2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Was AT available for the 2004 Base model? I don't think it was.

Shawn has a 2004 Base 350z.

--Spike

Originally Posted by npr350z
On the 03's the only models with an at where the touring. That changed in later years. Then you could get a base with an auto. Note autos without cruise control. I'll not the technically only tourings came with auto...but it does seem it was an option or somehow bases ended up with at. If you look at enough forsake z's you'll see a base auto.
Had to look that up! Shame on us all for not knowing all years and trim packages of z's!
Old 04-06-2014, 03:23 PM
npr350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

technically all z's with auto where touring, i did a couple google double searches to check.

but in hunting down a z with my buddy...we came across a few bases with autos in washington. ofcourse the adds would say base, show the steering wheel, all that. wed go out there and it was an auto. i even climbed around a few.. no vdc, no brembos, no cruise control,no sensors for the cruise control,base seats,non heated mirrors, id assume after all that no lsd. so i can say there is an 05 z base auto, a 03 auto( it had the cup holder) and a hr auto base.....its either some few got sent out or all that stuff got ripped out.

i honestly really didnt think about that till now...i wonder if it was just all that stuff got ripped out and sold or if it was just a base with an auto...
Old 04-06-2014, 04:08 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

That is what I thought... The Base model didn't include AT in 2004.

I believe that was Shawn's assumption as well, and the reason he answered the MT or AT question identifying his car as a Base Model.

Mercifully he knows what running lean means.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:13 PM
npr350z

if only nick24ba, lean guy, and dugan33 (that right?) and the guy that wants the auto clutch and is aiming for 380whp na (check it out)could all meet...they could all become the 4 z drivers of the apocalypse

everyone know running leans, means going on a diet so your car will be faster..duh!
Old 04-06-2014, 04:45 PM
forgusneurken
Banned

if only nick24ba, lean guy, and dugan33 (that right?) and the guy that wants the auto clutch and is aiming for 380whp na (check it out)could all meet...they could all become the 4 z drivers of the apocalypse

everyone know running leans, means going on a diet so your car will be faster..duh!
lean guy?

Last edited by forgusneurken; 04-06-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:49 PM
npr350z

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...um-spacer.html

Czirrfb

Last edited by npr350z; 04-06-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:51 PM
forgusneurken
Banned

Holy chit, 20 pages! lol
Old 04-06-2014, 04:53 PM
npr350z

It got in tents! That's right, everyone went camping!
Old 04-06-2014, 04:56 PM
forgusneurken
Banned

It got in tents! That's right, everyone went camping!
Question, from your sig I see you have a pop charger. Is it worth it over the stock box? I was thinking of a cold air intake since I live in a dry place.

So my question is out of these 3 which is best for performance only (dont care about sound)

-Stock box
-pop charger
-k&n cold air intake

Thanks bro, sry to go off topic
Old 04-06-2014, 05:01 PM
BigBlue

Received 186 Likes on 137 Posts

You may want to get a good drop in air filter at least, or upgrading your air intake system and check into getting an UpRev kit so that you can get your ecu dialed in and be able to keep it that way. Good true dual exhaust is high on the early list. I'd say basically: intake/exhaust/tune. good luck with it all!

Last edited by BigBlue; 04-06-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:02 PM
forgusneurken
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBlue
You may want to get a good drop in air filter at least, or upgrading your air intake system and check into getting an UpRev kit so that you can get your ecu dialed in. Good true dual exhaust is high on the early list. good luck with it all!
I already got a k&n drop in filter for the stock box until I can save for a good intake, be it pop charger or CAI but I read stock box is superior to both? Specifically the 06+ stock box's I currently have a DE Z is the HR box compatible?
Old 04-06-2014, 05:06 PM
npr350z

Well that's quite an argument. Many people argue the 06 stock air box shows the most gains... But I've never seen anything to convince me 100%

The jwt pop charger- cheap, effective, love it.

The k&n...I was a k&n man for a long time. I'm now more of an injen man( because amsoil filters) but the k&n shows solid power and if I'm thinking of the right one it's a plastic to cut down on heat soak.

