Notices
Engine Swaps For all your engine swap experiences, ideas, questions, & more..

Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 06:21 AM
mkiv20vt

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't thoroughly look through the pics, sorry I missed the TB.

I will probably keep the 317 heads when I boost. They flow well enough to hit the numbers that I am looking for.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:43 PM
the_baitzboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another LS Build...continued

Sounds like a solid plan. Those CTS-V superchargers are stupid cheap now. You can nab one for $700-$900 with less than 50k miles on it. Its only good for about 14psi in stock form because you gotta add heat exchangers, barrel enlargement, pulley size, etc etc. Would prob yield some epic tq figures with the truck manifold setup you have. My heads have decent enough flow lol stock LS3 is 320cfms per, mine are flowing 335cfms...LS1 guys spend a lot of money to get theirs to that high
Old 12-06-2014, 04:04 PM
the_baitzboy

Exclamation Another LS Build...continued

Did a little more work today. We got the exhaust manifolds on, the spark plugs in, coils installed and hooked up and the fuel lines ran. Got a few pictures for you guys. If you have any questions, ask away.

As you can see, I'm quickly running out space on the sides lol

If you notice the pictures of the individual exhaust manifolds, you'll see that I'm gonna run into the sway bar so I'm pretty sure i'll have to either drop the sway bar or cut it up and reweld it run behind the manifolds.

Tomms goals are to get the front end accessories back on and belt on. That will leave bleeding the clutch and finishing the wiring and installing the new stainless power steering lines to replace the crushed OEM lines
Attached Thumbnails Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-part-1.jpg   Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-part-2.jpg   Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-part-3.jpg   Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-part-4.jpg   Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-part-5.jpg  

Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-part-6.jpg   Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-part-8.jpg  
Old 12-19-2014, 02:33 PM
the_baitzboy

Default LS Swap Continued

So its been some slow progress, just running super low on money, tired of pumping money into this seemingly endless pit. But the show must go on, so it'll be slower progress from here on out, but the end is around the corner

The truck manifolds are not going to work without removing the sway bar, its a bit of a mess, but its all a learning experience. Please keep this item in mind if going with the Fueled Racing kit. The manifolds you are looking at are LS1 Camaro manifolds and are stainless steel, so welding is an option, while my blue truck manifolds are made of iron and obviously cant be welded compared to the stainless.

So I learned the other day that the rocker arms can not be tightened down (tq specs are between 28lbs-32lbs) without the rotating assembly being rotated. So I had to pop off the remove the coils and coil plate, remove valve covers and redo the tightness of the rocker arms. ITS A DAMN GOOD THING I DID! All of the rocker arms were over off by 5-8lbs from where they should have been and that would been pretty bad if I neglected to go back and redo those.

You can get away with only needing two bolts to hold the coil plates down and if you notice in the pic, I shaved down one of the stubs down....which means that ugly hole in my primary firewall could have been COMPLETELY avoided. So please keep that in mind if going with the Fueled Racing kit.
Attached Thumbnails Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-storyline-1.jpg   Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-storyline-2.jpg   Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-storyline-3.jpg   Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-storyline-4.jpg   Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-storyline-5.jpg  

Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-storyline-6.jpg  
Old 12-21-2014, 12:15 PM
the_baitzboy

Thumbs up Shifter update

So if any of you remember, I posted a picture with an illustration of how I was going to relocate the shift stick since I have a non-GTO T56 transmission as a part of my swap.

I found a piece of 1/4" steel at Lowes for $8.84, cut off a piece that is 4 1/4" long, drilled the holes up using a 5/16" drill bit. For the discerning viewer, you'll notice the stick learns back and towards me, I purposely adjusted the stick holes so it'd tilt back instead of having a shifter that sticks straight up. the attachment location on the short shifter itself was slightly angled but because I used a transition plate with no adjustment for slant, it made the shifter lean towards me. Second gear is very close to the e-brake

Once I tightened all the bolts down, I simply modded the existing shifter pieces to allow them to fit over and around my new setup. And I think it looks pretty good.

(I have a push button setup for those curious about the little doo-dad sorta just laying on the center console area of the last picture, its 2014/2015....what are keys? lmao)
Attached Thumbnails Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-1.jpg   Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-2.jpg   Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-3.jpg   Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-4.jpg   Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-5.jpg  

Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-6.jpg   Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-7.jpg  

Last edited by the_baitzboy; 12-21-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:17 AM
the_baitzboy

Default LS Build Continued

Been a while since I've been on here. I tend to do more immediate updates on Facebook lol

Last time I left off, I had just made a makeshift shifter relocation plate since I do not have a GTO T56 transmission.

Over the last few weeks, ran into issues trying to use the flipped truck manifolds. I've tried 3 different sets of various LS exhaust manifolds, the driver side causing issues on one set, the passenger side being a *****. So I broke down and bought the Fueled Racing headers from Todd, the owner. These are 1 5/8 headers, he will have 1 7/8 headers coming out in May and I'll be receiving those to replace these. had to wrap the left side to protect the steering linkage since theres much less fitment on the driver side as compared to the passenger side.

Other stuff: got a pair of CME exhaust tips. Going with a single center exhaust tip setup. Will be true duals all the way up to the tip itself. Using a pair of Magnaflow Performance mufflers. They are 22" long and you can order these with inlet/outlet sizes from 2 1/4" -> 4". Hoping the exhaust note will be brutal but not over the top loud. We'll see in the next few weeks.

Also snagged a pair of the projector bi-xenons from a wrecked Q45. Included a pic of another Z with the same items already installed which is what I want to look when I am completed.
Attached Thumbnails Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-nonfitment.jpg   Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-center-setup.jpg   Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-headlights.jpg   Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-headlight-goal.jpg   Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-header-1.jpg  

Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-header-2.jpg   Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-header-3.jpg   Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-11029482_10203930213121081_3032470505220084966_n.jpg   Another LS build. You'll read it anyways.-10452388_10203975191405510_8725237439695338144_n.jpg  
Old 03-19-2015, 08:10 PM
Zelda06

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh the amount of patience you must have. Send some my way sometime.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:06 PM
Steven Sampaga

I love it! Keep up the great work!!!
Old 03-31-2015, 01:24 AM
Justin100

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i would like to do a lq4/lq9 setup one day.......i always contemplate how much money it would cost......

I think I'll stick to an xbox one and need for speed rivals and forza

and rent corvettes through hertz rental service lol...
Old 04-28-2015, 12:34 PM
thomas742

Hey I'm doing a ls3 in my z now and it's jest about done I'm jest trying to figure out the wiring now I want to see if you can hoop me out if it I would appreciate it or sum tips thinks
Old 10-23-2015, 02:36 PM
jonnyidfw

So hows the Build Going?
Old 10-28-2015, 10:46 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

^^^

very painful question

iirc he's selling the motor !?!
Old 05-19-2016, 12:33 PM
Wiring_Specialties
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by thomas742
Hey I'm doing a ls3 in my z now and it's jest about done I'm jest trying to figure out the wiring now I want to see if you can hoop me out if it I would appreciate it or sum tips thinks
We offer a 100% plug-n-play harness with full CAN BUS integration, so no need to run two ecu's etc. Let me know if you have any other questions