Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple performace upgrades beginners can do themselves???

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 08:56 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee9374
not today, it is a 330er
poon is poon.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:04 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

For a beginner.
Wash your car.
Vacuum Carpet
Shampoo Carpet.
Condition leather seats(if you don't have leather seats go buy some)
Install air freshner
Install fresh gasoline preferably race gas 110 octane
Old 07-09-2014, 11:28 AM
350zmonster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Syner
It does give a more aggressive sound from under the hood.
hmmmmm well If it gives my 350z a different kind of sound I don't think I would like it.. I like the original sound it gives off...Unless it gives me a similar sound from the engine and mufflers WITH a more aggressive tone to it...im picky when it comes to what my car sounds like.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:31 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

here is the thing, because it sounds different and it is going to be a bit louder, you will tend to romp on it which will in turn cause your gas mileage to go down
Old 07-09-2014, 11:37 AM
350zmonster

here is the thing, because it sounds different and it is going to be a bit louder, you will tend to romp on it which will in turn cause your gas mileage to go down
That's true...That happened to my uncles car when he did a cold air intake.. he said his gas mileage got worst. and obviously he said that it was no big deal from the intake. Though I still wonder what else did he do to it to actually potentially lower his gas mileage.

Last edited by 350zmonster; 07-09-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:13 PM
DarkCreep

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Install test pipes.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:07 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Driver mod is best bang for your buck
Old 07-13-2014, 02:02 AM
jtbinvalrico

At the risk of sounding boring, consider getting your car back to a baseline "stock" status before getting on to the fun stuff. What's the history of this car? If you know for certain that everything's been kept to spec over the years, then by all means, forge ahead with mods.

If the history is unknown or questionable, consider spending some time on the basics, bearing in mind that there'll be plenty of time to upgrade these things later:

1) Spark plugs. Treat your car to some proper spec, properly installed spark plugs.

2) Fluids. When I got my hands on my Z, I learned that the hack mechanics had used pretty much whatever was on the shelf. The rear diff for example.....it needs a certain type of fluid. Those clowns didn't understand this.

3) Overall health of the car. Torque specs......all the crap that folks stop bothering with over time. Get yourself a scanner so you can check and read any codes.

At least once a week someone posts up in here about the Z they got, what they added, and how it runs like *** since adding whatever it was. A lot of that can be remedied by squaring your car away, getting everything to where the Nissan engineers had it, and tweaking from there - as opposed to starting your mods where bubba left off.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:53 AM
TEF

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

JTB provides great advice. First take care of routine maintenance issues and learn your way around the car. As for mods, new wheels (provided they don't require one to modify the body) are fine. However, keep in mind that all cars are engineered in certain ways to provide the best compromise of power and economy. For example, if the Z engine could reliably handle, say a turbo, then Nissan would have offered one as a high-cost option. Vehicle manufacturers are in business to make money, but they're not going to offer over-tuned engines that must be routinely replaced under warranty as they'd lose money and reputation. Therefore, much of the speed equipment, while it might claim to improve power, handling or appearance, has downsides too. Sure there are suspension mods that will improve cornering, but does one want to make a hard-riding Z even more uncomfortable? And some mods, aside from costing money, are little more than affectations. Do louder exhausts really add that much more power? They will, however, attract cops?

Last of all, unless this car is dedicated to track use only, you'll eventually want to trade it for something else (just like the car you owned before this one). Most buyers (and I am one of them), run from modded cars, because it's (rightly) assumed that these cars have been beat. Moreover, if one does find a buyer, that person is not going to pay above blue book, so your expensive mods are literally given away in a sale.

When I was younger, I too felt that modding a car was a priority, but eventually one outgrows the urge and recognizes that most aftermarket speed stuff is overpriced and adds little to a car. If your car is intended to be a daily driver, leave it alone. Bank that money for your next car that comes from the factory with more power, better handling or whatever.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:23 PM
350Z Project X

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zmonster
This is quite helpful. I was just looking at some videos about the plenum spacer and changing spark plugs...im thinking of doing these two for now as a starter. Having the engine breath better I think is a good idea. More throttle response and makes the car work less to go. I know for sure engine oil shouldn't be an issue I always put full synethic oil in my car. but your right about other fluids that I could make it better. 1 question though what do you mean by (change trans) because I do know that means transmission. What would you change in the transmission??.
Step 1: learn car lingo via searches. yes it takes a lot of reading and cutting through the BS.

Step 2: become mechanically inclined. It just makes life easier

Step 3: After reading A LOT find out who people posting really know what they are talking about. The Z came out in 2003 so you have 11 years worth of research to read up on. Jason Z-Ya has a lot of DIY and is helpful. Swapped my first clutch by myself with his DIY. 40K later still holding strong.

FYI: Suspension will help with getting the power to the ground so start with that . USE THE DIY SECTION IT IS VERY USEFUL FOR LEARNING. THEY ALL HAVE PICTURES WITH THEIR DIY'S… mind blown

P.S. bolt ons should be tuned after installing, stock is designed to save gas not burn it

Last edited by 350Z Project X; 07-16-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:22 AM
350zmonster

Originally Posted by jtbinvalrico
At the risk of sounding boring, consider getting your car back to a baseline "stock" status before getting on to the fun stuff. What's the history of this car? If you know for certain that everything's been kept to spec over the years, then by all means, forge ahead with mods.

