Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

350z and big dog...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 03:36 PM
superstuddc27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z and big dog...

Do any of you have a big dog? if so, how do you transport the dog in your Z? I understand some people use the Z as a weekend car and have a daily so if that's the case, it wouldn't apply to those people. I'm wondering if I have a Z for a daily driver, how I would transport my dog daily. She's a good sized german shepherd. I got rid of my s2000 for this reason, she comes with me to a lot of places and taking her to the dog park, park, store, etc. was a pain in the *** because there was no room for her. The S2000 is much more cramped so I'm wondering if the Z will be a better option.

Right now I am deciding between 3 cars as replacements to the S2000... going to be my only car, I.E. daily driver. They are the G35c, 350z and WRX. WRX and G35 are more in the same class, given that they have back seats and are bigger. But I was searching to see if the g35 coupe's back seats fold down and it seems like they do but I'm not sure how flat it is going to be. The back seats have a weird center console thing in the middle, it is not flat where a big dog can lay down. In that case, there's really no point in getting a G35coupe over a 350z if the back seats are usable for my dog.

My first choice is a Z, but dont want to have to sell it because it becomes impractical. I have driven a Z a few times, ridden in one. It is much bigger inside than my S2000, more comfortable. I am wondering if anyone has created a wooden platform of some sort that can be removable that goes where the passenger seat footrest is so it extended the passenger seat as one long "floor", where the dog can lay down. Does that make sense?

Aside from space, if anyone has owned more than 1 of these cars and can give me input as using it as a daily driver that would be great. WRX has room, power, handling, but it's a sedan, not as luxurious and uglier. Also very unreliable.. 350z looks great, questioning the space at the moment. G35 isn't as sporty as I would like it to be, but roomy. At some point I would like to go to autox for fun and i do like to weekend canyon drive from time to time.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Ak48z

Have your dog sit in the seat like a person? I see what you are getting at with the "floor" idea but I don't think that is practical, nor have I ever seen anything like it.

WRX is the only one with backseat big enough for a dog to lay down I think... g35's have a weird center console and I don't believe the seats actually fold flat. Could probably rig something up to lay across and still have the seats up though.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:49 PM
superstuddc27

Originally Posted by Ak48z
Have your dog sit in the seat like a person? I see what you are getting at with the "floor" idea but I don't think that is practical, nor have I ever seen anything like it.

WRX is the only one with backseat big enough for a dog to lay down I think... g35's have a weird center console and I don't believe the seats actually fold flat. Could probably rig something up to lay across and still have the seats up though.
Yeah she used to in my S2000 but if a dog sits like a person, they have a hard time balancing and any trip over 15 minutes is grueling. It's like when someone stands in the subway or metro without holding onto a pole, you start moving around and sliding around due to the momentum. My dog would head plant, hit the door panel, etc.

Someone at s2ki made this platform. http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/1041...t__p__22752216

But even with that, it's too small for my dog. Wondering if the Z it was possible.

Other option is the hatch? Wonder if it's big enough to where she can lay back there and have her head sitting out the front?
Old 09-18-2013, 04:02 PM
SR71
Lead Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 305 Likes on 166 Posts

Depends on how much you really love your dog. If you really love him then he really should only transported in a kennel for his safety. People always say that their pet is like one of the family but then they just load them in the car and let him roam around, ever seen a crash site where a dog was loose in a car? Its usually not a good outcome for their "family member".
Old 09-18-2013, 09:12 PM
Jsmith7861

Gonna agree with SR71 (nice name btw), you should use a kennel, but it could be done. The only thing I would get ancy about is their nails digging into the seat and the hair, DEAR GOD ABOVE THE HAIR. Transported my Shiba ONCE in my car. NEVER FACKING AGAIN.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:47 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by superstuddc27
My dog would head plant, hit the door panel, etc.
Always try to drive in a manner that doesn't make your passenger uncomfortable. I never had that problem carrying an 85-pound Black Lab in my truck. He'd just sit in the seat, look around, and occasionally slobber a little.

+1 for what SR71 said, though.

