Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Purchasing a used 350z

Old 10-24-2014, 08:33 PM
#ATLhoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing a used 350z

hello everybody, im looking to purchase a 2008 350z manual. http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...83536666&Log=0
This one in particular. Test drove it, loved it and im already in the process of negotiating the price with them so i can walk out happy. One issue im concerned about though is that the car does not have traction control. Georgia weather is always random and it can rain very hard sometimes and on rare occasions have some snow storms. Was wondering how much this would affect me because this will be my daily driver to commute so i just wanted to hear yall's opinions, Thanks.

If i do purchase the car, the dealership agreed to take that nasty a#$ spoiler too lol.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:16 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Depends on you and your driving habits. Most newbs wreck within the first year of ownership. The z is also known to kill more drivers than anything else on the road. Weather can be a factor but not the main cause of you driving into a pole on Thanksgiving.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:18 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

how do you it doesnt have traction control?
Old 10-24-2014, 09:30 PM
G35HR

He means it doesn't have the option to turn traction control off or on. Which means it's always off and is a base model. I took traction off in the snow once and had no chance, then again I was only on my 4th month of driving manual, first time in the snow.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:38 PM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

As a base model no TCS owner I can tell you in the rain its all about tires. I has some summers on for a white and the wife spun it out almost got in a wreck. I threw on some potenza pole position 970AS its 100% good in all forms of rain (i'm in florida, it rains hard) Ill run out of visibility before I have issues with staying on the road. Again TIRES is what counts here.

I love hearing stories of people spinning out and blaming traction control when they are rocking RE11s or aggressive summer tires. If its a daily driver don't do that. Never driven in snow though.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:41 PM
#ATLhoe

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Depends on you and your driving habits. Most newbs wreck within the first year of ownership. The z is also known to kill more drivers than anything else on the road. Weather can be a factor but not the main cause of you driving into a pole on Thanksgiving.
I'm pretty mature about the way that i drive, i don't expect to speed at all unless the conditions are very good but thats exactly what im scared of, crashing the car.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:42 PM
#ATLhoe

Originally Posted by NiLL
As a base model no TCS owner I can tell you in the rain its all about tires. I has some summers on for a white and the wife spun it out almost got in a wreck. I threw on some potenza pole position 970AS its 100% good in all forms of rain (i'm in florida, it rains hard) Ill run out of visibility before I have issues with staying on the road. Again TIRES is what counts here.

I love hearing stories of people spinning out and blaming traction control when they are rocking RE11s or aggressive summer tires. If its a daily driver don't do that. Never driven in snow though.
What would be some cheap, reliable year-round tires? the dealership agreed to get new ones as well so i might as well try to get the best deal i can lol
Old 10-25-2014, 04:49 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

We all have traction control. It is built into our right foot. It isn't necessary to have a computer deciding how to control our cars.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:13 AM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NiLL

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
We all have traction control. It is built into our right foot. It isn't necessary to have a computer deciding how to control our cars.
Best advice here ^^ Just Google "best all season tires" and review what you can afford. Tire rackaalways has reviews too.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:56 AM
350zsunshinefl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TC saved my *** multiple times just driving around, was taking an onramp - going normal speed, 4th gear - suddenly the rear end loses traction, if VDC didn't kick in I wouldn't have enough time, room, or reaction skills to save the car.

The point of VDC is, you leave it on and it will protect you and the car when you are in a relaxed state/ not expecting a sudden / abrupt loss of traction.

This car (especially the HR) can and does lose traction without warning if the road condition & your tires come to a disagreement.

the VDC button isn't just a dumb traction control like in most cars - it is a derivative of the nissan R34 ATTESSA system, it controls much more than just cutting power to the wheels.
Some of the things come to mind - it will reduce torque in addition to applying any of the 4 brake callipers to correct the car, along with sensing input from the steering wheel - if it senses you trying to correct it, it will assist you to a point but won't over correct.

If you are buying the Z as a daily I would look for one with VDC, if it's just a weekend toy/ track car you will be okay.

Sure you can be prepared 90% of the time and save the situtation, but in the 10% when there is a nice day out, not a cloud in sight - you take a corner hit an oil spot or some gravel and end up like this guy.

