Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

White smoke after WOT, blown headgasket?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 12:48 PM
damonchoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White smoke after WOT, blown headgasket?

Hi guys,

I haven't had the time to make an intro thread yet and it sucks that this has to be it! My first car was an E36, which I then sold for an E46, and about two months ago I purchased my Z.

Here are a couple pictures I took:

Name:  IMG_1669NOTCROP_zps9baf0275.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  80.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1647EDIT_zpse01b658a.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  73.4 KB

I love it so far and I was really enjoying how reliable it was compared to my BMWs until now.

I recently did an oil change with Mobil 1 Synthetic (I don't know what was previously used) and after that I've noticed white smoke comes out of my exhaust. I don't know if it's related to the oil change or not but I figured it was worth mentioning. I do not know if it started smoking immediately after the change or not as I only noticed it relatively recently (1000km after the change or so).

Anyway, it only smokes after letting off of the throttle at high rpm (after I let off of a WOT pull of let off after revving high in neutral). It smokes for maybe 2-4 seconds after I let off then it dissipates into the air and doesn't smoke again unless I rev it again.

The smoke doesn't smell like burning coolant at all (after owning two BMWs I'm very familiar will the smell of burning coolant ). It just smells like how a catless exhaust would normally smell... like catless exhaust. With that being said, maybe because I am running catless it could overpower the smell of burning coolant.

The car does not overheat at all even after aggressive lapping last weekend at the track. Coolant level is a bit low but if I'm not mistaken it was already like that before. Would filling it a bit more and monitoring the level be a good idea?

Here's a video of a flyby where I now noticed that you can see the smoke.

Anyway, I'm just looking for suggestions as to what you think I should do to further attempt to diagnose the problem. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thank you!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:59 PM
Bellisima_Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year is it? The 06 is notorious for burning oil, that would be my guess.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:00 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn. How many miles are on it?
Old 07-24-2014, 04:32 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

If he's burning oil, would not the exhaust have a bluish color and not be white as the OP reports?

Originally Posted by Bellisima_Z
Old 07-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

White colored exhaust is often a symptom of a leaking head gasket or worse, a warped head.

If that is the case though, you should be overheating and see a loss of coolant. I’m not sure that is happening with your car.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:21 PM
Bellisima_Z

Originally Posted by Spike100
If he's burning oil, would not the exhaust have a bluish color and not be white as the OP reports?
Not necessarily, my first 06 burned oil like crazy and the exhaust tips were just caked in black residue, it blew smoke every time I laid into it.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:39 PM
lolsupfoo

Are you running non resonated cats? When I had my car it would throw white smoke due to test pipes
Old 07-24-2014, 09:11 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by lolsupfoo
it would throw white smoke due to test pipes
This is incorrect - Test pipes will not cause white exhaust - white smoke is indicative of moisture and/or coolant in the combustion ... how it got there is what you should be concerned with. Test Pipes, High Flow Cats, OEM cats, you should not have white smoke in your exhaust.

First, use your current tank of gas and get a fresh tank of gas to make sure you didnt get a bad tank. If the white exhaust persist than look into a leak-down test.

Last edited by bealljk; 07-24-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:17 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't know about the smoke, if it is a rev-up engine then they are notorious for burning oil. It really does sound nice though.
What exhaust are you running?

Last edited by samsniss350z; 07-24-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:49 AM
superstuddc27

Every car I've seen with test pipes will throw crazy smoke every once in a while. I drove behind one on a canyon run and couldn't breathe. People dont know the negative effects of a TP until you gotta drive behind one for more than 15 mins. lol
Old 07-25-2014, 02:37 AM
bleclair00

As stated above by another member do a leakdown test. Previous owner may have had a thicker grade oil in there for a reason.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:42 AM
bleclair00

As stated above by another member do a leakdown test. Previous owner may have had a thicker grade oil in there for a reason.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:51 AM
Ronin82

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

White colored exhaust is often a symptom of a leaking head gasket or worse, a warped head.

If that is the case though, you should be overheating and see a loss of coolant. I’m not sure that is happening with your car.
its usually hard to distinguish from the blue/white smoke.
it could be a combination of things, either way,... it might be time for a rebuild. I would def do a leakdown.

at least thats what I'm going thru right now with my rebuild

Last edited by Ronin82; 07-25-2014 at 04:53 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:07 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

1. Check coolant level
2. Check oil level
3. Check engine temps while driving

If these 3 are good, then it could just be because you are running catless, as others have mentioned.

