Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Rear View Camera Hooked Up To Switch Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 03:41 PM
Broseph Stalin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear View Camera Hooked Up To Switch Thread

I'm trying to find a thread that I was looking at the other day. Somebody got a cheap reverse camera off of Amazon and hooked it up to a switch instead of the reverse wire, and put the switch where the vdc or tcs button is on non base models. Anybody know where I can find this thread, or find a switch that fits? It may have been on Zilvia but I can't remember.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:09 AM
kennyy

I don't think wiring a backup camera to a switch is a good idea, rear view cameras aren't meant to be switched on the entire time, either way you have to run a wire to tap into your reserve wire to get your headunit to switch to reverse. It's actually not that bad I've done it on tons of cars including Z's, it ends up being a lot more convenient in the long run, I can't picture turning a switch on Everytime I hit reverse.

But if you insist
All you need to do is buy a basic rear view camera from Amazon/ebay etc....hook up the reverse signal to the accesory tab on the switch, run a power wire to the positive tab on the switch and ground it. Then run your video cable to the back of your headunit or seperate screen If using one and done.

But like I said I highly reccommend doing it the right way...im on the mobile app so can't see where you're located but if you're in socal I can help you out for an extremely fair price. Or if you'd like to tackle the job yourself feel free to message me and I can walk you through the entire process free of charge. I have years of audio/electronics experience
Old 11-18-2014, 05:24 AM
Klinger350Z

Some headunits have an option that will allow you to turn on the camera anytime. On my Kenwood, if I hold the 'TEL' button down it will switch to the camera.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:35 PM
kbailey91

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default done it

I got a license plate frame with built-in back up camera and another cheap little camera that I mounted under my front bumper, in front of intercooler... ran the positive and ground from both locations to a 3 position switch on.off.on ... next to the vdc empty switch spot. Basically just drilled a hole and mounted switch from checker. The camera feeds, there's two of them per camera I ran all the way to a little lcd monitor I mounted in the cubby hole. Just drilled hold in back, fed wires, kept the lid and all so when closed you can't see anything. I did it this way on the switch so I could flip it to front or back. Low car cant be breaking any lips.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:41 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

There are good reasons to manually control the rear view (or front view or any view for that matter) camera. An example: People who trailer boats or anything may want constant viewing.

One way to do this is connecting the monitor to the camera with an interrupt-divert switch. You wire from the camera to the switch, and then go to a continuous display or a car-in-reverse display. You could handle 2, 3, 4, or more scenarios using the appropriate switching mechanism.

Off-roaders often use multiple cameras with display selectors to handle tricky passages.

--Spike
Old 11-30-2014, 05:01 PM
cashmoney03

Trailer towing and off roading are two things z's are not exactly known for. I've had back up cameras on all of my vehicles since 2008 both cars and trucks and I have yet to ever be in a situation where a constant on camera is useful.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:25 PM
Spike100

I understand that your experience is limited. You said:
Originally Posted by cashmoney03
Trailer towing and off roading are two things z's are not exactly known for. I've had back up cameras on all of my vehicles since 2008 both cars and trucks and I have yet to ever be in a situation where a constant on camera is useful.
My requirement is very different from what you state because I need visibility while driving through difficult passages. I require constant viewing.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:33 PM
DarkCreep

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

What is the reasoning behind wanting a constant on reverse camera in a Z?

People always ask about it but it seems so pointless and dangerous.

Last edited by DarkCreep; 12-01-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:28 PM
Spike100

Some 350z drivers complain about the rear view and blind spots on the right rear passenger side.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:44 PM
cashmoney03

Originally Posted by Spike100
I understand that your experience is limited. You said:

My requirement is very different from what you state because I need visibility while driving through difficult passages. I require constant viewing.
Why though? Define difficult passages.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:48 PM
Broseph Stalin

I was actually going to wire in a camera to the back, using the reverse sensor, as well as a camera in the front that is connected to the switch. I have a bride seat that's super low and its hard to judge how far I am from parking blocks sometimes.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:51 PM
Broseph Stalin

There is an auxiliary female jack that comes out of the back of my head unit, and then a auxillary male jack that comes out of each back up camera. The plan is to get one of these guys, and connect both cameras. The front camera will by activated by the manual switch, and the reverse camera will be activated by the reverse sensor.

Last edited by Broseph Stalin; 12-03-2014 at 10:54 PM. Reason: words..
Old 12-04-2014, 06:35 PM
DarkCreep

If I told my grandpa I had two cameras in my car to park correctly, he'd call me a *****.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:57 PM
Broseph Stalin

Originally Posted by DarkCreep
If I told my grandpa I had two cameras in my car to park correctly, he'd call me a *****.
Good thing my ego isn't that fragile.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:43 PM
Spike100

This is several years ago, but Clarion was testing a multiple camera setup that provided an overhead view of your car. You could see in every direction. The car roof (you were looking downwards over the car) was a virtual image, but everything else was an actual view provided by the cameras. That meant you could see everything except that cup of latte you forgot on your car’s roof.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:55 PM
Broseph Stalin

Originally Posted by Spike100
This is several years ago, but Clarion was testing a multiple camera setup that provided an overhead view of your car. You could see in every direction. The car roof (you were looking downwards over the car) was a virtual image, but everything else was an actual view provided by the cameras. That meant you could see everything except that cup of latte you forgot on your car’s roof.
I'll just do this

Rear View Camera Hooked Up To Switch Thread-8la1uoa.png
Old 12-06-2014, 11:36 AM
kbailey91

Default ..

Hard to see sometimes when backing out (especially since i have limo tint all around and windshield is about 30% so having a rev. camera is beneficial imo). mine is rigged to a 3 position switch so i only flip it on when backing out, and the front camera is flipped on to avoid pulling the amuse lip into a parking block.... which a valet driver was kind enough to do once. Both i think are useful. Having on constantly.. i dont think is necessary. just my 2 cents.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:22 PM
Spike100

One example is a highway construction zone I drove through daily last summer. Narrow and shifting temporary lanes with poor markings made driving difficult.

The rearview and side mirror were hardly adequate viewing the tight and curving lanes, especially when the road curves sharply left and I’m watching towards the right rear. I would have benefited from a rearview camera covering the right rear blind spot.
Originally Posted by cashmoney03
Why though? Define difficult passages.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:01 PM
DarkCreep

Seems like it will be more of a distraction than itll help.

learn2drive.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Spike100

It's not unlike your rear view mirror. You don't stare at your mirror; you glance at it to gain a visual that you match to the rest of the information you are processing.

A camera gives you another view that may be useful. You don't stare at the LCD monitor, but instead you glance at it just as you do with your rear view mirror.