Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Oil filter problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Junkster

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dcains
Yeah, but I'm not sure I'd want to use an old gasket which has gotten hard and may be prone to leaking. Maybe buy a cheap filter, just to throw away and use its gasket, or find a source fr just the proper square-cut o-ring you need.
If you change your oil regularly the gasket should be perfectly fine.

Like i said i've used my old ones several times and only swapped them out after more than a few regular oil changes and i never had one issue. As soon as you pull out the gasket you can visually inspect it to make sure, its pretty obvious if you should use it or not......They dont need to be replaced nearly as often as the filter, once you pull it out you will see what i mean.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Alfred_Buchi

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Got it. I can give it a shot!
Old 07-10-2014, 10:21 AM
blufc3s

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=Alfred_Buchi;10422521]^^ Wow really? I'll give that a glance tomorrow.

If that's the answer I owe you blu. Saving my *** here I'm trying not to get frustrated but it's been a pretty annoying issue, even if minor.

Looks like I would want to pick up #4 off this diagram right? Or is the gasket you are referring to something that corresponds to my specific sandwich plate?

#4 is the O ring I was referring to. In my case the (connector bolt) #2 had loosened. You can have the filter tight against the plate, but that bolt can still be loose against the block. The part number for my 03 350Z is 21304-JA11A, but yours may be different.
Good luck
Old 07-10-2014, 10:22 AM
blufc3s

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=blufc3s;10422666]
Originally Posted by Alfred_Buchi
^^ Wow really? I'll give that a glance tomorrow.

If that's the answer I owe you blu. Saving my *** here I'm trying not to get frustrated but it's been a pretty annoying issue, even if minor.

Looks like I would want to pick up #4 off this diagram right? Or is the gasket you are referring to something that corresponds to my specific sandwich plate?

#4 is the O ring I was referring to. In my case the (connector bolt) #2 had loosened. You can have the filter tight against the plate, but that bolt can still be loose against the block. The O ring part number for my 03 350Z is 21304-JA11A, but yours may be different.
Good luck
Old 07-10-2014, 02:11 PM
StuLax18
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,339 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Yeah I was going to say there's that o-ring that can leak. To be honest, you don't need to have the exact oil filter as recommended. I have ran the 108 like most VQ35's run, currently run the 110 for VK45, and even ran whatever the bigger filter for the VK56 was. Only difference between these is how tall they are.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:34 AM
fklentz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something to check, the threaded "Barrel' that the filter threads onto, check to make sure it has not started to thread out of the adapter. Your filter may be bottoming out before the gasket seals on the flange. Over tightening is the biggest cause of filter leaks.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:40 PM
Alfred_Buchi

Originally Posted by StuLax18
Yeah I was going to say there's that o-ring that can leak. To be honest, you don't need to have the exact oil filter as recommended. I have ran the 108 like most VQ35's run, currently run the 110 for VK45, and even ran whatever the bigger filter for the VK56 was. Only difference between these is how tall they are.
Yeah but in my case with the stillen sandwich plate on there I'm not quite dealing with the same filters as everyone else seems to be.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:41 PM
Alfred_Buchi

Originally Posted by fklentz
Something to check, the threaded "Barrel' that the filter threads onto, check to make sure it has not started to thread out of the adapter. Your filter may be bottoming out before the gasket seals on the flange. Over tightening is the biggest cause of filter leaks.
I will check that as well.

I know I'm over tightening the filter, it's the only way I am able to reduce the leakage... Which kind of makes me think the sandwich plate may be warped but that seems odd...

I'll report back with what I find out tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Alfred_Buchi

Just an update - sandwich plate surface seemed perfectly level. Thanks again for the ruler flashlight idea.

I tried a purolator filter that matched the m-107 in the book and the leak appears to have been cured. Day 4 now of no drips on my garage floor.

If I can use a cheaper filter that I've always thought was a great brand I will be very happy.

I'll report back after the weekend when I can put it up in the air again and look closer.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:29 PM
561350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am having this same problem i replaced both gaskets the one on the sandwich plate and the one on the stock spindle plate still leaks i have tryed multiple filters still no sign of it being fixed i am guessing the m107 fixed your problem? my z is an 06 anybody have any ideas if this will fix my problem practically the same car from 06 to 07 a response back would very helpful thank you!