Sponsored by:

Question regarding acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 12:51 AM
ReaBeltran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding acceleration

Hello everyone,

I tired using the search function in the forum but i'm not exactly sure what the actual problem is with my car.

So here's the situation, whenever i'm driving no matter what gear it's in really if i floor it, the car will rev up with no acceleration then drop down a few thousand rpm's and catch and then accelerate, this is without shifting.

Any idea what may be causing this?

I have an 05' touring model 350, Manual

If it is the clutch, how long do i have before it actually goes out? I don't drive it hard.

Thank you for your time and help in advance.

Last edited by ReaBeltran; 04-20-2014 at 01:11 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:47 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Jesse It will only get worse , it would be a clutch.

Last edited by terrasmak; 04-20-2014 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:27 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Definitely the clutch. As Terra said, it will only get worse.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:37 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you nurse it along for a while, you'll probably need a flywheel and pressure plate, too. The more it slips, the more likely those parts will be damaged.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:32 AM
ReaBeltran

If i do replace the clutch is it wise to replace everything in it Clutch & Flywheel?
Old 04-20-2014, 01:15 PM
Broseph Stalin

you don't have to get a new one, but you should at least have your flywheel resurfaced
Old 04-20-2014, 01:31 PM
NismoDude

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Definitely fix it asap before you do more damage to your car.

Mileage on your Z? Do you do alot of full throttle clutch dumps? dragstrip racing?
Old 04-21-2014, 04:26 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Definitely the clutch. I highly recommend taking care of this problem asap before the damage gets worse and the car becomes undriveable. If you let it become immobilized then you'll be paying to repair a lot more than just a simple new clutch.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:53 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

+6 on the clutch...
Old 04-21-2014, 05:31 PM
RangerDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my clutch go out 2 weeks after i got the car (used obviously but the heavy driving from being a new sports car to me didn;t help) and it already had the nismo flywheel and nismo clutch, i had the nismo flywheel resurfaced an a fidenza kevlar clutch thrown in. After that the car sounded like it was going to fall apart when taking off cuz it was soo jumpy and it was just junk all around and it actually died 6 months later.

Take it from my adventure that there are a few things to do to the 350z clutch system to make it not suck so much. The following is what ive done and i can now drive hard and this clutch is now 2 years old and still going strong. some of this is not needed just what i did.

-Replaced the clutch with the ACT Heavy pressure street disc HDSS
-Replaced the flywheel with the Fidenza Light weight flywheel
-RJM Clutch pedal so you can fully adjust it to be how you want, factory clutch pedal sucks and when you adjust it you risk having it engage before the center point on the spring return so it actually keeps alittle pretty on the clutch)
-SS Clutch line to replace the rubber
-Amsoil Brake fluid

All is well now for my clutch and since im happy with the clutch i can just buy the disc now with out having to grab the whole kit,
Old 04-22-2014, 12:31 AM
ReaBeltran

Originally Posted by NismoDude
Definitely fix it asap before you do more damage to your car.

Mileage on your Z? Do you do alot of full throttle clutch dumps? dragstrip racing?
Milage is at 73k right now, it isn't driven hard as it is my daily driver. I don't track it at all or race it whatsoever. The most i do to it is, rarely, ill get on it on the freeway but nothing hard on it. I am the second owner of the vehicle right now.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:21 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RangerDave
I had my clutch go out 2 weeks after i got the car (used obviously but the heavy driving from being a new sports car to me didn;t help) and it already had the nismo flywheel and nismo clutch, i had the nismo flywheel resurfaced an a fidenza kevlar clutch thrown in. After that the car sounded like it was going to fall apart when taking off cuz it was soo jumpy and it was just junk all around and it actually died 6 months later.

Take it from my adventure that there are a few things to do to the 350z clutch system to make it not suck so much. The following is what ive done and i can now drive hard and this clutch is now 2 years old and still going strong. some of this is not needed just what i did.

-Replaced the clutch with the ACT Heavy pressure street disc HDSS
-Replaced the flywheel with the Fidenza Light weight flywheel
-RJM Clutch pedal so you can fully adjust it to be how you want, factory clutch pedal sucks and when you adjust it you risk having it engage before the center point on the spring return so it actually keeps alittle pretty on the clutch)
-SS Clutch line to replace the rubber
-Amsoil Brake fluid

All is well now for my clutch and since im happy with the clutch i can just buy the disc now with out having to grab the whole kit,
Good info. I'll make sure to keep this in mind when my stock clutch starts going (running 3 years strong knock on wood). With the Findaza flywheel is there more chatter than the stock one?