Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 350z. How much would an engine swap run me? Ect

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 09:20 AM
350zDK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Buying a 350z. How much would an engine swap run me? Ect

Hello everyone. This is my first post onto this website. So I'm planning to buy a 05-06 350z once I get the money, one that will have around 80k miles. I've been deciding on a car and a 350z just sparked my eyes and I love it already. I'm 18, in college (JC) I'll be transferring in like 3 years (maybe). Anyways, I wanted a sports car with more power to start and then to do a full engine swap on it. Might sound a little unreal but I think I can do it. I've chosen an ls3 engine swap and just wondering what it would run me ballpark? I know there's other factors like upgrading other parts so it can take the power of the engine so please, include those as well. I own a 2002 e320 Benz and its 225hp just isn't enough for me I feel like a snail.. I love racing and going fast. I wanna learn how to drift soon too. I think I get it from my uncle cause he owns a Benz dealership in Idaho and works on them in Cali and races all the time. He street raced his own ground built 67-69 Fastbacks when he was younger all the time. His 04 e55 also got souped up to 190mph+... Anyway yeah I like the adrenaline of speed and I love the look of the 350z but would love to put a more powerful engine In it.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:27 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

riiight...

What's your total budget?
Parts alone are going to run $20-25K if you want it done properly.

Last edited by Syner; 11-27-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:58 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Welcome and the first thing you should do is learn to search this site. You'll find all your answers and more by simply searching. and while you might think you're ready for a high HP RWD sportscar, you're not. If you've got a family (and an uncle) who're nice enough to gift you a E320, thank your lucky stars. Keep the Benz and get through college first. Then get a decent job and learn a few things from your uncle before you even think about a project like this.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:12 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,578 Likes on 2,037 Posts

Do not get an 06. Do not get a sports car, do not change a car you don't have.

/wasting my time.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:53 AM
radiocrash

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zDK
got souped up to 190mph+
jesus christ.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:01 AM
350zDK

Originally Posted by dkmura
Welcome and the first thing you should do is learn to search this site. You'll find all your answers and more by simply searching. and while you might think you're ready for a high HP RWD sportscar, you're not. If you've got a family (and an uncle) who're nice enough to gift you a E320, thank your lucky stars. Keep the Benz and get through college first. Then get a decent job and learn a few things from your uncle before you even think about a project like this.
Well my car is worth like 3-4k.. I've had it for the last 2+ years and really, I'm ready for an upgrade. I don't care how long it'll take to do and the cost will be a lot less being that I'll be doing it with my uncle and I'll be doing a lot of work. I love cars and I want a 350z. I don't know why everyone always tries to shoot the idea down (not specifically you) but the guy saying this is a waste of his time. Also I've looked at 100 threads but they never seem to answer my full question probably cause I have more than the ones they answer.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:03 AM
Syner

Well my car is worth like 3-4k.. I've had it for the last 2+ years and really, I'm ready for an upgrade. I don't care how long it'll take to do and the cost will be a lot less being that I'll be doing it with my uncle and I'll be doing a lot of work. I love cars and I want a 350z. I don't know why everyone always tries to shoot the idea down (not specifically you) but the guy saying this is a waste of his time. Also I've looked at 100 threads but they never seem to answer my full question probably cause I have more than the ones they answer.
I gave my answer. $20-25K in parts alone. I am not including labor cost, because it will vary too much.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:17 AM
350zDK

Originally Posted by Syner
I gave my answer. $20-25K in parts alone. I am not including labor cost, because it will vary too much.
Yeah sorry I didn't acknowledge that, thank you for your input!
Old 11-27-2014, 12:57 PM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Ya'll bakers toasting in a roll bread
Old 11-27-2014, 01:33 PM
FOOKhonda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20-25k is a good ballpark figure, chances are it'll be upwards of 30k. There's a lotttt of lsx build threads, just look around. They will tell you stuff from price to "how to's"
Old 11-27-2014, 04:23 PM
the_baitzboy

Mike here, I have a thread posted on here with my LS3/LQ4 hybrid swap under the title "Another LS Build...you'll read it anyways", take a look at and get a good idea of whats involved...ie engine cost, swap kit, tranny cost, clutch cost, misc parts...Im not trying to be rude, but if you've never been close to this sort of instantaneous power, especially from an LS3, you need to get a Camaro or GTO or Corvette. Save yourself the trouble and get one of those and be done with it.

