupe turbo or the V6 would also be a better buy than the 86 just because the possibility to easily upgrade an already turbocharged car.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:40 AM
ZsanjusanHR

NICE looking ride.

Are those Enkei's?

What size rubber were you able to get on there?

I actually like the style and dimensions on the BRZ/FRS, but the look/stance with those bicycle tire 215's was really offputting - wasn't sure how much room there was for wider rubber.

And do you have any photos more from the side - like to see the look with those wheels
Yup, mine areEnkei RPf1 17x9 +35

i've seen 18x9.5 +38 square on the twins as well no issues.

im running 245/40/17 square... im just running RS*R lowering springs so I can't run wider rubber or I'll rub the stock strut. with Coilovers, I've seen guys run 255 to 265 square. . .you are right about the small @$$ stock 215's lol

only other pics i have. . .

Name:  IMG_20140322_121432.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  227.8 KB

Name:  _20140320_205739.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  74.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20140317_123033.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  159.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20140319_202159.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  189.7 KB

Last edited by ZsanjusanHR; 03-25-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:46 AM
NismoDude

Nice choice in wheels.

The wheels and extra 30mm of rubber at each corner really make the car pop.

Probably sticks to the ground like glue now too.

That frozen day photo, that had to NOT be fun in that rear wheel drive car
Old 03-25-2014, 11:55 AM
ZsanjusanHR

Originally Posted by Jah70
The 86 triplets seem like a downgrade to me. Plus you can't compare a Z33 which has been out of production for years against a brand new car with newer tech. If your going to compare it to a Z, compare it to the Z34 which is more recent. You can get one nowadays for less than 20k that outperforms the Z33 in every category and crushes the 86 triplets even more than the Z33. A Hyundai genesis coupe turbo or the V6 would also be a better buy than the 86 just because the possibility to easily upgrade an already turbocharged car.
do you buy cars only for the engine? or buy cars only for the turbo?
If i wanted to get the best bang for the buck 0-60 time/ 1/4mile I'll get a Mustang GT... but obviously.. to me, there is more to a car than just a turbo or HorsePower...

I bought my car for $23,000 used with 1,500 miles on it. I've put about $2,000 in modifications to the car... for $25,000 I got the car I have now. No disrespect but I'd take my car over a base 370z. and a Hyundai? sure... Hyundai has come a long way... but if i wanted a Turbo slapped onto a coupe with sloppy handling and numb steering... sure.. I'll buy a Genesis.

everyone has their personal preferences... after owning a WRX swapped GC8 Impreza, a 2008 STI, and an 07 350z... i've realized what makes a car enjoyable, TO ME, is not just how fast I can get to the next stop light. .
Old 03-25-2014, 12:01 PM
ZsanjusanHR

Nice choice in wheels.

The wheels and extra 30mm of rubber at each corner really make the car pop.

Probably sticks to the ground like glue now too.

That frozen day photo, that had to NOT be fun in that rear wheel drive car
Thanks for the kind words !

i gotta tell you... the stock tires suck so bad... no just because of size, but the rubber itself! I put on 245 width Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 All- Seasons and the car is on rails! no sliding. no skidding. it just grips.

and the car is actually not bad in the snow at all. As long as I dont drive like a damn fool it gets me through my 50 mile daily commute fine in rain, snow or shine.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:44 PM
Golden_Armz

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The FRZ is still not a bad car at all... i like the look. i might be too old to be driving a 4cyl tho... need a car with a little bit more muscle. If i was 19 i would def go for the BRZ. the Z is more for the grown folks, lol

Quick Reply: Test drove Subaru BRZ and a 370Z, opinions