Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What do you think of my Z?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 09:06 AM
RacingBlack350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got tired of the blue couplers. Put some black ones on this morning, much cleaner IMO.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:43 AM
Chromatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great.

I have an '08 model, so it's the dual intakes from the factory.. so I decided to just put in two drop in K&N filters as the factory intake system seemed to make more sense than putting an "intake system" in with cones on the end.

I'm curious, with your single intake , being inside the engine bay.. does it net you better performance/mpg etc? In my mind I didn't go this route because I didn't want "heated" air to be sucked into the engine since the stock pulled from the lower front. Plus the faster you go with stock intake tube(s) you may get a "Ram air" effect.. which is probably negligable.. but doesn't hurt anyway.

Yours definitely looks much cooler though! -- Maybe the whole K&N filter deal is really just a push,.. some claim improvements, other say it does absolutely zero .. then on the other end of the spectrum you have those who say it damages the engine. I fall in the middle,.. I think it is bound to increase airflow by design, thus increase performance/efficiency by some micro-percentage, but nothing you can feel in the seat of the pants, per se.

Just wondered your thoughts on the location of your air filter basically (Not saying that filter is even a K&N.. just location).

Last edited by Chromatic; 12-26-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:58 PM
RacingBlack350Z

Originally Posted by Chromatic
Looks great.

I have an '08 model, so it's the dual intakes from the factory.. so I decided to just put in two drop in K&N filters as the factory intake system seemed to make more sense than putting an "intake system" in with cones on the end.

I'm curious, with your single intake , being inside the engine bay.. does it net you better performance/mpg etc? In my mind I didn't go this route because I didn't want "heated" air to be sucked into the engine since the stock pulled from the lower front. Plus the faster you go with stock intake tube(s) you may get a "Ram air" effect.. which is probably negligable.. but doesn't hurt anyway.

Yours definitely looks much cooler though! -- Maybe the whole K&N filter deal is really just a push,.. some claim improvements, other say it does absolutely zero .. then on the other end of the spectrum you have those who say it damages the engine. I fall in the middle,.. I think it is bound to increase airflow by design, thus increase performance/efficiency by some micro-percentage, but nothing you can feel in the seat of the pants, per se.

Just wondered your thoughts on the location of your air filter basically (Not saying that filter is even a K&N.. just location).
I haven't noticed a huge difference in mpg change. It is hard for me to answer because there are a lot of things that influenced the gas mileage when I installed it. First, when I installed the Pop Charger I had installed the MREV2 and Plenum Spacer a few days before. Also, the temperature was dropping so my mpg was going down too since I was warming it up every day in the garage. Position wise, I have read a lot of different theories, but each have the pros and cons. While cold air intakes bring cooler air in from farther away, the air heats up as it moves through the intake and may not make a difference at all compared to a short ram intake. Opinions go both ways, but there are a lot of factors that prevent me from giving you a very good analysis of what I have seen haha. I trusted that the Pop Charger was the best choice because of its reputation on the forum and the dyno sheets I've seen. Plus it is cheaper than an entire CAI from Injen, AEM, etc.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Abog159

Looks great in for progress
+10000 on new wheels
im a young owner too and its good to see another with a straight head
I bring my Z to college and haven't had any problems, i just park in the same spot everyday and everyone knows to stay away from her lol
Enjoy your modding while it lasts, when you get to college you can say good bye to any spare change
Old 12-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Chromatic

Originally Posted by Abog159
+10000 on new wheels
I bring my Z to college and haven't had any problems, i just park in the same spot everyday and everyone knows to stay away from her lol
Enjoy your modding while it lasts, when you get to college you can say good bye to any spare change
+1

Also,.. in college you can still mod. Just depends on your situation.

Is it paid for? If so,.. then a part time job is certainly doable,.. If you want to just focus on school and no job.. then of course you have no income, unless you have exceptionally nice parents who will give you some sort of monthly "allowance".

I've known people who's parents bought them 50k cars at age 15,.. a new car for college.. paid for college.. paid for them a nice apartment near college.. and gave them a credit card to use to buy anything they needed the whole time. That, is the life.. also tends to create people who don't know the value of a buck

But, A happy medium is paid for college.. and help monetarily.. If you take a serious load every semester, I don't see any issue with parents taking care of money issues if you need what would equate to a full work week to go to class and study.

I know when I was in college.. I took 3 classes a semester (sometimes 4) .. and I had plenty of spare time.. So worked a 30hour a week job, and was modding my mustang at the time.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:55 PM
Chromatic

Originally Posted by RacingBlack350Z
I haven't noticed a huge difference in mpg change. Also, the temperature was dropping so my mpg was going down too since I was warming it up every day in the garage. Position wise, I have read a lot of different theories, but each have the pros and cons. I trusted that the Pop Charger was the best choice because of its reputation on the forum and the dyno sheets I've seen. Plus it is cheaper than an entire CAI from Injen, AEM, etc.
Gotcha. I went the other way with it.. I read Dyno charts,.. and opinions, and decided to buy 2 drop in's and use the dual intake system that the my 2008 model has.

I think , perhaps, for the older models with the single intake system,.. a system like you have may be more beneficial.. but for the newer ones with true dual intakes (in my opinion) it is "wiser" to go with drop ins.

Anyhow.. it certainly doesn't hurt.

