Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Test drove Subaru BRZ and a 370Z, opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 01:04 PM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Golden_Armz
... If i was 19 i would def go for the BRZ. the Z is more for the grown folks, lol
^^^ Not even close to true anymore, unfortunately.

But it is true that the younger crowd does love the FRS/BRZ... Toyota put a Scion badge on it hoping it would appeal to a younger demographic domestically.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:11 PM
NismoDude

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The FRZ is still not a bad car at all... i like the look. i might be too old to be driving a 4cyl tho... need a car with a little bit more muscle. If i was 19 i would def go for the BRZ. the Z is more for the grown folks, lol
If Subaru makes an STI version and adds another 60-100 HP I would be one of the first in line at the dealer.

A smaller lighter car really is more fun to drive.

I still miss my 2nd Gen MR2 Turbo everyday.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:22 PM
ZsanjusanHR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NismoDude
If Subaru makes an STI version and adds another 60-100 HP I would be one of the first in line at the dealer.

A smaller lighter car really is more fun to drive.

I still miss my 2nd Gen MR2 Turbo everyday.
Sadly... STI model is not happening.

i would love me a 370z but the model I'd want to get is almost $40,000...

FWIW - you can put bolt-ons and a Flash/tune on an FRS/BRZ and get ~ 200whp NA .. that is almost 240hp @ crank
That is quite decent for a 2750lbs car. aftermarket for the twins are plentiful and cheap compared to other cars.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:29 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The FRZ is still not a bad car at all... i like the look. i might be too old to be driving a 4cyl tho... need a car with a little bit more muscle. If i was 19 i would def go for the BRZ. the Z is more for the grown folks, lol
This is a big part of the reason why I wouldnt get a BRZ. It's not a grown up car and it's not a car that fits my personality. BTW, I'm not a fan of most American cars either, just because I like more power doesn't mean I'm all about muscle cars, 1/4 mile times and racing between stop lights. Only American sports cars and muscle cars I like are the Ford GT, Salleen S7, Salleen S302 Mustang, and the new SRT Viper. I'm a fan of mostly European cars because they usually have a good balance of power, handling, looks and engineering. Only reason I liked the Z because it was styled after the earlier Jags and today it's trying to rival the lower end Porsche Cayman and Boxster.

At one point the Z was for older grown up people. But it still kind of is if the driver didn't plastidip any parts or have a loud obnoxious exhaust or crazy looking bodtkits (which people are doing to the 86 immediately after they leave the dealership) etc. The 86 is a lovely car, but it doesn't have the all around balance I like. A car that handles like crap but is overpowered isn't good, a car with great handling but no ***** isn't good, a car with great handling and ***** but crappy craftsmanship and no level of refinement isn't good either (cough, corvette, cough). You gotta balance the ying and the yang. Reason I mention the genesis is because they are in that range. I never actually drove one or even done any research on them but apparently a lot of people around here are picking them up like hot cakes and modding them like the WRX's.

Last edited by Jah70; 03-25-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:46 PM
ZsanjusanHR

Originally Posted by Jah70
This is a big part of the reason why I wouldnt get a BRZ. It's not a grown up car and it's not a car that fits my personality. BTW, I'm not a fan of most American cars either, just because I like more power doesn't mean I'm all about muscle cars, 1/4 mile times and racing between stop lights. Only American sports cars and muscle cars I like are the Ford GT, Salleen S7, Salleen S302 Mustang, and the new SRT Viper. I'm a fan of mostly European cars because they usually have a good balance of power, handling, looks and engineering. Only reason I liked the Z because it was styled after the earlier Jags and today it's trying to rival the lower end Porsche Cayman and Boxster.

At one point the Z was for older grown up people. But it still kind of is if the driver didn't plastidip any parts or have a loud obnoxious exhaust or crazy looking bodtkits etc.
FWIW I'm 29 turning 30 next month.

I think what I read was the BRZ (especially LIMITED model) was geared more towards older crowd and the FRS was towards the younger crowd. BRZ has the leather heated seats etc...

I think everyone has their own preferences on the cars they drive and I respect that. I don't know if I'd say a Z or an FRS/BRZ is more for older/younger as I've seen a mixed batch of age ranges with both cars. I've seen 55 year old dudes autocross with FRS/BRZ and just the other day a foolish kid in a RED 370z was accelerating and braking hard in traffic at me to prove some type of point... or two high school looking dudes in a silver 350z tailing me and doing a fly by at me... both instances I was just cruising with my wife in the car. unfortunately... with any car model that is popular with aftermarket... there will be kids plasti-dipping and carbon fiber vinyl wrapping etc...
Old 03-25-2014, 01:51 PM
Jah70

Originally Posted by ZsanjusanHR
FWIW I'm 29 turning 30 next month.

I think what I read was the BRZ (especially LIMITED model) was geared more towards older crowd and the FRS was towards the younger crowd. BRZ has the leather heated seats etc...

I think everyone has their own preferences on the cars they drive and I respect that. I don't know if I'd say a Z or an FRS/BRZ is more for older/younger as I've seen a mixed batch of age ranges with both cars. I've seen 55 year old dudes autocross with FRS/BRZ and just the other day a foolish kid in a RED 370z was accelerating and braking hard in traffic at me to prove some type of point... or two high school looking dudes in a silver 350z tailing me and doing a fly by at me... both instances I was just cruising with my wife in the car. unfortunately... with any car model that is popular with aftermarket... there will be kids plasti-dipping and carbon fiber vinyl wrapping etc...
Of course. How do you think I feel when I see some high school **** with the same E92 M3 like me with neon glow? Yes...in 2014, some kid has a M3 with neon glow and some weird bodykit that has worse aerodynamics than the stock bumper. Thing is I won't see too many violated M3's, but I do see a lot of violated Z's and you will see a lot of violated 86's.

