Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Was the 350z your dream car?

Old 12-29-2013, 05:42 PM
iamjustincase

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xTreyx
I just now got into the car scene and got a lot of attention so I did make the decision to start modding this winter. Starting with just K&N drop ins, stillen headers, some test pipes, ARK exhaust, ZEX wet kit with possibly 75-100 shot. Havent decided 100% yet. Upgrade the clutch and breaks and such. Then kind of go from there. Also no I havent read that story. Also what engine did you swap in?
I swapped in another VQ35DE mostly because I needed to get it on the road and I came across a cheap deal on a used one. Thought about a 2jz then found out its a bad idea weight and what not. Still have the other engine(spun bearing) its stored for now, plans to have a fully built engine slowly for possible FI. Not sure on what direction i want to go yet.

Right now its braving the snow and ice in lower Ontario. Mostly the salt scares me.

Nitrous. Wow. Wish I could try that. I assume you must know your engine is pretty reliable all around then. Having bought mine used i never know -_-

Dugan - https://my350z.com/forum/the-lounge-...nksgiving.html

its a long read. i enjoyed it tho. i get the impression hes a celebrity around here. in the wrong way. a wild dugan account appears every now and then and people post for the anniversary. i find it extremely funny but hes the reason young people get bad reps with these cars.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:16 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chromatic
I agree. That holds true for many American Sports (or muscle) cars to me. Don't misunderstand me.. I've owned 2 Mustangs, and recently a Pontiac Solstice (waaay too small.. and quick, but could have used another 75 horsepower) -- and in my experience,.. American cars just aren't built like Japanese, German, etc. Engine or body.. They don't feel as solid like the Nissan 350Z,.. or even like you say Honda (anything).. I've taken quite a few Nissans, and Toyotas multiple hundreds of thousands of miles on those engines without any major work.. Last one was the Toyota (Lexus ) that Had 350k miles on it and was still running like a champ.

On the american cars.. I as always ending up having to change the water pump at 40-50k ish.. and other such items on the engine that were accessories that should last 100k+ by default imho... that "generally" do on Nissans, Hondas, Toyota, etc.. I leave out Mitsubishi because many people I know (friends and family) have had serious issues with different models of Mitsubishi over the years.

This isn't to say American cars are a dumb buy.. they aren't,.. just don't buy one and expect it to go 250k without some major work in there.. compared to a nissan , honda or toyota type engine that are just engineered to last longer on the internals (in my experience).

And yes.. The corvettes I've driven never felt solid either. That said, I do wonder what the new 2014 feels like.. it looks like a million bucks to me. Every now and again an American car company will put out a winner..

IE: Ford hit a homerun with the 88+ Mustang 5.0's.. the aftermarket on those was (and still is to some extent) absolutely huge.

Our 350Z's cost more to modify.. but they aren't out of budget. While you can throw exhaust on a Mustang for under $500 fairly easily.. (installed professionally) you need a little more to do it on a 350Z... But it's not like modding a Ferrari
I would say the Cadillac CTS-V coupe of 2013 is the best all around performer, design and refinement out of every American made car that would be considered sports that I have ever driven. I would take it over all the others except the Saleen S7 and SRT Viper. Those engineers at Cadillac hit the ball out of the park with the CTS-V and most of their recent cars in their line up. The power of a Corvette C6 ZR1 but with attention to detail everywhere else.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:47 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I started with the 260Z, my friend had a 240Z and that's when I knew I wanted one. Then got a 280Z, put the webbers side draft six pack on it, and knew I was in the Z mode. I bought the 2003Z Track Model in 2003 soon as they came out, have the Vortech S/C on it and plan to keep it till I some day get a newer one or go up one step to the GTR NISMO. I've also owned several Camaro's incluiding the '68 with the 327 which was a go getter stock, and the Porsche 911, which I owned while in Hawaii and which I sold prior to getting back into the Z's. I always build onto the stock engines (FI) with the extra safety mods. I really like the Z's, and 500hp is enough hp for more me, so that the idiots don't cut me off at stoplights, stop signs, etc. I take mine on the Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca Track here once or twice a year with a car group (in several groups/clubs here) and live only approx. 12 miles from the track. I am the Area Representative for "ZONC" Z/ Onwers of Northern California. As to ZONC, check out Northern California Section, and you can see that the first run for the club is on January 1st, 2014 as an example. Here things are happening year round for the Z/G groups...(No real winters)... LOL