Last edited by winchman; 09-18-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:25 PM
superstuddc27

Default Made a Platform

SOLUTION:

Anyone that wants to follow suit let me know I'll post dimensions. I'm semi handy I guess but anyone that has cut wood and can operate a reciprocating saw (or jig, handheld, etc.) can do it. What I lacked in a tool for extreme accuracy I made up for with sand paper and a sander.

Basic concept: As stated in my OP, I was looking to make the foot rest area a platform so that it is level with the seat's base. That way my dog can sprawl out and lay down flat. Before this platform, she could not lay down. She would have to remain sitting. Sitting is not a very comfortable position for dogs. It's not like for humans because dogs are constantly balancing on their front two legs in the sitting position. And yes, i drive EXTREMELY slow and cautious with my dog sitting in my passenger seat, like I'm carrying a baby in the car. Going to the dog park 10 minutes away I get honked at and people give me looks sometimes because I'm going so damn slow. Doesn't help that I have a manual either for the jerkiness but I try to smooth things out as much as possible.

Process: I just took simple measurements of the passenger foot rest area. Front is thinner (side to side) than the rear. Front meaning closer to the firewall. When I took the measurements, the passenger seat was slide all the way back as far as possible so depending on your preference you may have to adjust. I figured why not just put it all the way back, I'm not going to be putting anything BEHIND the seat.
If I remember correctly, measurement from side-to-side for the front was 17"-18" and the rear side-to-side is 21-22". It is 26" long from front-to-back. I used 5/8" plywood because that's all I had in my possession but I probably would have gone with 3/8" so it's not as heavy. Also used 2x4s for the legs.

Basic platform with 4 legs, like a table. Front legs and rear legs are NOT equal lengths due to the bumps in the passenger floor. If I remember correctly, rear 2x4 legs are 8 or 9" high. Front is 6" I believe. Used wood screws to fasten together.

Make sure you sand everything down so it's splinter free, wipe it down and then try a test fit in the car. Adjust the legs (before screwing them in) and then using a pen just mark where they would go. Remove, drill a pilot hole, screw it together. It's done!

Next, run to the fabric store such as Michael's. I bought one that similarly matched the cloth in my car. Would have looked kind of funny if it was vinyl or leather IMO. Bought tacky glue and a 12oz bag of Polyester fill.
Cut the fabric (make sure you have enough to wrap around and have a few inches left over to glue down. Glue 2 perpendicular sides. Then start stuffing with fill. Spread it out, no need to make it super fluffy, just evenly distributed. Glue the last 2 sides and seal it up.
Leave it in the hot sun for a day or two for the glue to dry up.
DO NOT try to screw screws to fasten the fabric to the wood. I tried this and what happened was the screw just tangled up the fabric and twisted it all up. The fabric is really tough. If you must, you need to drill a hole first with a small bit and then use a nail but the glue should be enough.

Making the legs

The platform (make sure you round the edges unless you want your Z's carpet ripped up. Sand everything smooth.

Basic idea, before screwing. needed to cut down the front legs once I tried it in the car

Everything screwed together, time for upholstery

Another view of it assembled

After upholstery, glue still wet and running. Left it outside in 100F weather for a day.

End result:
350z and big dog...-d5cfufj.jpg
350z and big dog...-p04mtgc.jpg
350z and big dog...-twnvmr5.jpg

My dog testing it out:
350z and big dog...-g0t3oi0.jpg

On the way to the dog park:
350z and big dog...-o8mfyxv.jpg

For those interested, I use a dog Hammock seat cover like this one
Amazon.com: Solvit 62314 Waterproof Hammock Seat Cover for Pets: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Solvit 62314 Waterproof Hammock Seat Cover for Pets: Pet Supplies

It's just folded in half, wrapped around the headrest pins. That way I get ZERO dog hair, dirty and grime. Don't want her ruining the interior. Bought it at Marshalls for $12 or so.

fits in the hatch and easily removed! overall happy with it.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:03 AM
stuartc323

Nice shiit OP,post up the dimensions, I might have to use this for my Weimariner.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:55 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

nice handy work…I hauled my 50lb siberian husky by removing the passenger side seat and put a moving blanket down…the door panel and drive shaft/exhuast duct gave her plenty to lean up against…the few times that she rode with me it was granny shifting and easy driving…

otherwise it's simply throw the dogs in the truck…something similar, cut to fit OSB board, wrapped with an inexpensive outdoor rug.
Name:  null_zps4ba8022a.jpg
Views: 1544
Size:  128.1 KB

Last edited by bealljk; 10-09-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:10 PM
SR71
Lead Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 305 Likes on 166 Posts

True story: I have the same happy look on my face when I have Apple Jacks in front of me.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:27 AM
superstuddc27

Update:

Im rethinking this situation with my dog. I have successfully used my platform for the past 6 months but I recently read something on reddit about a lady that got into a car accident a dog harness seat belt called clickit saved her dog's life pretty much.