All great products. If your budget allows and you don't have any further plans the k&n is good.
If your on the fence or on a budget or will go a diff direction, the pop charger. You won't regret it.
If your feeling supper sassy, buy a maf housing adapter, a velocity stack, and get them welded together. Throw in a good cone filter, and make your own heat shield. It'd probably cost the same as the pop charger, but if you do it right it'd look good.

But my vote goes for the pop charger, unless your just doing the intake and exhaust and calling it done.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:08 PM
forgusneurken
Banned

Well that's quite an argument. Many people argue the 06 stock air box shows the most gains... But I've never seen anything to convince me 100%

The jwt pop charger- cheap, effective, love it.

The k&n...I was a k&n man for a long time. I'm now more of an injen man( because amsoil filters) but the k&n shows solid power and if I'm thinking of the right one it's a plastic to cut down on heat soak.

All great products. If your budget allows and you don't have any further plans the k&n is good.
If your on the fence or on a budget or will go a diff direction, the pop charger. You won't regret it.
If your feeling supper sassy, buy a maf housing adapter, a velocity stack, and get them welded together. Throw in a good cone filter, and make your own heat shield. It'd probably cost the same as the pop charger, but if you do it right it'd look good.

But my vote goes for the pop charger, unless your just doing the intake and exhaust and calling it done.
I was always led to believe a CAI shows the most gains (for obvious reasons) but I see like 85% of Z owners have the pop charger (and there must be a reason why) which is a short ram intake right? I would imagine a CAI > pop charger/stock box?
Old 04-06-2014, 05:13 PM
npr350z

Price, reputable company, hydro locking, carb legal, simple install, reusable filter, and I'm sure there is more.

I'd rather be safe than chasing another 1-2hp...then again I got a titek speed hole in front of it...so idk if that exactly safe either. Then again I've never heard of anyone sucking in water with one .
Old 04-06-2014, 05:15 PM
forgusneurken
Banned

Price, reputable company, hydro locking, carb legal, simple install, reusable filter, and I'm sure there is more.

I'd rather be safe than chasing another 1-2hp...then again I got a titek speed hole in front of it...so idk if that exactly safe either. Then again I've never heard of anyone sucking in water with one .
So would you say...

- Dont care about sound of car.
- Lives in the desert.
- Smooth roads and daily driving.
- Stock ride height
- HP gains and engine cooling are main focus.

Would a CAI be the best option for me? I live in VERY hot place, like 120 in the summer so keeping my engine the coolest is my goal.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:29 PM
npr350z

eh cai ftw. you kinda seem set on it.
i live in nm with terrible terrible terrible roads....and i have had cai on other cars before, with no issue, just for my peace of mind. plus every know and then some crazy rain blows in. i got my popcharger, intake spacer, and test pipes as a gift so i never had this debate.

just cause i watched this the other day...long ram intake! cereal note though. momentum made some good stuff

http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=7288
Old 04-06-2014, 05:35 PM
Shawns'Z

Originally Posted by Spike100
That is what I thought... The Base model didn't include AT in 2004.

I believe that was Shawn's assumption as well, and the reason he answered the MT or AT question identifying his car as a Base Model.

Mercifully he knows what running lean means.
Lol yes, I've been around cars my whole life and helped rebuild a few.

My next question is I'm about to have 400$ freed up and I'm trying to decide what to spend it on. I'm thinking test pipes and a spacer. And I already have the k&n drop in air filter and the flowmaster 80 series muffler. ( didn't mention it earlier because I don't think either of them added but 1-2 hp.) so what do you guys think? Money well spent or should I start differently?
Old 04-06-2014, 05:41 PM
npr350z

the test pipes and spacer are a great start! just make sure you get them for a de!
Old 04-06-2014, 05:42 PM
npr350z

oh and beware the check engine light if you dont use defoulers or get a tune.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Shawns'Z

I read the other day about the non fouler trick, and today at a car show I had a guy tell me to pack stainless steel wool in the non fouler and it keep the cel light from coming on.

Quick Reply: Power question?