Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I part out my Z?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 08:26 PM
karossii

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I part out my Z?

I have an 05 Automatic 350z Touring, that is in good running condition. Between a poor credit rating when buying it, and a refinance deal gone wrong, I now owe almost double what it is worth. I can't keep making the payments on it, and so will probably be voluntarily surrendering it in the next week or two.

I do realize that by voluntarily surrendering it, it is a (tiny) step up from a repossession, and will hit my somewhat improved credit and drop it back down to what it was before or worse. I also realize that they will auction off the car, and I will still owe the company whatever the difference is between my financed amount and that auction amount.

I know I could not sell it for half of what I owe on it (okay, maybe a tiny bit over half, if I get lucky), and I can't make the current payments, and I can't refinance it again. So I am stuck on surrendering it or waiting for an actual repo.

But I am thinking, if I start stripping it down and essentially parting it out, I may get as much or more for it than they will make at an auction - money I can pay towards the debt. Having seen some of these auctions first hand, I know they get pennies on the dollar for the cars they sell like this... so stripping of some or most of the vehicle won't do a ton to lower the value it gores for at that kind of auction, I would guess.

The only things wrong with it are an alignment issue, and a small tear/ding on the strip beneath the driver's side door. I have 4 fairly new (less than a year old, less than 3k miles on them) tires. I have the factory bose radio system. And I have all the working parts.

Would it be worth my time and effort to strip anything and sell it? Maybe just the wheels and/or tires?

(On a side note, anyone know any professionals who would run this car over with a semi, or steal it and drive it off a cliff, while I still have full coverage insurance on it? If so, send me a message! I kid, I kid...)
Old 09-13-2014, 09:27 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

K-
Sorry to hear of this bad run of luck. What's your payoff to the finance co?
Milage?
Current damage?
Mods?
Send some pics, the boys might have some ideas.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:30 PM
375rngrZ

honestly without knowing what you owe or the mileage on the vehicle its impossible to say altho I would like to mention that parting out a car takes some serious time. a lot of it is random luck with someone just happening to need a part you have. on a side note if you have ky0 paintcode and you part out ill totally buy your passenger sideskirt lol
Old 09-13-2014, 09:34 PM
Koolsilver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems better to sell the car private party trying to get as much possible and put that towards the loan and just try to pay off the rest.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:09 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I doubt this car can be sold to anyone without bank involvement. The bank has the title and I'm sure they won't give it up without payment in full. Parting the car could also result in problems since the bank is still going to want their money in full and once the car is parted, their security is gone. They would probably demand payment in full once they find out. A bankruptcy filing might be the best solution.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:35 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

1. part the car out
2. sell the car private party
3. borrow the difference

if you give the car back and/or if it goes to auction you'll end up paying the difference which will be much more than the difference if you sell it private party. I would immediately put it on craigslist in Springs, Pueblo and Denver.

Last edited by bealljk; 09-14-2014 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:53 AM
SilverStone2003

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sell private party, take out a personal loan to pay the differenece. Unless you owe a ungodly amount. Kind of need to know what you owe in order to help you with what your asking.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:25 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I doubt this will be as simple as getting a personal loan. Remember, the original poster said he had poor credit. You need pretty good credit to get any size personal loan. The OP didn't say how much he owed, but I suspect it is more than $10,000.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:38 AM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sell me your rear bumper, driver door panel and right tail light.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:02 PM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

I would like all of the parts that 92K1500 wants. Thanks
Old 09-14-2014, 12:47 PM
92K1500

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I called dibs first.

I got rear ended a couple years ago and still haven't fixed it. I just replaced the broken turn signal after getting pulled over twice for it.

And the door panel because some jackass leaned over into my window with a lit cigarette in his hand and made a little burn spot in the top of the panel. He got a bloody nose for it.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:53 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by 92K1500
And the door panel because some jackass leaned over into my window with a lit cigarette in his hand and made a little burn spot in the top of the panel. He got a bloody nose for it.
I have a set of grey door panels I'm looking to sell...60k miles on them, no cig marks...
Old 09-14-2014, 01:03 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you don't mind me asking what did you buy it for and what do you currently owe?