If the history is unknown or questionable, consider spending some time on the basics, bearing in mind that there'll be plenty of time to upgrade these things later:

1) Spark plugs. Treat your car to some proper spec, properly installed spark plugs.

2) Fluids. When I got my hands on my Z, I learned that the hack mechanics had used pretty much whatever was on the shelf. The rear diff for example.....it needs a certain type of fluid. Those clowns didn't understand this.

3) Overall health of the car. Torque specs......all the crap that folks stop bothering with over time. Get yourself a scanner so you can check and read any codes.

At least once a week someone posts up in here about the Z they got, what they added, and how it runs like *** since adding whatever it was. A lot of that can be remedied by squaring your car away, getting everything to where the Nissan engineers had it, and tweaking from there - as opposed to starting your mods where bubba left off.
-Not at all this isn't boring its very informative. Thanks a lot. Ill keep this in mind.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:28 AM
350zmonster

Originally Posted by TEF
JTB provides great advice. First take care of routine maintenance issues and learn your way around the car. As for mods, new wheels (provided they don't require one to modify the body) are fine. However, keep in mind that all cars are engineered in certain ways to provide the best compromise of power and economy. For example, if the Z engine could reliably handle, say a turbo, then Nissan would have offered one as a high-cost option. Vehicle manufacturers are in business to make money, but they're not going to offer over-tuned engines that must be routinely replaced under warranty as they'd lose money and reputation. Therefore, much of the speed equipment, while it might claim to improve power, handling or appearance, has downsides too. Sure there are suspension mods that will improve cornering, but does one want to make a hard-riding Z even more uncomfortable? And some mods, aside from costing money, are little more than affectations. Do louder exhausts really add that much more power? They will, however, attract cops?

Last of all, unless this car is dedicated to track use only, you'll eventually want to trade it for something else (just like the car you owned before this one). Most buyers (and I am one of them), run from modded cars, because it's (rightly) assumed that these cars have been beat. Moreover, if one does find a buyer, that person is not going to pay above blue book, so your expensive mods are literally given away in a sale.

When I was younger, I too felt that modding a car was a priority, but eventually one outgrows the urge and recognizes that most aftermarket speed stuff is overpriced and adds little to a car. If your car is intended to be a daily driver, leave it alone. Bank that money for your next car that comes from the factory with more power, better handling or whatever.
This is quite true.. This is also great advice. Thank you.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:30 AM
350zmonster

Originally Posted by 350Z Project X
Step 1: learn car lingo via searches. yes it takes a lot of reading and cutting through the BS.

Step 2: become mechanically inclined. It just makes life easier

Step 3: After reading A LOT find out who people posting really know what they are talking about. The Z came out in 2003 so you have 11 years worth of research to read up on. Jason Z-Ya has a lot of DIY and is helpful. Swapped my first clutch by myself with his DIY. 40K later still holding strong.

FYI: Suspension will help with getting the power to the ground so start with that . USE THE DIY SECTION IT IS VERY USEFUL FOR LEARNING. THEY ALL HAVE PICTURES WITH THEIR DIY'S… mind blown

P.S. bolt ons should be tuned after installing, stock is designed to save gas not burn it
I gotcha. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:56 AM
whysoserious79

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and unless you get the ECU raflashed all the mods wil have no effect besides louder exhaust or intake sound by using a cone filter.

The engine management will reduce all mods back to the stock value.
So do some mods and get a reflash done
Old 07-19-2014, 10:00 AM
350Z Project X

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by whysoserious79
and unless you get the ECU raflashed all the mods wil have no effect besides louder exhaust or intake sound by using a cone filter.

The engine management will reduce all mods back to the stock value.
So do some mods and get a reflash done
+1
Most common tunes are osiris and up rev I believe. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh one more thing I forgot to say 350zmonster, DO NOT and I say DO NOT post another thread asking what did you guys do for this or for that. Its pretty much all in the DIY section. Just remember you get what you pay for
Old 07-19-2014, 01:03 PM
MonkeyMagic72

First, try to stop feeding your fat girl friend, and if it doesn't work, dump her for the skinny one.

Last edited by MonkeyMagic72; 07-19-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:37 PM
travlee
Master

^ maybe he is a plumper humper and likes sticking it in the rolls of her back fat....

just saying
Old 07-19-2014, 02:31 PM
MonkeyMagic72

^ maybe he is a plumper humper and likes sticking it in the rolls of her back fat....

just saying
Them pancakes are better than them rolls. If that make any cents?

Old 07-19-2014, 02:44 PM
travlee
Master

them are some pancakes i would go face first into.....mmmmmm
Old 07-20-2014, 06:04 AM
350zmonster

Originally Posted by 350Z Project X
+1
Most common tunes are osiris and up rev I believe. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh one more thing I forgot to say 350zmonster, DO NOT and I say DO NOT post another thread asking what did you guys do for this or for that. Its pretty much all in the DIY section. Just remember you get what you pay for
Yeah I just recently noticed that. Ive been looking into this site. Since I'm new to this forum thing I didn't know how this 350z forum worked out at first but now I know what things I could post and what I shouldn't post.