Just another note, the only oil I ever had an issue with on all of my cars was Mobil 1 synthetic. I tried it in my supercharged Civic and was low on oil after about 2k miles. Switched to AMSOIL and never had a problem after that. Ran AMSOIL for another year or so until I traded it in for my Z. Because of that experience I always tell people not to use Mobil 1. I think it is overpriced garbage.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:55 AM
StuLax18
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,339 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Originally Posted by superstuddc27
Every car I've seen with test pipes will throw crazy smoke every once in a while. I drove behind one on a canyon run and couldn't breathe. People dont know the negative effects of a TP until you gotta drive behind one for more than 15 mins. lol
Usually it's black though.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:39 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have head gasket checked just to see if seal leak. If not continuous then possible solution found if checked by an expert (mech). If engine going bad bad then would be continuous. LI'be had that one too with a Chevy Impala. If continuous would be serious problem. Not radiator, I also had a 750i and just hated the problem of overheating. When dealer said it was okay after several (multiple trips), I got rid of it. And got my Z. I think it might be the head gasket and if taken care of quickly that will do it. If not then the engine will be the next problem. Haven't done mechanic work in a long time, but did years ago when the mopar years were big. (My hey days were the Holly four barrels, doug thorley headers, crame cams, etc.)

Last edited by WSchli1672; 07-25-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:47 AM
OneWicked350

My 06 burned oil and it was only slightly bluish, from that distance its hard to tell, but it could also be coolant. I had a turbo oil seal go bad on an SR and it billowed white smoke so sometimes its hard to tell. I would definitely just try and monitor your fluid levels for awhile.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:34 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by OneWicked350
I had a turbo oil seal go bad on an SR and it billowed white smoke so sometimes its hard to tell. I would definitely just try and monitor your fluid levels for awhile.
Was the turbo water cooled?

I don't know if I can say this enough, but oil burns blue/black, coolant/water burns white. White exhaust is NOT oil.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:13 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

And one more Red Herring for OP-
Did you add SeaFoam to anything during service? Gas, oil, intake...
Old 08-02-2014, 09:24 PM
damonchoy

Sorry I disappeared off the face of planet there, everyone!

2003. DE.

Originally Posted by oldschool350z
Damn. How many miles are on it?
Bought it at 113,000km. I now have 121,000km. That's around 75,000 miles.

That is correct. White = coolant/water. Blue = oil. Black = fuel. Right?

No overheating at all. I've been monitoring engine temps like a hawk. No further coolant loss since I last checked, but when I DID check it was a bit low. I haven't added any since.

Not necessarily, my first 06 burned oil like crazy and the exhaust tips were just caked in black residue, it blew smoke every time I laid into it.
Originally Posted by lolsupfoo
Are you running non resonated cats? When I had my car it would throw white smoke due to test pipes
I am running catless, yes. Tomei test pipes.

Originally Posted by bealljk
This is incorrect - Test pipes will not cause white exhaust - white smoke is indicative of moisture and/or coolant in the combustion ... how it got there is what you should be concerned with. Test Pipes, High Flow Cats, OEM cats, you should not have white smoke in your exhaust.

First, use your current tank of gas and get a fresh tank of gas to make sure you didnt get a bad tank. If the white exhaust persist than look into a leak-down test.
Definitely wasn't the tank. It is still persisting.

Originally Posted by samsniss350z
I don't know about the smoke, if it is a rev-up engine then they are notorious for burning oil. It really does sound nice though.
What exhaust are you running?
Not a rev-up engine, no.

Impul headers, Tomei test pipes, muffler delete. Love the sound!

Originally Posted by Ronin82
its usually hard to distinguish from the blue/white smoke.
it could be a combination of things, either way,... it might be time for a rebuild. I would def do a leakdown.

at least thats what I'm going thru right now with my rebuild
It is rather difficult. I swear every time I've seen it, it looks white however some others who have seen it claim it looks a little bit blue to them.

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
1. Check coolant level
2. Check oil level
3. Check engine temps while driving

If these 3 are good, then it could just be because you are running catless, as others have mentioned.

Just another note, the only oil I ever had an issue with on all of my cars was Mobil 1 synthetic. I tried it in my supercharged Civic and was low on oil after about 2k miles. Switched to AMSOIL and never had a problem after that. Ran AMSOIL for another year or so until I traded it in for my Z. Because of that experience I always tell people not to use Mobil 1. I think it is overpriced garbage.
1. Coolant level is quite low, but hasn't changed since I last checked it.
2. Oil level is honestly impossible to tell. Any tips on getting an accurate read with the 350Z's dipstick?
3. Engine temps are right where they should be while driving.

It's something new that I've noticed, though, so it's definitely not just because I'm running catless.

I'm thinking next time I'll try Motul instead of Mobil 1.

Originally Posted by jhc
And one more Red Herring for OP-
Did you add SeaFoam to anything during service? Gas, oil, intake...
No. No additives at all.

Originally Posted by bleclair00
Would everyone agree that a leakdown test would be my next step? Perhaps also a compression test?

Quick Reply: White smoke after WOT, blown headgasket?