Last edited by Jah70; 03-25-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:57 PM
pyshin

I would like to violate an M3..

Jah, do you volunteer as tribute?
Old 03-25-2014, 01:59 PM
ZsanjusanHR

Originally Posted by Jah70
Of course. How do you think I feel when I see some high school **** with the same E92 M3 like me with neon glow? Yes...in 2014, some kid has a M3 with neon glow and some weird bodykit that has worse aerodynamics than the stock bumper. Thing is I won't see too many violated M3's, but I do see a lot of violated Z's and you will see a lot of violated 86's.
Unfortunately.. i've seen many violated 86's lmao
first day I had my car... see an FRS on the highway on my way home with plasti-dipped wheels bright yellow...
Old 03-25-2014, 02:01 PM
pyshin

^^^ Lol trust there are plenty of violated FRS/BRZ's out here in SoCal... A bunch of kids leasing to own
Old 03-25-2014, 02:10 PM
Emski

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've seen some "stanced" twins in SoCal. Fortunately, more often than not it's stock or RPF1 with slight drop which is downright classy.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Jah70

Originally Posted by pyshin
I would like to violate an M3..

Jah, do you volunteer as tribute?
Lol, when I sell it I'll keep you in mind
Old 03-25-2014, 03:56 PM
Golden_Armz

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pyshin
^^^ Not even close to true anymore, unfortunately.

But it is true that the younger crowd does love the FRS/BRZ... Toyota put a Scion badge on it hoping it would appeal to a younger demographic domestically.
True... 350z is getting cheaper everyday...
Old 03-25-2014, 05:39 PM
chitownpete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm tired of cars just getting heavier and heavier, hopefully the BRZ sells enough to encourage lighter and more responsive machines. Drive a Miata with some sticky tires and tell me you dont understand the benefit of light weight when it comes to becoming one with the road. I can't fit in a Miata and I'm not gay so I never bought one.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:37 PM
Jah70

Originally Posted by chitownpete
I'm tired of cars just getting heavier and heavier, hopefully the BRZ sells enough to encourage lighter and more responsive machines. Drive a Miata with some sticky tires and tell me you dont understand the benefit of light weight when it comes to becoming one with the road. I can't fit in a Miata and I'm not gay so I never bought one.
Sure man. Whatever makes you sleep at night. We won't judge you here...well at least I won't, idk about anyone else lol. Cars are getting heavier because of safety standards and consumers requesting more bells and whistles. I'm sure your chances of surviving a highway crash in a 370z is a lot higher than the same crash in a 240Z.

I don't mind cars getting heavier as long as they can run more efficiently and can do some black magic trickery to make it light on it's feet. Look at the GTR, newest Porsche 911 turbo or the Audi R8, some of them weigh almost as much as a small SUV yet with great black magic called "engineering" they can throw their weight around as good as cars half their weight etc. They are like freak of nature NFL defensive ends. Big as hell yet somehow they are fast as hell and change directions as quickly as defensive backs.

Last edited by Jah70; 03-25-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:00 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Kid in a blue BRZ/FRS with fart cannon did a tailgate/flyby while I was going the speed limit in my Z this morning. LOL I wouldn't say they are for the older folks.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:38 AM
ZsanjusanHR

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1078539_chris-harris-compares-the-scion-fr-s-to-the-nissan-370z-video
Old 03-26-2014, 01:52 PM
05CaliZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i'm ready in 1.5-2.5 years i can't wait to face this dilemma. if I were to go with the brz though, would definitely need some engine mods. as things stand though, i'd probably 75% go with the Z
Old 03-26-2014, 08:34 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you guys think there will still be new Z's made 2 years from now you may want to start keeping track on Nissan's sales figures. I do not think it will exist. Something will come out under the Datsun badge, but the Z as we know it is on life support.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:36 PM
IcanHaz

Originally Posted by Sean
If you guys think there will still be new Z's made 2 years from now you may want to start keeping track on Nissan's sales figures. I do not think it will exist. Something will come out under the Datsun badge, but the Z as we know it is on life support.
+1 but I also think the z desperately needs a redesign, the 370z was a big flop imo. If they used the same 3.7L motor in a brz/frs sized car and lowered the price to compete with the genesis coupe v6, Sold. Lol at least for me
Old 03-27-2014, 04:05 AM
Jah70

Originally Posted by Sean
They already revealed that the new Z will be coming out right after the new Maxima and they said they'll be releasing the IDX to compete with the 86. They can't kill the Z, it's like Japan's iconic sports car just like how America's iconic muscle car is the Mustang. Reason why the 350 did better than the 370 is because the cars were born in two different eras where the economy was different. If you look at the sales for the HR Z33's which came out during the financial crisis you can see the drop off which spread to the 370.

Carlos Gohsn will have to pull off something big again like what he did when the first 350 was born. I think they should kill one of their other cars in the lineup (cough, juke) that is doing terrible in sales. Not to say that a lot of other manufacturers aren't taking a hit (look at fiat pulling the SRT Viper because of poor sales). They do need to create something fresh like when the 350Z came out on the scene but still keep the qualities and unique design that pays homage to the original Z that everyone loves so much. FR Layout, 6 cylinder and that nice side window and rear quarter panel curve shouldn't be altered because that is what draws people in. I think they need to create a twin turbo variant with the engine borrowed from the Q50 and bring back the (370ZX or whatever the next fairlady will be called) but with limited production of the ZX models to test the waters and slightly limit production of the less expensive NA models to cut cost.

Last edited by Jah70; 03-27-2014 at 05:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Test drove Subaru BRZ and a 370Z, opinions