Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

sell or not to sell the Z

Old 11-21-2014, 07:04 AM
l2frankie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sell or not to sell the Z

i have been an owner of my car for almost 3 years now. i made the mistake and bought it from a mickey mouse dealer ( 1st car ever bought ) the last owner hit a light pole and got the car repoed. ofcouse i had to put money into fixing the car from its little problems that have been adding up but am afraid now i find out my crank is cracked on 2 different spots. am not planning to build the motor. my question is, is it worth buying another 06 motor hoping it doesnt have problems/ oil consumption or just sell the z all together and buy another car?

suspension mods

D2 coilovers
full whiteline bushing
spc rear camber kit
hotchis front/rear sway bar
Power grid front and rear endlink

engine mods

nismo r tune headers
kinetic hfc
borla exhaust w/ welded magnaflow x pipe
mrev2 w/ 5/16 spacer
popcharger

other things i did

rear wiper delete ( filled in the hole )
tracklite wheels
replica n2 front bumper w/ canards
blacked out depo headlights
front bumper duct
blacked out entire car

the cars untuned and i literally just finished installing the headers and fixing front ball joints, tie rods, cv boots

need some help please

Last edited by l2frankie; 11-21-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:43 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Not sure you need much help based on your last "help needed" posts and this one. Your Z will likely bring more in a used car sale if it has a running, and fully functioning engine. Why not just purchase a rebuilt VQ shortblock and either pay a qualified wrench to install it, or (if you have the time, tools and ability) do it yourself? This is probably the most cost-effective route.

Sure, you could part out your car a little at a time, but that'll also take a long time to complete and may not have as much of a return as a fully functioning Z. You've already spent some time and money trying to restore your Z, why give up the effort and flush all that money away?
Old 11-21-2014, 08:02 AM
shooter45

Buy and install a new engine.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:12 AM
l2frankie

was thinking about a new engine but thats going to cost a good amount just for an engine that i wont know what it went through or if it has oil consumption. another problem i keep coming across is lets say i do fix this, what are the chances of other problems occurring. i have read many reviews about rebuilt z's always having problems when they are front end hit. obviously you guys dont know what state my cars in so its personally up to me to decide that. just rambling on hoping to see some light in this
Old 11-21-2014, 08:21 AM
aboveliquidice

Originally Posted by l2frankie
was thinking about a new engine but thats going to cost a good amount just for an engine that i wont know what it went through or if it has oil consumption. another problem i keep coming across is lets say i do fix this, what are the chances of other problems occurring. i have read many reviews about rebuilt z's always having problems when they are front end hit. obviously you guys dont know what state my cars in so its personally up to me to decide that. just rambling on hoping to see some light in this
Ya gotta decide what you want to deal with it. If you like wrenching on your car all of the time... Just fix the car you've got. Any used car that is older than 4 or 5 years is gonna start breaking. You sign up for this with an older sports car.

If the "will my car break" question is a serious concern, sell the car and get a newer one. I hear brand new 370s are pretty reliable. From the parts list, it looks like you love what you've got.

I'd fix it and keep it. In fact... When faced with the same question, that's what I did.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:28 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

A rebuilt shortblock will include a crank that's been checked, new rod and main bearings, rebuilt rods and new pistons and rings. It'll also come with a warranty for the shortblock and assuming the upper end hasn't been too badly abused, you should have a good chance of not having any powertrain related problems.

You've got to balance out the equation by recognizing the '06 Revup will consume more oil in normal operation. Just keep an eye on it and it shouldn't be a problem. It sounds like you're rambling on because you've lost the gumption to continue working on the Z and want us to just tell you to move along. That won't happen and the sooner you realize the best course of action is to keep the car you own and learn how to fix it, the better off you'll be.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:17 AM
l2frankie

I love my z. Its my 1st car I bought and modded. As you can see I didn't cheap out on any parts for this car. Yea I sorta knew coming into a sports car what its going to be like as far as gas, maintaining the car. Reason why none of that bothers me. So its pretty much a gamble if I fix the motor I have to pray thats about the last thing I need to do besides regular maintenance.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:36 AM
icer5160

Received 396 Likes on 297 Posts

Hey Frankie,

Sorry to hear about the troubles. But you can easily find a re-built VQ35DE Revup for cheap! I found a place in Sacramento that has rebuilt long blocks for around 1200-1500, maybe less, been a while since I checked prices. Install price will vary depending on the shop or if you do it yourself. But if you put a lot of time/money into the car, I would recommend replacing with a rebuilt short block and doing the work yourself.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:57 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Well If I were you being in Miami I would swap in another motor and be done. Being Florida pretty much any other motor would work for me whether 1j, 2j, rb, or LS. If only I lived in Florida dangit
Old 11-21-2014, 04:23 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mods don't add value. I would part it out and put it back to stock then sell as is
Old 11-21-2014, 04:52 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aboveliquidice
Ya gotta decide what you want to deal with it. If you like wrenching on your car all of the time... Just fix the car you've got. Any used car that is older than 4 or 5 years is gonna start breaking. You sign up for this with an older sports car.

If the "will my car break" question is a serious concern, sell the car and get a newer one. I hear brand new 370s are pretty reliable. From the parts list, it looks like you love what you've got.

I'd fix it and keep it. In fact... When faced with the same question, that's what I did.
5 years old and it will have problems? My Celica had no issues until the water pump at 105k and it was 14 years old.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:37 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Reading the story, just drive it, nothing is really wrong.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:04 PM
l2frankie

what are the chances the top being damaged like the bottom if i was just to get the block? i sold all my stock parts so converting back to stock is not an option for me. if am replacing the lower part would it just be worth it to throw in cams? lol
Old 11-21-2014, 08:05 PM
l2frankie

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Reading the story, just drive it, nothing is really wrong.
nothing is wrong for now. car still needs a tune and was planning on running 75 shot. got my entire zex nitrous kit and goodies. was also hoping to have my UR crank pulley installed and buy a clutch/flywheel once my clutch goes

Last edited by l2frankie; 11-21-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:25 PM
venture210

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Never heard of the cranks cracking before... anyways, I once saw a problem-free revup motor sell for 900 so don't think that replacing the engine will be extremely costly. Also, pulling the motor in the z is (in my opinion) extremely easy. The only thing you really have to worry about is the power steering lines parallel to the steering rack.

I'd just pull that engine and rebuild it with some beefy rods, forged pistons, and then boost it.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:32 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Just source a motor to build, they are cheap. Do your car how you want, swap the motor when you scatter the prior one with squeeze.

The pulley is know to crack the crank over time. Not recommended for street use.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:08 AM
l2frankie

I wouldn't go so far into building the motor, just cams if I do a short block switch. If I get a cheap motor I'll just swap it and call it a day.