Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Brakes still squealing after brake job?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 05:37 AM
Zombie-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes still squealing after brake job?

I have a 2003 touring m/t coupe. The brakes started making noise so I quickly got it to Nissan to do the brakes. This was a few months ago. They turned the rotors and put new pads in. They were the original brakes and they said they had a hard time getting them apart. At very low speeds when approaching a light or stop, when the brakes are lightly applied, they squeal very loudly. They make no noise and seem to work fine when applied more firmly. I have had it back 4 times and still doing the same thing. They gave me a new rotor on the wheel they thought it was coming from but did not resolve. They put a new set of pads on in case it was a bad set but still the same thing. They have taken them apart and put them back together and lubricated them twice and still the same thing. Anyone have this experience or have any idea what it might be? It sounds like it is coming from the drivers side front. I am going to bring it back again, but the dealership says they just can't figure out the problem. I am looking for suggestions and ideas to get them in the right direction. Thank you in advance.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:11 AM
Zmandriving

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be your rotors are bad. You have an 03 so I am guessing you have a lot of miles on your car and it is probably time to change all of your rotors and upgrade your pads, brake lines, and new fluid. Caliper could be bad but I doubt it. I got ebc rotors and ebc yellow stuff brake pads and they are great. If your calipers are bad might be time to upgrade to big brake kit.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:23 AM
JTeeAre

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Theyve touched everything BUT the rotors and they still have no clue.

This is why imma do all the work myself.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:57 AM
HK350 Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Swap out the rotors for slotted or cross drilled, I had a coworker whos wife had a G35 that wouldnt stop squeeling until he swapped the rotors out.I swapped mine which were making noise since I got the car at 24K. Since the swap 30K ago no more noise.A friends showed me how to swap it all out, not that hard, took about 1.5 hours for all 4.

Last edited by HK350 Z; 10-30-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:09 PM
lolsupfoo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rotors are most likely bad, same thing happen with g35 sedan after putting on new brake pads.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:40 PM
trustr888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure they didn't forget the stock OEM shims on the old brake pads?
Old 10-31-2014, 05:46 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Brakes typically squeal because either the pad is moving around or you have a "hot spot" on the rotor. I have heard brakes squeal even with brand new everything, including calipers. I have always dropped a gob of grease on the tabs of the pads where they clip into the brackets, which I believe lubes the spring clips and makes them more effective. Been doing that for decades now - yeah, I'm old lol - and have never had any squeal at all other than maybe once after a rain and the car sat for a bit.