Last edited by WSchli1672; 12-29-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:14 PM
CJM

Received 88 Likes on 44 Posts

The Z is definitely not my dream car, however, it is a perfect stepping stone onto bigger and better things. I too fall into the age discrimination category. I caught the car fever from my father. Together we built his 1966 Chevy Nova drag car. I still can remember being 5 or 6 and helping him put together his 540 big block and adjusting the butterflies in the carburetor.

To my father's dismay, I turned away from liking domestic cars about 5 years ago. I had my mind set on a 350z from the age of 13 and no one could change my mind. I worked all summer, every summer and saved every dollar I earned until now. 5 years from telling my parents that I am going to buy a Z with my own money, I am sitting here typing this. Next weekend I will be purchasing her. A beautiful 2003 Brickyard. She isn't my dream car, but it is something that will put a smile on my face and make me happy until I move on in life. /storytime
Old 12-29-2013, 11:31 PM
cudaben

The Z sure does have sex appeal.

American cars VS imports isn't really fair. They are built for totally different goals.

The vette thing... well they are ok if you want a quick car and don't know how to turn a wrench, or want to.
I had my beater honda civic- 2.3 stroker prelude engine, H22(non vtec block non FRM cylinder walls, with a f23 crank, h22a1 (vtec) head, ported, epoxied, custom header and exhaust built by me. Gigantic cams, and springs to hold the valves in the head. 12.5 to 1 comp on pump gas, tuned by me as well. H2B transmission conversion Used a type R LSD trans. Ran the car on 91 pump gas. Very little Deto, only low rpm with a load.
I had like under 5k in the car and the build. I smoked Vettes, from a roll, from a stop light time and time again. So the Vette thing to me, I may be jaded, but they are for old guys. They are not that special. But at the end of the day I still had a 93 honda civic hatchback.... didn't like how it looked, didn't like how it rode, didn't like how sounded... loved how F N fast it was.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:54 AM
xTreyx

Originally Posted by iamjustincase
I swapped in another VQ35DE mostly because I needed to get it on the road and I came across a cheap deal on a used one. Thought about a 2jz then found out its a bad idea weight and what not. Still have the other engine(spun bearing) its stored for now, plans to have a fully built engine slowly for possible FI. Not sure on what direction i want to go yet. Right now its braving the snow and ice in lower Ontario. Mostly the salt scares me. Nitrous. Wow. Wish I could try that. I assume you must know your engine is pretty reliable all around then. Having bought mine used i never know -_- Dugan - https://my350z.com/forum/the-lounge-...nksgiving.html its a long read. i enjoyed it tho. i get the impression hes a celebrity around here. in the wrong way. a wild dugan account appears every now and then and people post for the anniversary. i find it extremely funny but hes the reason young people get bad reps with these cars.
I'm going nitrous but I'm not dropping a huge shot on it. Everything I've read has said the engine itself handles well with nitrous not to mention as long as it's done right it shouldn't cause a problem. And I really won't be using it much. I hope to budget myself to the point of buying a TT kit. I will have to read that now though since I am very bored at work haha
Old 12-30-2013, 12:55 AM
xTreyx

I'm going nitrous but I'm not dropping a huge shot on it. Everything I've read has said the engine itself handles well with nitrous not to mention as long as it's done right it shouldn't cause a problem. And I really won't be using it much. I hope to budget myself to the point of buying a TT kit. I will have to read that now though since I am very bored at work haha
Old 12-30-2013, 04:51 AM
Osborn Wu