It's always tough when there is negative equity. I personally would part it out, sell for what I can then somehow pay off the remainder of the loan.

I paid my z off a year ago because the interest rate was at 10% and I couldn't get refinanced. Worked my *** off but it was worth iym

Last edited by oldschool350z; 09-14-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:09 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by oldschool350z
sell for what I can then somehow pay off the remainder of the loan.
yeah, but before the bank will release the title to the new owner the loan has to be paid - OP has to come to the table with the loan balance.

If it was me, and it sounds like the OP bought the car from a 'buy here pay here' shop and financed through a non-traditional financial institution, I would do my best to finance the negative equity of the car through the same institution.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:16 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with bealljk, at the moment the car doesn't belong to you and you need to find a way of paying off the finance so that you at least you would then have the title and can do with it what you wish. An idea as to how much you still owe would be helpful as more heads are better than one in helping you to sort this out.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:30 AM
Stinvil93

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Honestly with it being an auto it may not sell as quick as you would like. Most True Z owners will drive a stick 9 time out of 10. I would just try to get back into your payments and try to bounce back. Times arnt that bad.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:43 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
I doubt this car can be sold to anyone without bank involvement. The bank has the title and I'm sure they won't give it up without payment in full. Parting the car could also result in problems since the bank is still going to want their money in full and once the car is parted, their security is gone. They would probably demand payment in full once they find out. A bankruptcy filing might be the best solution.
or he could find some poor schmuck to take over the loan...
Old 09-15-2014, 11:17 AM
StuLax18
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,339 Likes on 2,379 Posts

OP where r u?
Old 09-16-2014, 04:32 PM
chitownpete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No details= no point even posting this here but here goes. If you owe $50,000 file bankruptcy, if you owe $5,000 just turn it in. Anything in between varies depending on the financial facts. Get this car out of your life, no car is worth this headache.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:14 PM
karossii

Sorry all for the delay - I have a 2 week old baby, and my online time is much reduced lately; and the forum never notified me of any replies!

I bought it 3 years ago for $9500 plus TTL. With the bad rate I got, the tax, and obligatory warranty, etc., I ended up financing just under 12k. I've paid more than 6k of that, and yet I currently have a 13.5k-ish payoff. It would be closer to 10k, but they offered me a refinance a year and a half ago, and failed to inform me of all of the terms, which ended up tacking 4k onto the principle.

I am getting trade-in values from 6k to 8k, and based on local sales, I doubt I could sell it for as much as 10k.

I cannot file bankruptcy; one of the reasons my credit is poor is that I have had a bankruptcy which was discharged almost 3 years ago. 4 more years before that is an option, and it is my hope to avoid ever doing that again.

I am financed through Santander, who has, aside from the misleading refinance, done a really good job of dicking me around with the amount of the payments, the due dates, and tons of various little fees (it is impossible for me to pay my car payment each month without some form of a fee to get them the money; $11 is the cheapest option!). And they tend to tack on every little fee to the principle. If you have any choice whatsoever, I would advise never using Santander for a loan.

Aside from the driver side skirt damage, the only other issue is a minor paint scrape on the driver's side rear wheel well, which could probably be buffed out and recoated. It only looks like the clear coat was scraped, not the paint itself. Not sure exactly how or when that happened - I blame my wife. I would certainly remember rubbing against another vehicle or a post, etc. Oh - it is the standard nissan pearlescent white color.

I bought it used, and the previous owner had put some blacklight led strips under the dash on both sides. I never turn them on, and had thought to remove them, but I haven't yet. It is a touring edition, automatic, and has all that that entails - heated leather seats, bose sound system, etc. It is definitely a 9 year old car; but it isn't in bad shape.

Last edited by karossii; 09-19-2014 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Should I part out my Z?