Last edited by 350zsunshinefl; 10-25-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:54 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by G35HR
Which means it's always off and is a base model.
wait...the 2008 350z base model includes heated leather seats, power mirrors, power windows, power seats, cruise control, HID lights?

post number 11 has the options for the 2008 model year.
https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...questions.html

I think this is an 'enthusiast' model...in which it does have traction control (TCS) but not (VDC) vehicle dynamic control. So the car has traction control in the sense that the computer will limit how much power is supplied to the rear tires but does not have VDC which will save your ***...

and +1 to finding one with VDC...
Old 10-25-2014, 03:01 PM
KornerCarver

Originally Posted by 350zsunshinefl
TC saved my *** multiple times just driving around, was taking an onramp - going normal speed, 4th gear - suddenly the rear end loses traction, if VDC didn't kick in I wouldn't have enough time, room, or reaction skills to save the car.

The point of VDC is, you leave it on and it will protect you and the car when you are in a relaxed state/ not expecting a sudden / abrupt loss of traction.

This car (especially the HR) can and does lose traction without warning if the road condition & your tires come to a disagreement.

the VDC button isn't just a dumb traction control like in most cars - it is a derivative of the nissan R34 ATTESSA system, it controls much more than just cutting power to the wheels.
Some of the things come to mind - it will reduce torque in addition to applying any of the 4 brake callipers to correct the car, along with sensing input from the steering wheel - if it senses you trying to correct it, it will assist you to a point but won't over correct.

If you are buying the Z as a daily I would look for one with VDC, if it's just a weekend toy/ track car you will be okay.

Sure you can be prepared 90% of the time and save the situtation, but in the 10% when there is a nice day out, not a cloud in sight - you take a corner hit an oil spot or some gravel and end up like this guy.

If you have to rely on a computer to save your butt, you are driving too fast for conditions.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:03 PM
KornerCarver

Originally Posted by bealljk
wait...the 2008 350z base model includes heated leather seats, power mirrors, power windows, power seats, cruise control, HID lights?

post number 11 has the options for the 2008 model year.
https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...questions.html

I think this is an 'enthusiast' model...in which it does have traction control (TCS) but not (VDC) vehicle dynamic control. So the car has traction control in the sense that the computer will limit how much power is supplied to the rear tires but does not have VDC which will save your ***...

and +1 to finding one with VDC...
The car in the ad is clearly a Base model. Obviously someone has upgraded the seats to leather. The '08 Base model does come with HID lights. The dealer doesn't have a clue what is on that car. I doubt the leather seats are power but someone could have wired in a set of power seats.

Last edited by KornerCarver; 10-25-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:55 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

oh when i first saw the pics i was thinking nice car, then i saw the ricer wing........
Old 10-25-2014, 05:56 PM
350Z Project X

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
oh when i first saw the pics i was thinking nice car, then i saw the ricer wing........
Yeah luckily stealership will take that POS off for him. lol. Maybe go and put it on a honda I'm sure they would love it
Old 10-25-2014, 08:51 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

The car in the ad is clearly a Base model
yeah, no steering wheel controls for cruise...
Old 10-26-2014, 06:01 AM
clubhopper

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

If you have to rely on a computer to save your butt, you are driving too fast for conditions.
This.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:30 AM
350zsunshinefl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clubhopper
This.
Not necessarily, if you read the entire post you would see that you don't have to drive fast to lose control.

Having no VDC is like having unprotected sex, much higher chance of getting something nasty.

Re-read my post again, no one said anything about driving too fast for conditions, hit a patch of sand or coolant on an onramp, end up wrapped around a tree.

Really a no brainer, if given the opportunity go for the VDC equipped car- especially since the price delta is so small in the used market. Not to mention you get an LSD (granted its a VLSD but it's still better than an open diff)

Last edited by 350zsunshinefl; 10-26-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:57 AM
KornerCarver

I have been driving for over 50 years and have never had a car suddenly lose control. You need to drive for conditions. If there is sand or coolant on the road you need to slow down. If it is rainy or snowy, you need to slow down. Cars don't just "jump out of control" for no reason. And if you know how to drive, you don't need a computer to save your butt. You will react and control the car yourself.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:09 AM
clubhopper

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

I have been driving for over 50 years and have never had a car suddenly lose control. You need to drive for conditions. If there is sand or coolant on the road you need to slow down. If it is rainy or snowy, you need to slow down. Cars don't just "jump out of control" for no reason. And if you know how to drive, you don't need a computer to save your butt. You will react and control the car yourself.
This.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Purchasing a used 350z