Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Question on car inspection PA! *First Post*

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 07:38 PM
MagPulMyMag

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question on car inspection PA! *First Post*

Ok, guys so this being my first post and being new to any type of forum in general try not to flame me too hard.

So I have a few questions on how a inspection in PA is conducted in regards to the catalytic converters, so this might be a rather strange first so i will explain. I plan to purchase some longtube headers for a STREET car i am already aware they are illegal blah blah. I need a plan on how to beat the inspection garage because these will delete my cats. So after some research I am trying to figure if they just do a visual inspection and the obvious OBD2 scan to see the emissions of the vehicle, is there some sort of equipment they hook up to exhaust to see if the cat is functioning or do i just need to be able to beat the visual inspection and OBD2 scan?
Old 09-01-2014, 07:44 PM
CJM

Received 88 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by MagPulMyMag
Ok, guys so this being my first post and being new to any type of forum in general try not to flame me too hard.

So I have a few questions on how a inspection in PA is conducted in regards to the catalytic converters, so this might be a rather strange first so i will explain. I plan to purchase some longtube headers for a STREET car i am already aware they are illegal blah blah. I need a plan on how to beat the inspection garage because these will delete my cats. So after some research I am trying to figure if they just do a visual inspection and the obvious OBD2 scan to see the emissions of the vehicle, is there some sort of equipment they hook up to exhaust to see if the cat is functioning or do i just need to be able to beat the visual inspection and OBD2 scan?
PA doesn't use an exhaust sniffer as far as I am aware (not in my county at least). It is visual and OBDII only (mainly OBDII, especially if you know the guy)
Old 09-01-2014, 08:24 PM
MagPulMyMag

Originally Posted by CJM
PA doesn't use an exhaust sniffer as far as I am aware (not in my county at least). It is visual and OBDII only (mainly OBDII, especially if you know the guy)
Thank you for the timely reply CJM, I suspected this to be the case, the exhaust sniffer must be some CA crap, now I just need to find a shop that will look the other way.

I have however gone into some pretty elaborate details about buying fake cat housings or gutting out my current cats and then welding them around the longtubes to make them look the part as well getting some bungs for the O2 sensors welded on as I am not 100% sure if longtubes come with bungs or not lol.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:09 AM
craig12895

Received 160 Likes on 129 Posts

It is going to be very difficult to get passed inspection if you don't have dummy cats on (meaning that you make it look like you have cats). Unless you know the person doing the inspection, you will fail every time with long tube headers.
But as far as exhaust sniffers, PA does not use them so as long as it looks like you have cats and your O2 sensors don't pick it up then you are fine
Old 09-02-2014, 05:30 AM
frocker93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple things you could do. 1. Go to a shady $20 inspection station, they aren't going to care. 2. Make a "skid plate" right where the cats are so you can't see underneath it. 3. Take the heat shields off the cats and tack them onto the longtubes.

PA inspections are a joke compared to Maryland and sometimes Virginia. Inspection stations in Maryland are run by the state and they rarely do visual inspections anymore. Every car I've bought in PA has needed a bunch of work to pass in Maryland even though they just got inspected and passed with flying colors in PA. Any shop can also be an inspection station in PA. It is VERY easy to find one that will pass anything.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:59 AM
MagPulMyMag

Originally Posted by frocker93
Couple things you could do. 1. Go to a shady $20 inspection station, they aren't going to care. 2. Make a "skid plate" right where the cats are so you can't see underneath it. 3. Take the heat shields off the cats and tack them onto the longtubes.

PA inspections are a joke compared to Maryland and sometimes Virginia. Inspection stations in Maryland are run by the state and they rarely do visual inspections anymore. Every car I've bought in PA has needed a bunch of work to pass in Maryland even though they just got inspected and passed with flying colors in PA. Any shop can also be an inspection station in PA. It is VERY easy to find one that will pass anything.
Wow, the skid plate idea is pretty good as long as they don't try to remove it. I think the easiest option will be finding an inspection garage that flat out doesn't care, which would surprise me because they can lose their license because of this. The dummy cat idea sounds like a pretty full proof plan so i will try that if i can't pass, the OEM heat shields are pretty thin an flimsy i think i'd bend them to hell trying to pry them off the cat.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:57 AM
frocker93

For the heat shield idea just cut them open on the sides with a dremel and then tack weld them back together.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:58 AM
JERZ350

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you haven't already, I would seriously weigh out the benefits over just going with street legal high flow cats paired with headers. If it's worth the future headaches of scrambling for inspection every few years....maybe I'm just getting old.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:22 AM
Philly_G35

You need to check your county in regards to the emissions test. Philadelphia County does check emissions and I have heard other counties (Allegheny County) does also.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Unicus

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If you're willing to drive to Mechanicsburg, I can remove this as a problem for you. PM me if that's the case.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:12 PM
MagPulMyMag

Originally Posted by JERZ350
If you haven't already, I would seriously weigh out the benefits over just going with street legal high flow cats paired with headers. If it's worth the future headaches of scrambling for inspection every few years....maybe I'm just getting old.
I have weighed the benefits, if this works i will never need to scramble for inspection again anyways. I elminate more possibiltes for leaks with longtubes because i am deleting the upper cat to header flanges and the sound is just incredible.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:13 PM
MagPulMyMag

Originally Posted by Unicus
If you're willing to drive to Mechanicsburg, I can remove this as a problem for you. PM me if that's the case.
Will do.