Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Figures......

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 11:51 AM
Pushrod91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Figures......

Took the Z back to the dealer today. Started making a growling noise when clutch released about half way up. Then would stop when fully released. Throwout bearing seemed louder then normal. Figured I'd let them deal with it since its still on the 30 day warranty. See what happens.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:26 PM
YOUNGRON

Originally Posted by Pushrod91
Took the Z back to the dealer today. Started making a growling noise when clutch released about half way up. Then would stop when fully released. Throwout bearing seemed louder then normal. Figured I'd let them deal with it since its still on the 30 day warranty. See what happens.
As far as everyone is telling me this is a typical Z problem. My 2005 Z does the same thing. Let me know what you find out/ if the noise stops.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Pushrod91

The Throwout Bearing is a little louder then normal. But nothing overly terrible. The loud growling noise is far from a normal sound. As soon as they let me know or figure it out ill pass the work along.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:07 AM
35thannyZowner

Mine has been doing that for sometime. The original Potenza tires the car came with would spin at the sightest acceleration. They wore out very quickly. About 3 years ago I bought new tires, (Toyo). I was amazed how they gripped the road. It seemed that the tire slippage on hard acceleration was nearly gone. Then, 2 years later, when starting the car, and pushing the clutch pedal, I got that same noise you describe. I kept driving the car, and now I've got clutch plate slippage in the higher gears. I found someone who would change the plate, bearing etc. for around $1400, but I'd have to get the kit, because they wouldn't guarantee that the noise would be gone. I will check with the dealer, and see what they would charge. I've seen prices for the clutch kit anywhere from $450 to $850. The dealer would probably charge twice the price for the work, but I know they would positively guarantee it.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Pushrod91

So the dealer is saying its normal sound. As i research here there is alot of threads on this to no fix. Even found one with a video that matched my sound. Sooooooooooo i guess ill just pick it up and wait for the trans to shatter and upgrade to the new style trans. Ive read that new trans is improved. Anyone with verify this??

Sorry to not have a fix for any of you that have the same issue.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Bruno350z

Originally Posted by 35thannyZowner
Mine has been doing that for sometime. The original Potenza tires the car came with would spin at the sightest acceleration. They wore out very quickly. About 3 years ago I bought new tires, (Toyo). I was amazed how they gripped the road. It seemed that the tire slippage on hard acceleration was nearly gone. Then, 2 years later, when starting the car, and pushing the clutch pedal, I got that same noise you describe. I kept driving the car, and now I've got clutch plate slippage in the higher gears. I found someone who would change the plate, bearing etc. for around $1400, but I'd have to get the kit, because they wouldn't guarantee that the noise would be gone. I will check with the dealer, and see what they would charge. I've seen prices for the clutch kit anywhere from $450 to $850. The dealer would probably charge twice the price for the work, but I know they would positively guarantee it.
Wtf install alone $1400? That's rape man, give me $200 the clutch kit and a 24 pack of beer, drop it off saturday morning and I'll give it back to you sunday night lol (No not a shop, 50% sarcastic) But really, clutch installs should not cost anymore than $500
Originally Posted by Pushrod91
So the dealer is saying its normal sound. As i research here there is alot of threads on this to no fix. Even found one with a video that matched my sound. Sooooooooooo i guess ill just pick it up and wait for the trans to shatter and upgrade to the new style trans. Ive read that new trans is improved. Anyone with verify this??

Sorry to not have a fix for any of you that have the same issue.
Sounds like that aren't normal o.O New trans is a lot better, but I'm still positive it's your throwout bearing lol
Old 01-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Pushrod91

Originally Posted by Bruno350z

Sounds like that aren't normal o.O New trans is a lot better, but I'm still positive it's your throwout bearing lol
Ya... thats what im saying. Im uploading a video right now. Ill post it as soon as its done.

Thanks for looking though.

Last edited by Pushrod91; 01-16-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:53 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would say it's normal if indeed it's the throwout bearing.. I also had the same issue after buying my Z. I learned to live with the sound and my clutch has and is strong still.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:17 PM
Pushrod91

Heres a couple videos.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:34 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not normal I would say... Mines more of a shutter that you can hear but it's nowhere near as loud as that.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Pushrod91

Ya. Im kinda at a loss.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Pushrod91

Picked it up. Screw it. Drive it till it goes.