Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Atlanta Georgia Dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 07:10 PM
Zruralracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Atlanta Georgia Dyno?

Hey all I am finally about to do an exhaust upgrade to my Z. It is a 2003 performance model. I recently ordered some 370z headers from Z1 motorsports and some berk test pipes to fit them. Z1 has a very professional packaging and I ordered the headers without the heat shields (I will be trying out some 08 heat shields to see if they fit).

So what I need help with is that I don't want to drive an hour all the way to Z1 to do a dyno for 95$ (technically twice since I need before and after ) and was wondering if anyone knew of a good shop within or near the city that isn't too pricey. I have been hearing a lot about how headers don't help or they actually give you less gains without a tune (And I do plan on a tune eventually). I mainly wanted to do this to see if it is worth the price for the amount of gains I am getting on the car or if I get any gains at all (178.00$ from Z1 w/out heat shields and 201.76 shipped to my door). So if anyone knows a good shop in the Atlanta area I would much appreciate it and maybe a dude who could let me use their lift for a little bit as well haha but I have all the tools necessary to do it over the course of a couple days in my driveway.
Attached Thumbnails Atlanta Georgia Dyno?-photo-2.jpg   Atlanta Georgia Dyno?-photo-1.jpg  

Last edited by Zruralracer; 05-08-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:47 PM
abarclay

Received 157 Likes on 109 Posts

If you're just looking for a dyno, try either Top Speed in Alpharetta or Forged Perfomance in Marietta.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Zruralracer

Oh sweet I had no idea Top Speed was located out of Alpharetta. Well I guess I will be making a trip over there sometime next week haha
Old 05-09-2014, 05:04 AM
03stampededak

Oh man, you just missed the ZDAYZ prep day at z1. Last saturday they were doing $40 dyno runs.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:17 AM
The_Assassin

$95 is really high for dyno pulls. I pay only $70 for 3 pulls. Well good luck I will be checking back to see how those headers worked out for you.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Z1Motorsports
Banned

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Zruralracer
Hey all I am finally about to do an exhaust upgrade to my Z. It is a 2003 performance model. I recently ordered some 370z headers from Z1 motorsports and some berk test pipes to fit them. Z1 has a very professional packaging and I ordered the headers without the heat shields (I will be trying out some 08 heat shields to see if they fit).

So what I need help with is that I don't want to drive an hour all the way to Z1 to do a dyno for 95$ (technically twice since I need before and after ) and was wondering if anyone knew of a good shop within or near the city that isn't too pricey. I have been hearing a lot about how headers don't help or they actually give you less gains without a tune (And I do plan on a tune eventually). I mainly wanted to do this to see if it is worth the price for the amount of gains I am getting on the car or if I get any gains at all (178.00$ from Z1 w/out heat shields and 201.76 shipped to my door). So if anyone knows a good shop in the Atlanta area I would much appreciate it and maybe a dude who could let me use their lift for a little bit as well haha but I have all the tools necessary to do it over the course of a couple days in my driveway.
Thanks for the order. We do discounted rates on that and would be more than willing to hook you up at a killer rate. Please give me a call today and we can get something going.

Thanks,

Jon
Old 05-12-2014, 02:31 PM
Zruralracer

Thanks guys for the awesome deal on the runs you rock!

Last edited by Zruralracer; 05-12-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:55 PM
Zruralracer

Okay sooo I figured I would update on this post. Anyway it has been what 6 months since mods have started on the Z? Holy crap I dropped the ball on this thread haha!

First off I discovered something unfortunate it feels like the gods curse anyone trying to show gains from before and after dyno runs. I found out over at Z1 AFTER I had installed the headers on my car that I had a bad knock sensor which was messing with how much power I was making So all that hard work was for nothing I guess. Sorry to not be able to tell you all if HR headers make any difference in power gains. Jon over at Z1 didn't spot the problem till we realized I had made 221hp with the old headers and cats and then 221hp with the new headers and berk test pipes. He eventually sorted out the code and boy did everything spike. I believe I jumped 20whp and 40'lbs of torque from something around 200/220 tq/hp to 241/242 tq/hp (I will get the dyno sheets on my next visit). Also this was with a tune off of the sweet looking track car that Z1 owns So now I have HR headers, berk test pipes, Motordyne 5/16 spacer, and the XYZ pipe w/resonator and an Osiris reflash (car hasn't been tuned with everything on it yet).