Why an LS3? It requires specific offset parts only available in the LS3 (obviously) and the LS7. The LS1, LS2, and LS6 are most common engines and share things between both truck/suv engines and themselves (obviously). An LS3 isnt an engine you can just throw in a car like an regular LS1. Powerband is better completely different and the cost of parts is noticably higher as its newer and GM knows you have limited parts of interchangeability.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:02 PM
Syner

Originally Posted by the_baitzboy
Mike here, I have a thread posted on here with my LS3/LQ4 hybrid swap under the title "Another LS Build...you'll read it anyways", take a look at and get a good idea of whats involved...ie engine cost, swap kit, tranny cost, clutch cost, misc parts...Im not trying to be rude, but if you've never been close to this sort of instantaneous power, especially from an LS3, you need to get a Camaro or GTO or Corvette. Save yourself the trouble and get one of those and be done with it.

Why an LS3? It requires specific offset parts only available in the LS3 (obviously) and the LS7. The LS1, LS2, and LS6 are most common engines and share things between both truck/suv engines and themselves (obviously). An LS3 isnt an engine you can just throw in a car like an regular LS1. Powerband is better completely different and the cost of parts is noticably higher as its newer and GM knows you have limited parts of interchangeability.
I was trying to find a link to your thread to post for the OP, but couldn't find the title. How close was I with my estimate?
Old 11-27-2014, 09:41 PM
venture210

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by radiocrash
jesus christ.
My thoughts exactly.

OP you'll probably receive better feedback from the members here if you would
1. focus on actually getting the z in the first place
2. get the ls3 and swap parts
3. post about your progress and experience
instead of talking about "maybe" doing this or "maybe" swapping that like many other dreamer threads.

Also being a college student myself, I doubt you'll be able to have the time to actually perform such a swap let alone fund it.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:53 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

I'm 18. I love racing and going fast. street raced...souped up to 190mph+... Anyway yeah I like the adrenaline of speed and I love the look of the 350z but would love to put a more powerful engine In it. I wanna learn how to drift soon
Just don't hurt anyone when you dorifto into a pole or sidewalk or house or wall or freeway off ramp.

Anyone check if I covered all the more recent newb crashes?
Old 11-28-2014, 06:30 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Just don't hurt anyone when you dorifto into a pole or sidewalk or house or wall or freeway off ramp.

Anyone check if I covered all the more recent newb crashes?
Probably the most under-reported crashes have been the guys drifting into curbs and wrecking wheels and suspension. OP should probably add those components into his build price estimate.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:43 AM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Do you know what DK means?

.. Donkey Kong?

Originally Posted by radiocrash
jesus christ.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:37 PM
the_baitzboy

OP, please follow the link to the 350z LS Facebook group. Theres a number of price and parts lists from multiple builds. A lot of good info, no trolls, a number of serious builds crossing over in the 1XXX whp mark on turbo'd LS stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1487598851464357/

Heres my recent thread, but no prices posted. I'm not a mechanic or anyone special so you get a real feel for the struggles and frustrations the average John Doe deals with.

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...t-anyways.html

If you go the way you say you are, you'll be in this $20k-$25k, like Syner mentioned. His number is pretty accurate. In my mind, why not take $20k-$25k and get a C6 Vette? You don't have to take my word for it, but I'm also one of the few who's already travelled down the road you're looking to go. Go 5.3L with a single turbo or go LQ4 or LQ9 with LS3 heads.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:20 PM
bad boyz

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Mostly just get your education and land a good job so you will have the cash to fund any project you want. Or better yet just get a Z and realize that at your age it really out the box has more power than you really can handle at this point.Later just do small mods and increase it's power and drivability and just have fun you must realize the more power the more responsibility you must have GL!
Old 11-28-2014, 04:22 PM
350zDK

OP, please follow the link to the 350z LS Facebook group. Theres a number of price and parts lists from multiple builds. A lot of good info, no trolls, a number of serious builds crossing over in the 1XXX whp mark on turbo'd LS stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1487598851464357/

Heres my recent thread, but no prices posted. I'm not a mechanic or anyone special so you get a real feel for the struggles and frustrations the average John Doe deals with.

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...t-anyways.html

If you go the way you say you are, you'll be in this $20k-$25k, like Syner mentioned. His number is pretty accurate. In my mind, why not take $20k-$25k and get a C6 Vette? You don't have to take my word for it, but I'm also one of the few who's already travelled down the road you're looking to go. Go 5.3L with a single turbo or go LQ4 or LQ9 with LS3 heads.
That actually sounds like a good/better idea. I'm really just looking for input from everyone so I can really choose and narrow down my choices and have a path setup so I'm not second guessing things. Yeah, I'm in college but im not a full time student I'm just getting my General Ed out of the way and some small stuff in my field. I work full time but I have lots of free time. I should have the car by summer. Then I have a whole 3 years to work on the car and save up money. I don't plan on doing the swap right away but for when I do if like to know exactly what I want.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:32 PM
350zDK

Good point, I was thinking of either ls2 or ls1 but for some reason the ls3 just sparked my interest. I'll make the decision soon enough once I get more into it but thank You

Quick Reply: Buying a 350z. How much would an engine swap run me? Ect