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It was my dream car before I got it, now my dream car is a GTR lol

we are all human and we will never be satisfied!
Old 12-30-2013, 05:01 AM
Jah70

Originally Posted by xTreyx
Your going to race your Z on a drag strip?
Old 12-30-2013, 05:06 AM
zach711f

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

When they first came out I thought they were hot shiit. Years later I drove a friends for the first time and thought it was a slow gutless *****. Years later from then another friend took me for a ride along at a drift event in his z. I traded in my speed6 for one the next day and spent all my money on it ever since lol. The first z I drove must have been a lemon or the guy fuked it up.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:39 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

I lurked this forum in 06 then after a deployment I found myself walking through dealerships of bremerton tryna figure which way to go...

for the things I wanted to do and the way I wanted to do them...the Z won

didn't even test drive it
Old 12-30-2013, 07:59 AM
goose691

When I was 12 I found a poster at my school bookfair of an orange 350z. I thought it was the coolest car I had ever seen and dreamed of owning one. Well, 11 years later, I found the poster dusty in a closet and told myself, screw it, i'm buying one and not letting anything stop me. And now I am in love.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:42 AM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

No it wasn't.

My dream car was a Twin Turbo Saleen S7.

I dreamz big though.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:36 AM
DaBaus

im 22 now. Nevver in my life ever I would have thought I could own such a nice car as this 350z.

Growing up...My dream car was always the Nissan Skyline R34, Honda S2000, and Subaru WRX STI (04-05) I would read forums and search autotrader for hours just looking at different ones for sale and reading about modded ones.

My father owned an Acura NSX for 4 years and I thought that it was the BEST car in the world. Now he drives a 2008 BMW M5 E60 and that car is super fun to drive.

After I drove my Z and enjoyed the torque curve and the amount of power delivered once you pressed the gas pedal in the right gear. It truly grew on me. Coming out of a 1993 Lexus SC300 with a 1jz-gte swap I realized the importance of balance over power. Handling of the Z is phenomenal.

Also I really enjoy how close knit the Zenthusiasts are in this world...Especially during ZdayZ or any big National get togethers.

Last edited by DaBaus; 12-30-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:41 AM
RedUzziJDM

lol Don't get me wrong but my 350z is just a toy, something I could play with and beat up.

My dearm car would be a super car, I have so many lol.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I always liked them, especially since I love the rear end of the MK4. The Z has a nice fat ***. Personally its not my "DRRREEEAMMMMMM" car, but if this is as close as I ever get, I would be ok with it. I make the most of what I have, and I cant complain at all with my Z. : /
Old 12-30-2013, 10:41 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,578 Likes on 2,037 Posts

The Z was never my dream car, it became my nightmare.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:38 AM
Jah70

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
The Z was never my dream car, it became my nightmare.
Why and how? Unless you tried modifying it I can see it becoming a nightmare with a growing money pit and it's lowered unreliability when it's modified. Other than that these cars are designed to last up to 200,000 miles (that's what Nissan claims and it's apparently true with the amount of Z's I came across with 210k miles, 260k etc).
Old 12-30-2013, 11:41 AM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

+1 on the "Nope. Not even close." But, it's all perspective - age vs. cars, etc.

I so wanted a 300ZX-TT back in the day. And, a Supra. And, a Lotus Esprit Turbo. And, then a Chrysler Conquest TSi. None of which I could afford at the time. The Conquest was finally obtainable price wise - but, I couldn't afford the insurance being under 25 years old.

Now, I could buy any one of them, but don't. Heck, a Chevy Malibu has more power and better handling characteristics nowadays.

Nonetheless, I'm glad I got my 350Z when I did. Still a fun track car.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:41 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,578 Likes on 2,037 Posts

Originally Posted by jah70
why and how? Unless you tried modifying it i can see it becoming a nightmare with a growing money pit and it's lowered unreliability when it's modified. Other than that these cars are designed to last up to 200,000 miles (that's what nissan claims and it's apparently true with the amount of z's i came across with 210k miles, 260k etc).
revup

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Was the 350z your dream car?