Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Single Rear Tire Wear/Feathering

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 08:46 AM
cameron427

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single Rear Tire Wear/Feathering

This is the first time I've had to post a question on here. Usually I can search and find the answer, but not the case this time.

I've had my 2003 z for going on 8 years now, just my everyday daily driver, and has been extremely reliable. (minus a pivot ball replacement) I recently purchased new tires and noticed the drivers side rear was almost completely worn down on the inside edge while the passengers side wore almost evenly. Now I have almost 1000 miles on the new tires and I have noticed feathering on the inside of DS rear tire, road noise around 40 and then again at around 60ish, while the PS rear tire is perfectly fine. Living in northern Wisconsin I don't drive it during the winter, but once in a while I'll run across a light snow and recently the rear end has seemed unusually unstable in low traction situations.

130,000 miles, suspension is all factory, replaced shocks and struts and ball joints at 100k, no accidents, no pot holes. PS always sat about 1/2" lower than DS but now its at about 3/4.

With the stock camber the z's have and with the tire wear I'm having, I am assuming its a toe issue. Just curious if anyone has experienced anything similar or if there was a certain bushing that has a tendency to wear causing this issue. I'd prefer to figure out the issue fix it and then get it aligned instead of paying for an alignment first, find out I have to replace parts, and then pay for another alignment. Thank you for you time!
Old 04-23-2014, 09:04 AM
350zHalleck

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have a base model with open diff and have been aggressive with your driving style you might be spinning just the one wheel causing uneven wear.

otherwise you should get your alignment checked.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:56 AM
Zmandriving

check your bushings on all of your suspension parts. If you still got the original bushings at 130k miles might want to go and replace them. I got energy suspension on all of my bushings, whiteline makes a kit too.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:30 AM
cameron427

I plan on redoing all the bushings at the beginning of the month, but in the meantime I took a glance at what I could see with the car on the ground and tires still on. All the bushings seem to look pretty good, minus inner lower link/ camber bar (whatever the proper name is) is a little bit dry rotted.