Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Getting ready for winter- looking for weight in the trunk

Old 09-03-2014, 07:57 PM
AARONHL

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Getting ready for winter- looking for weight in the trunk

What do you guys put in your trunk to weigh down the back of the car? Had my g35 for about 6 years, each winter will all season tires. I try to work from home as much as I can when it snows and if I'm not working stay in the house during snow storms. I find even 2-3 inches of snow gives a lot of problems in the small hills of CT

So what do you guys put in the trunk to weigh it down?
Old 09-03-2014, 08:23 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Originally Posted by AARONHL
What do you guys put in your trunk to weigh down the back of the car? Had my g35 for about 6 years, each winter will all season tires. I try to work from home as much as I can when it snows and if I'm not working stay in the house during snow storms. I find even 2-3 inches of snow gives a lot of problems in the small hills of CT

So what do you guys put in the trunk to weigh it down?
We get ice down here...
1 50# kitty litter
2 What ever weights you hit in the garage/basement.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:56 PM
Bellisima_Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't drive it in the winter if there is snow or ice at all, but I would think that several sandbags should help weigh it down some. Traction will still be very minimal though.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:05 PM
Emski

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Why not get proper winter tires instead of wearing no season tires?
Old 09-03-2014, 09:34 PM
AARONHL

Any of those bags ever break? They seem safer than a solid piece of metal or even a cinder block

I think weight in combination with winter tires would be the best setup but I don't know if I am sold on snow tires working THAT much better than all seasons...never justified the price...I'd really want a second set of wheels so I didn't have to remount tires. The work involved seems to much. Staying home is easiest, but sometimes I almost get stranded

Last year I was working had to drive 25 miles home on highway that were barely plowed, just compacted 4" snow, finally get to my street fresh snow about 5" and couldn't get up the hill by my house after several attempts...called my dad and he towed me 1/8 mile home
Old 09-04-2014, 12:00 AM
Thai-Lights

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wat...... you drive your z in the winter?
Old 09-04-2014, 04:44 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

A good set of winter tires will really help you get around in the snow. I wouldn't recommend adding any weight to the back. That will simply unbalance the car and make handling dicey. It would be best to get a second set of wheels so you can easily switch from winter to summer tires and vice versa.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:22 AM
JERZ350

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for winter tires. Heavy weights may bounce, roll around in the back and destroy your interior. If anything go for sand bags then.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:39 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

I think weight in combination with winter tires would be the best setup but I don't know if I am sold on snow tires working THAT much better than all seasons...never justified the price...I'd really want a second set of wheels so I didn't have to remount tires. The work involved seems to much.
From personal experience, snow tires make a HUGE difference.

All-seasons are garbage. They are "ok" in all conditions. I prefer having dedicated summer tires and dedicated winter tires. Got my winter set a few years back from another member, 04 touring wheels in decent condition with snow tires already mounted for a great price. Probably one of the smartest purchases I made for my Z.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:21 AM
craig12895

Received 160 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ

All-seasons are garbage. They are "ok" in all conditions. I prefer having dedicated summer tires and dedicated winter tires. Got my winter set a few years back from another member, 04 touring wheels in decent condition with snow tires already mounted for a great price. Probably one of the smartest purchases I made for my Z.
OP this is the answer here. A set of winter wheels with tires will solve your issues. I daily drive my Z as its the only car I have. And no matter what snow/ice will always be traction less but tires are going to make the biggest difference.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:31 AM
AARONHL

Ite thanks for the info guys, I think I will look into snow tires!! Maybe grab a used set of wheels and snow tires on here
Old 09-04-2014, 08:21 AM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Your best bet as previously mentioned is to get a set of cold weather tires, they are fantastic, well worth the money. Failing that, make sure you have a full tank gas and let a few PSI out of your tires to increase its footprint, plus a bag of sand in the trunk. Don't put too much in the trunk though or you'll leave front end a bit skittish.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:28 PM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

I ran w409 i-pike's in my old 88 zx300 and I could get up a steep hill until the snow hit the frame. They are priced reasonably and the only snow tire I will buy
Old 09-05-2014, 01:40 AM
PlainWhite350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to beat the suggestion to death, but you won't regret buying snow tires if you drive your Z in the winter. Where I live, the issue isn't as much deep snow and unplowed roads, but rather packed down snow and ice. I went with Michelin x-ice tires and they work wonderfully for me. Got a set of cheap 17x8 wheels w/ the package so the seasonal change is as easy as 20 lugs. If you decide to buy new, message Neal@Tirerack on here and he'll set you up with a whole package.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:01 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Michelin X-ice 215/50R17 all 4 corners. Gets through almost anything. Of course driving experience in the snow and understanding of momentum on the hills is worth just as much as the tires. If you go with something narrow on 17's check for clearance on the brakes but it SHOULD be OK with stock brakes. Re-check if you have Brembo or aftermarket.
The wheels look silly in the wheel wells but the Z looks even stupider stuck on a flat spot in the middle of the road or spinning off into a ditch. Good luck!
Michelins are in the top 5 for snow performance in the world as of the last few years. Always check tire reviews if in doubt because there are a wide variety of quality in snow tires and every once in awhile the top rated ones change. They are priced ok too. Nokian Hakkapellitas are supposed to be the king but at nearly twice the cost. I could never justify them. Michelin or Bridgestone Blizzaks are always at the top of the list.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:22 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

I have Dunlop Winter Sport M3 on my 04 18" touring wheels. Only issue is with the stock size wheels you are limited on the amount of winter tires you can buy. I definitely need new rears but with this being my last winter (moving the Florida) I am going to make them work. I love my Dunlops. They are super quiet compared to other winter tires I have experienced, and the wear is not bad.

Only main thing about winter tires is you need to drive the car differently. At least with my experience, my G-Forces I really can feel my car well. I can easily catch the back end coming out. My first winter with the Dunlops I guess I pushed a little too hard around a turn in the dry and lost it. I feel like if the back starts to come out with the winter tires, be prepared to spin around because once you lose grip around a turn, it is gone! Makes sense since they aren't performance tires, and lesson learned by me!
Old 09-05-2014, 07:46 AM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Winter? What's that.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:31 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

for weight in rear, become a mobster and have a dead body back there..... with it being cold it shouldnt start to smell
Old 09-05-2014, 08:47 AM
NismoDude

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ

Best answer.

Ite thanks for the info guys, I think I will look into snow tires!! Maybe grab a used set of wheels and snow tires on here

Don't waste your money on nice alloy wheels.

Just get the cheapest set of steel wheels, and you actually want NARROWER snow tires. Wider snow tires do NOT work as well.

Check out tirerack, I bet they have some cheap wheels and can recommend a good size, and get a package shipped to your house you can just jack up and bolt on for the worst 3-4 months of the year.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:09 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

People use sandbags, dumb bells or plates used for a bench press. You need to invest in some winter tires because all season tires won't cut it with these cars. But then again, this is not the type of car that should be driven in snow or ice period. Plus wouldn't putting weights in the rear of a car that's near 50/50 increase the likelihood of over-steering? No amount of VCD or traction control in the world will save you when the rear slips out on ice and the car starts twirling like a bloody squirrel's tail.

Last edited by Jah70; 09-05-2014 at 09:11 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting ready for winter- looking for weight in the trunk