Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speed-sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 04:08 PM
Shawns'Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speed-sound

I'm getting my 04 z tuned Monday, I was wondering if anyone here has dealt with speed-sound out of St louis. They're the only shop I could find that messes with uprev.i live in central il so that's about my options that I know of. And it's going to cost 500$ just for a street tune(Osiris included), no dyno time...does that sound about right price wise?
Old 09-11-2014, 05:39 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

yes and no, my dyno tune was $700
Old 09-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Shawns'Z

I asked what a tune on the dyno would run and he said 800-1000$. I guess they have some baseline street tune they can put on it but I have no idea how any or that works. I just have the k&n drop in air filter, motordyne 5\16 spacer, test pipes, y pipe, and muffler. Even just a few pulls to see where I'm at on the dyno was around 500$.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:03 PM
375rngrZ

be careful, its not nearly as serious on a n/a car. but none the less, if your dropping that much money id do some research online. a lot of people these days claim to know how to tune but in reality don't know their *** from a hole in the ground. the last thing you want to do is blow that much money on a worthless tune.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:33 PM
RUNWDVL

Received 236 Likes on 135 Posts

Hey, Shawn. You should ask Josh from central illinois Z club. He is the one with twin turbo. I think he said he got his tuned in Chicago.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:27 PM
Shawns'Z

Thanks for the advise RUNWDVL but unfortunately I live 4+ hours south of there, I have to drive an hr up to springfield for our shows we do now. It's about an hr to st louis, and I'm still kinda edgy about having it done there but it's about my only choice, I know it needs it because it's always ran a little goofy since I've put those mods on there. Hopefully someone will chime in.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:31 AM
RUNWDVL

Received 236 Likes on 135 Posts

This is the only one here. They do a lot of mustang. Don't know their talents.

http://www.fccustoms.com/products_services.php
Old 09-13-2014, 09:56 AM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Just do it yourself, it's really simple.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:14 AM
Shawns'Z

I would if I knew how :/ I've never had a car until this one capable of being tuned. And no one to show me how that lives around here.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:29 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I know this is farther for you to drive, but you might try ZHookup in Springfield, MO. They do some pretty good work.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:13 PM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawns'Z
I would if I knew how :/ I've never had a car until this one capable of being tuned. And no one to show me how that lives around here.
It is fairly simple. The program basically walks you through it.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:55 PM
RacingBlack350Z

I know its a little late, but if I could advise you I would say go to ET Tuning In Union MO. Thats where I went for tuning and the guys are awesome, I go down there at least once a month just to check out their projects. They charged me $770 for a custom tune with and without art pipes. I took off the cost of the first tune, because we didn't need it to be as precise as the one with the pipes. Everything was done in two hours and he charges $85 an hour. The other $600 was $300 for the revup software and $300 for the tune. I always ask them for advice and they are great guys.

EDIT: Also these guys are one of the only awd dyno tuners in the midwest and craven performance sends a lot of cars too them. Jon has a lot of experience tuning as well.

Last edited by RacingBlack350Z; 09-14-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:48 PM
Shawns'Z

Well the guy from speed-sound called me Sunday night and told me his tuner was sick so it never happend. I called the place in Springfield mo and they charged 600 for a dyno tune but it's 3.5 hours further than st louis. I'm not sure what I'm going to do just yet. I think I might save up a bit more and make the drive to springfield mo and get it dyno tuned instead of having it tuned on the street in st louis for 100 more.....not crazy about other people driving my car without me there.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:42 PM
Shawns'Z

Originally Posted by RacingBlack350Z
I know its a little late, but if I could advise you I would say go to ET Tuning In Union MO. Thats where I went for tuning and the guys are awesome, I go down there at least once a month just to check out their projects. They charged me $770 for a custom tune with and without art pipes. I took off the cost of the first tune, because we didn't need it to be as precise as the one with the pipes. Everything was done in two hours and he charges $85 an hour. The other $600 was $300 for the revup software and $300 for the tune. I always ask them for advice and they are great guys.

EDIT: Also these guys are one of the only awd dyno tuners in the midwest and craven performance sends a lot of cars too them. Jon has a lot of experience tuning as well.

How do you still feel about them? When I get my taxes back in a few weeks I'm making an appointment somewhere. I don't want to drive to springfield mo unless I have to, its 5 hours from me and, and I don't know if I wanna go to st louis I haven't heard very many good things about speed-sound.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:35 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawns'Z
Thanks for the advise RUNWDVL but unfortunately I live 4+ hours south of there, I have to drive an hr up to springfield for our shows we do now. It's about an hr to st louis, and I'm still kinda edgy about having it done there but it's about my only choice, I know it needs it because it's always ran a little goofy since I've put those mods on there. Hopefully someone will chime in.
When you say it runs "goofy", what do you mean? Running poorly? Erratically? Loss of power in power band you used to have power in? I'm betting that it's the latter.

With the mods you listed, it sounds like you've created something of an imbalance between intake and exhaust capacity. (A pretty common mod mistake). Particularly felt at the low end where most of one's driving is on the street.

BEFORE you take it in for a performance tune, I suggest you look at the basics and baseline it yourself before dropping a dime on something that will NOT be maximized with such a tune unless everything else is square first.

Suggest you read your plugs and adjust the temperature according to the reading. Also you might want to consider upward changes in ignition (performance coils and/or MSD) - oddly, something I never see listed in people's descriptions of their mods (usually "exhaust", "plenum spacers", etc. such as this thread's listed mods).

Next, suggest you think about increasing fuel intake as you sound like you might be over-scavenging without a commensurate increase in fuel. Possibly larger injectors (not large enough for FI but a slight increase in size to balance your changes on the exhaust side.)

Once you get those things squared, changes in ECM mapping, timing, etc. will benefit you, not before.

Too many times I hear of people's disappointments with the big dollar tune because the incremental change is not what was expected.

I've heard this one so many times from novice owners getting into modifying (of any car, not just our Z's) that I figured saying what I consider to be pretty basic stuff one more time was worthwhile.

Mic
Old 01-19-2015, 06:02 PM
Shawns'Z

Well its not misfiring or anything like that, I do have a feeling it's running lean because of the smell (and no, not unburned gas like a rich smell). As far as the power band goes yea I can tell I lost a little in the lower rpm's but it picks up around 4500-5000. And I have a cel light on from my tp's(confirmed), even tried all the tricks which worked for a while. I don't think I'll to much more to it concerning proformance mods anyway, except a lightweight clutch combo when mine starts going down the line, and maybe an underdrive pulley.