She is making a fair amount of power than what I was used to. I could see a turbo in the future but for a daily driver it is properly fun and when I saw my rev limiter hit 7100 rpm my eyes nearly popped out of my head. I love what the osiris flash from Z1 did, John knows his stuff. I know there are some concerns that the DE engine can't keep up with the higher revs but the car has been pretty reliable besides making me replace a cam timing sensor recently. I am also pretty hard on it and love hitting redline whenever I get the chance. I also managed to hit 8000+ rpm on a miss-shift and I thought I killed the car over Halloween weekend. I was partly into fifth gear and went for 6th but it didn't put up a fight and I went straight to 4th. Lucky for me I was barely into 5th gear and kicked the clutch in again immediately after 4th engaged. I also checked the engine bay for any blown gaskets this weekend during my oil change, and so far nothing has raised its head and I hope it stays that way especially with the colder months coming in.

However let me get to one of the most LIFE CHANGING MODS EVER!!!! I ran berk test pipes for a little bit and dealt with the well known rasp that comes with cat deletes. When I first heard it I thought some gaskets were loose or what not. Low and behold I found out that it is quite normal, and it makes half the owners who do this mod want to kill themselves and the other hald live in denial that their car sounds perfectly fine

Last weekend me and my bro got the XYZ pipe on, and I have no idea how I had come to live with the noises that the had originally come from just the test pipes. The sound I get now at idle ALMOST SOUNDS STOCK, that is until you rev it. Motordyne you have outdone yourself I swear I will be buying some of the art pipes when I can afford them as the XYZ sounds freaking amazing and it's QUIET WHEN I WANT IT TO BE!!! Also for anyone who stripped the bolts on the stock Y-pipe (like I did) you can actually unbolt the Y-pipe from the cats and the midpipe from the muffler and pull the whole section out from the front of the car. It does take a little bit of room but if you have ramps and a jack you should be able to do it. Anyway the XYZ pipe sounds like sex and is well worth the investment for anyone considering it. (I know I forgot to take pics I need to get some in for the update).

Next I almost forgot to mention I ordered some RS-R lowering springs. I have 2008 suspension that I got from one of our members and the spring rates on the RS-R's looked to be closest to matching the stock spring rates while adding stiffness and a bit of a drop. I combined that with some hotchkis sway bars and it made the car feel way better in the corners. I am however still getting used to the drop making a low car even lower...the speedbumps at my office center don't like me lol

Along with this my hood was cracking 4 years after a repair job and I can't exactly go back to the body shop so I tried painting it myself...yeah I know. It didn't turn out great as I still need to cut and polish the area I resprayed and if that fails I figure I will just find a nice vinyl wrap (maybe some carbon fiber since the stock hood practically weighs the same ). The only other hoods I am interested in are the stock 07-08. Back to the painting though. Painting your own hood for spot repair is NOT recommended unless your on a tight budget. I didn't get the areas I was trying to fix sanded down well enough and you can see them showing through. I added in some pictures of the prep work for anyone interested. I also ended up buying a headlight off ebay (stock oem) and replaced my foggy lense with a nice clear one after realizing that I have xenon lights and the ones I ordered were the regular ones I really didn't feel the need to return something that cheap to ebay anyway. Be warned yes you can bake your headlights in the oven, but if you have anyone else living in the house you better get their approval first because the sealant smells AWFUL. I had to open every damn window in the kitchen and living room (keep the doors leading to the fumigation area shut). Anyway it worked out and I sealed it up again with some aftermarket weather stripping cement from pep boys (I don't plan on opening my headlight again).

Anyway my mods are almost complete for now and I am quite happy with how the car is turning out after having her for a while now. My next order of business will probably be clutch and flywheel, but for now I couldn't care less she is plenty fast and I am quite content with the power she puts out. Anything more and I think I would need to arrange my schedule around visiting traffic court in Fulton county monthly.
Attached Thumbnails Atlanta Georgia Dyno?-photo-2.jpg   Atlanta Georgia Dyno?-photo-1.jpg   Atlanta Georgia Dyno?-photo-4.jpg   Atlanta Georgia Dyno?-photo-3.jpg  

Last edited by Zruralracer; 11-10-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:54 PM
yogipower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good story right there ha... who installed your headers? z1? im thinking about getting one too but i dont know if its worth to spend $900 + labor...
Old 11-17-2014, 07:52 PM
Zruralracer

I actually put them on myself. This picture sums it up

Also you wouldn't happen to be a part of ZAtlanta would you?

Last edited by Zruralracer; 11-17-2014 at 07:53 PM.