I bought mine because they pay for themselves over time not having to ever change , in my case, TWO air filters. The performance or efficiency aspect I just look at as a bonus if it even exists at all.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:50 PM
RacingBlack350Z

Originally Posted by Abog159
+10000 on new wheels
I am planning on trying it out for freshman year now. I am also getting either Advan RZ's or Volk TE37's towards the end of next year. With school, wrestling, and shadowing doctors, I only have so much time to make that much money! I am going to put track tires on (haven't researched yet) and make them my summer wheels. Any opinions on the RZ's vs Volks?
Old 12-26-2013, 08:59 PM
RacingBlack350Z

Originally Posted by Chromatic
+1

Also,.. in college you can still mod. Just depends on your situation.

Is it paid for? If so,.. then a part time job is certainly doable,.. If you want to just focus on school and no job.. then of course you have no income, unless you have exceptionally nice parents who will give you some sort of monthly "allowance".

I've known people who's parents bought them 50k cars at age 15,.. a new car for college.. paid for college.. paid for them a nice apartment near college.. and gave them a credit card to use to buy anything they needed the whole time. That, is the life.. also tends to create people who don't know the value of a buck

But, A happy medium is paid for college.. and help monetarily.. If you take a serious load every semester, I don't see any issue with parents taking care of money issues if you need what would equate to a full work week to go to class and study.

I know when I was in college.. I took 3 classes a semester (sometimes 4) .. and I had plenty of spare time.. So worked a 30hour a week job, and was modding my mustang at the time.
I am not sure how college is going to go for me. I plan on trying to go to dental school, then get into a residency for oral surgery. Need less to say I need a 4.0 all of undergrad. I'd like to work, but school comes first. And I am not the kid who's parents buy everything haha. I know I'm lucky to have them buy me this car and they will be paying for my schooling as well. I will definitely be working a lot in the summers to save for my build. I guess it helps that I am not huge on partying so my time there will be well spent.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:13 PM
RacingBlack350Z

This is months in advance, but just want to get some opinions. I know everyone on here generally likes the TE37's above almost all wheels, but what do you think would look best for me? I would do Formula Silver TE37 or Hyper Silver Advan RZ.
Advan:

Only pic I've found of silver on black Z.

Volk:

Just found some pics for reference.
I am planning doing 18x10-10.5 in rear and 18x9-9.5 in front.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:13 PM
Abog159

Originally Posted by RacingBlack350Z
I am planning on trying it out for freshman year now. I am also getting either Advan RZ's or Volk TE37's towards the end of next year. With school, wrestling, and shadowing doctors, I only have so much time to make that much money! I am going to put track tires on (haven't researched yet) and make them my summer wheels. Any opinions on the RZ's vs Volks?
I am a huge fan of the TEs and that makes me biased but yeah you just can't beat them
Old 12-31-2013, 07:12 AM
RacingBlack350Z

Order has been placed for the Motordyne ART Pipes They are shipping out tonight and should be here hopefully by the end of the week!

Edit: Just contacted Jon at ET Tuning to talk about scheduling an appointment for an Uprev tune.

Last edited by RacingBlack350Z; 12-31-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:00 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

are you hr or de.. cant remember. YOU WILL LOVE THEM
Old 12-31-2013, 08:20 AM
RacingBlack350Z

Originally Posted by travlee9374
are you hr or de.. cant remember. YOU WILL LOVE THEM
DE, some people think its dumb to modify a DE but I am not trying to make as much power as possible, I am just doin enough to make it have solid power and handling, great sound, and eventually finish up the the cosmetic aspect
Old 12-31-2013, 08:23 AM
travlee
Master

its not dumb its your car, what exhaust do you have now?
Old 12-31-2013, 08:37 AM
RacingBlack350Z

its not dumb its your car, what exhaust do you have now?
Same as you!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:43 AM
travlee
Master

when you fire it up after the art install, get ready to say "oh my god", is is like angels singing (very loudly) and causes eargasms. it may sound weird but give it a month or two and the tone will get a little deeper
Old 12-31-2013, 08:45 AM
travlee
Master

one thing i did, because i am way ocd, is i didnt trust the crush washers they came with... so i took a dremel to the OEM header gaskets and made the hole bigger to fit around the crush gasket... so essentially i have two up there.. make sense?

i know it wasnt needed, but made me feel better

Last edited by travlee; 12-31-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:06 AM
RacingBlack350Z

when you fire it up after the art install, get ready to say "oh my god", is is like angels singing (very loudly) and causes eargasms. it may sound weird but give it a month or two and the tone will get a little deeper
I am soo looking forward to that plus the extra power is going to be nice

one thing i did, because i am way ocd, is i didnt trust the crush washers they came with... so i took a dremel to the OEM header gaskets and made the hole bigger to fit around the crush gasket... so essentially i have two up there.. make sense?
Yes that makes sense. I will not be putting these in though. I would enjoy doing it, but I am doing everything at ET Tuning. I need them to install the pipes because I am getting a tune without the ART Pipes and a tune with them so that when I have to get it inspected I can switch out the ART Pipes for the cats change over the tune. It is all happening in one day so I am just having them do it there. I will make sure to bring it up with them, thanks for the advice

Any guess what might numbers might be? BTW I will definitely be getting videos and pictures from the dyno to show everyone.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:09 AM
travlee
Master

not sure on yours, on a mustang dyno i put down 286 with intakes, art and tdx2. curious what a dynojet or another one would show

initial with kinetix hfc and invidia exhaust was 274, then i swapped to art, lost some, the swapped to tdx2 and got retune

Last edited by travlee; 12-31-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:34 AM
RacingBlack350Z

Good numbers..what does the hr have for stock whp?
I thought i read on a dyno sheet somewhere that a de has 250ish whp. Could be misled