Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Transmission noise at idle / low rpms

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 03:57 PM
estomax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission noise at idle / low rpms

Hi Guys,

I am a bit of an oddball, as i have a Lexus SC400 with a 1JZ and a CD009 Nissan 350Z transmission.

My dilemma ever since i got the car running (and i have put about 100 miles on it so far) is that at idle and low rpms, there is a rattle noise coming from the transmission. it is the loudest at about 1500 rpm and then fades away to where above 2000 rpm it is not really there. i can hear it quite well over the stock exhaust that is currently on the car.

I also have a problem that is probably related where the clutch pedal is very sticky/chunky to move and sometimes gets stuck to the floor, especially at lower engine speeds (driving around town). With the engine off the clutch is perfectly smooth, and i have looked in the clutch fork hole to see the throwout bearing engage/disengage and nothing seems terribly wrong.

I am hoping someone here has run into a similar problem from their transmission and has an idea for me... at this point i am fairly certain i have to pull it back off.

cheers for ideas.
Marko

vid of clutch being depressed:

noise at low rpm / high throttle, in the video u can really only hear it when I throttle up at low rpms, too much ambient noise.

higher rpm pull, no problems there

PS, note the GPS speedometer, it lags behind a bit, kinda neat but Toyota rear diffs dont have a speed signal.

Last edited by estomax; 07-22-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:50 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn man is the oil light and check engine light on??
Old 07-22-2014, 05:42 PM
estomax

the car is a frankenstein dont mind those, just the low oil light (no sensor on this motor, yet) and CEL is on for traction control that i ripped out. fixed the water temperature sender too, loose connector.

the trans has redline mt-90 oil in it and the clutch/pp are sr20 / 3sgte with a custom flywheel. The adapter kit is through Collins. One piece aluminum driveshaft in the back.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:30 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What year Z is the engine/transmission from? Does it have the concentric slave cylinder inside the bell housing? That's a known problem area, and the first indication is a pedal that stays on the floor.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:53 AM
estomax

it is not from a 370Z, the slave is on the outside and there is a clutch fork going into the bellhousing to move the throwout bearing. with the car off the whole system seems to move back and forth like butter, but when the car is on then it is sticky, i almost have a feeling something isn't lining up right but i don't see anything shaking when i look inside the clutch fork hole. the reason i am posting here is because maybe there is some rare or common problem with the rest of the transmission and since i bought it used maybe its a bum trans.

if anyone wants to see the pics you can here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...&usp=drive_web
Old 07-26-2014, 08:55 PM
estomax

bump hope someone here has run into this or knows someone who has had strange transmission noises like this
Old 07-27-2014, 09:34 AM
OneWicked350

Mine was making a similar (not as loud tho) noise when the clutch was not depressed like that. and when I would push it it would stop. throw-out bearing was bad. looked fine on the outside but on the inside it was all worn out. Its a cheap part but a lot-ish of work. That'd be my first guess... after that it could be more of a problem that comes from the frankenstien-ness of your setup lol, misalignment of the adapter plates somewhere, or a clearance issue.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:55 AM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

The first video seems like your slave cylinder is toast, and your slippers are toast also. As for the noise, I've never heard a throw out bearing make so much noise but that's not to say that that could be the problem. You've created a new definition of HYBRID all on your own.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:50 PM
estomax

i took a new video trying to shoot through the clutch fork hole.. there is definately a vibration on the pressure plate glimmering in the flashlight and also can feel it through the clutch fork which goes away when i press in the clutch.

somethings not aligned right. dangit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhSf...ature=youtu.be