I drive extremely carefully and aware when I transport my dog and it's only a couple times a week to a dog park that's 15 mins away but it's always in the back of mind that the airbag isn't turned off. I would stress about that esp because I can hit something very soft at 15mph and the airbag will go off and possibly kill my dog. I'm would never be able to forgive myself if that happened. But then being that the Z is my daily the only solution is to sell the car or find a way to disable/turn off the airbag on the passenger side and find a way to latch down the 3-point harness dog seat belt.
Thought about removing the seat and bolting down some kind of crate but dont think it would fit, not to mention heavy alteration of the car?

My last ditch effort, anyone have any suggestions for transport safely in the Z for a big dog or some DIY for a seatbelt system, I'm all ears right now. I'm sure there are ways to turn the airbag off.

If not, I dont know if this will derail the thread but I'm open to suggestions on cars that are in the same price range as the Z that you guys have owned and would recommend. That obviously would not be a 2-seater. I still love track days and autocross so it'd have to be something sporty. Looking into the G35 coupe at the moment, maybe a 3 series. Only wrx in the area for the price i can sell the Z are bug eyed that are salvaged or high mileage.

I do not want to sell this car..
Old 06-29-2014, 08:03 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I would take all your worry and fear and channel that into driving smarter and more defensive. There are far too many scenarios to consider but if the passenger side front airbag goes off that means either someone hit you head on (that could happen) or that you rear-ended someone (more likely).

have you considered getting a 2nd vehicle? like a small truck or SUV? Don't want to repeat myself but having a polar-opposite vehicle is nice, can haul just about anything, great for camping/mountain trips, can haul myself, the gf, a few dogs and gear. The F150 wasnt my first alternate vehicle, I had a sh!tbox 1988 chevy 1500 4wd - true definiion of a beater, but it was great in the winters, kept miles off the z and served it's purpose. It go hit and that's when I bought the F150 that I'm in now. I'm not saying spend more that $1-$2k but something you can drive when you don't want to drive the Z.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:12 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

A well equipped pet shop will have a dozen or more styles of harnesses and vests designed to interact with the seatbelt. The Z’s seatbelts have pretensioners powered by the same type of charge that deploys the airbags. In the event of a crash the pretensioner will pull the dog back into the seat away from a deploying airbag.

Nissan sells and can install a key operated off switch for the passenger airbag. It’s a considerable hassle and probably expensive to get them to install this though. Depending how handy you are, I have heard of people installing non-Nissan switches.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:05 PM
ksuberk54

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do all huskies have different eye colors?
Old 06-29-2014, 01:27 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Siberian husky’s like other Arctic breeds have some very complex genetics when it comes to eye and coat coloring. It’s not unusual to have brown, blue and even green eyes alternate from generation to generation as well as creating bi-colored eyes as in Bealljk’s post.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:03 PM
350zsunshinefl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 06-29-2014, 03:06 PM
350zsunshinefl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just make sure you don't close the hatch on the tail or you will have one mean dog when you open it lol.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:18 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a French bulldog so I'm not much help. I just throw a dog blanket on my seat and ready to go.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:35 AM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

I have a big dog. I usually carry it in one of those roomy U-shaped pants.

All kidding aside, no way in hell is a dog going to be carried around in my Z. You guys are cray cray.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:40 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismo350z#0310
I have a big dog. I usually carry it in one of those roomy U-shaped pants.

All kidding aside, no way in hell is a dog going to be carried around in my Z. You guys are cray cray.
My pug and French bulldog disagree! They love the torque and when I push in the gas they just fly back into the seat.

Quick Reply: 350z and big dog...