Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Mystery rotational noise - anyone with similar? Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 06:14 AM
RoryATL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery rotational noise - anyone with similar? Help please!

So, I have a 2007 350Z Roadster touring, with about 63,000 miles on it, manual transmission. Since winter arrived, I've been having a noise that usually happens on cold mornings. It reduces or goes away as the car gets driven for a few miles. I'm hoping someone else out there has had the same thing so I'm not taking a "shot in the dark" approach to getting it fixed.

- It is rotational
- increases in tone/pitch with changes in speed, but not tied to engine speed
- is intermittent, higher pitched, warble sound
- I think its coming from the front, but it's hard to tell
- It doesn't seem to be as rhythmic, regular, or rumbly as I would expect a wheel bearing to sound, but who knows, maybe wheel bearings on a 350 sound different than others?
- clutch in or out has no effect on the noise
- It's pretty loud and noticeable. Passengers don't have trouble picking it out when it's happening.
- Most common on cold mornings (40 degrees F or below usually). Warmer mornings it will either be very brief or not happen at all.
- Mechanic couldn't replicate after keeping it overnight and driving several times throughout the day, but thought it could be throw-out bearing. I had the clutch, and throw-out bearing replaced, and next AM, same noise is still happening (good news is that it turns out the throw-out bearing and clutch plate needed to be replaced anyway).

Any help or similar experience you can lend would be great! Thanks!
Old 01-08-2015, 09:08 AM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

I think I have the same sound, but I would describe it differently.
Yes only on super cold days (I'm in FL) NEver happens on a warm-ish day 60+ Deg. mostly happens below 50.
Gets louder on acceleration, clutch / brakes don't affect it.
Was happening before my long tube injen CAI. (and after)
Sounds more like blowing over the top of a bottle.
90% sure its the front.
No clue what It could be.

Last edited by NiLL; 01-08-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:09 PM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Transmission. the cold thick fluid is the culprit.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:24 PM
RoryATL

NiLL, yeah, that sounds pretty similar. Mine didn't start doing this until about 57K miles and only rarely. It's just been in the last 3 or 4K that its consistently every cold morning. Except in my case because it is tied to how fast the wheels are rolling, it is affected by the brakes (pitch goes lower when I'm moving slower, higher the faster I go, maxing out in pitch and volume around 40 mph)
Old 01-08-2015, 12:31 PM
RoryATL

Originally Posted by sportbiketed
sportbiketed, I was thinking that initially (throw-out bearing gone bad), except once that was replaced I noticed that the sound is not affected when the clutch is disengaged. If it was something else transmission related, wouldn't the clutch engagement have an effect?

Differential possibly?
Old 01-08-2015, 01:31 PM
RobinHood5

I have the same noise in my 2005 350z. I actually thought for a while that it was the wind blowing against a panel as it is a very high pitched noise that does not seem to be affected by speed/engine RPMs. It should be noted that if I let the car warm up for a few minutes before driving it I do not have the noise.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:44 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

RoryAtl, what you are describing, is the exact sound a wheel bearing ‘going bad’ would make as heard from inside the cabin of a 350Z. (“rotational, growling, warbling sound, that changes pitch with light application of the brakes”) If your mechanic thought that was a throw out bearing, you need a new mechanic. I doubt the clutch/TO bearing was really worn out at only 60,000 miles, given the flat terrain of Florida. The Zs around here are getting double and triple that mileage and we have some horrendous hills.

My 2004 roadster had the little ‘axel click problem’ repaired under warranty as per the factory TSB program, and they somehow wrecked the rear wheel bearing in the process. Even though it didn’t have any play in the wheel / axel junction it made that sound. The dealer apologized and replaced the bearing and it was good for 10 to 15 thousand more miles, then it started making the same sound again. This time grabbing the wheel one could feel some play in the bearing. (The big axel nut was loose.) Tightening the nut, slowly drawing the two halves of the bearing back together, then applying the recommended torque fixed it. It gave no more trouble after that. My point is that the bearing may exhibit some play, or no play at all, but still be the culprit.

Last edited by Jennifer 2; 01-08-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:54 PM
RoryATL

Originally Posted by RobinHood5
I have the same noise in my 2005 350z. I actually thought for a while that it was the wind blowing against a panel as it is a very high pitched noise that does not seem to be affected by speed/engine RPMs. It should be noted that if I let the car warm up for a few minutes before driving it I do not have the noise.
That sounds like it exactly, RobinHood5.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:10 PM
RoryATL

Originally Posted by Jennifer 2
RoryAtl, what you are describing, is the exact sound a wheel bearing ‘going bad’ would make as heard from inside the cabin of a 350Z. (“rotational, growling, warbling sound, that changes pitch with light application of the brakes”) If your mechanic thought that was a throw out bearing, you need a new mechanic. I doubt the clutch/TO bearing was really worn out at only 60,000 miles, given the flat terrain of Florida. The Zs around here are getting double and triple that mileage and we have some horrendous hills.

My 2004 roadster had the little ‘axel click problem’ repaired under warranty as per the factory TSB program, and they somehow wrecked the rear wheel bearing in the process. Even though it didn’t have any play in the wheel / axel junction it made that sound. The dealer apologized and replaced the bearing and it was good for 10 to 15 thousand more miles, then it started making the same sound again. This time grabbing the wheel one could feel some play in the bearing. (The big axel nut was loose.) Tightening the nut, slowly drawing the two halves of the bearing back together, then applying the recommended torque fixed it. It gave no more trouble after that. My point is that the bearing may exhibit some play, or no play at all, but still be the culprit.
Hi Jennifer 2. Thanks! I'll check that out. I didn't think it would be that because the pitch is high. I don't hear or feel any of that low rumble or growl, or can full of marbles sounds I've experienced with an old Toyota pickup I once had. But, everything else your describing sounds similar, even the little axel click problem.

I will say this in the mechanic's defense, the sound I'm talking about is intermittent, and the throw-out bearing and clutch plate did need to be replaced, so were making other sounds which are now gone. It hadn't started to slip yet, but I saw the worn plate, and rolled the throw-out bearing so I think he heard that noise, and assumed that's what I was trying to describe to him. Nothing to say he didn't show me some parts he keeps lying around to prove his work to customers, that didn't come from my car, but I think it's unlikely. I was surprised too it could be worn so soon as I don't abuse it. But, I have no idea how the first owner for he first 27K miles treated it.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:16 PM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My Z had the same issue, I came to the conclusion that it was something towards the rear of the transmission that was causing the sound. I never really looked into any deeper since it only happened in cold weather and the noise went away when the transmission was up to operating temp.

I first noticed the noise when I purchased the Z at 30k miles and it still sounded/performed the same after 60k miles of hard driving and drifting. IMO it's nothing to be concerned about.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:07 PM
soc_monki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a similar sound, and i know its my throw out bearing. started happening right after i got my car. it was very cold (in the teens, low 20s) and in the morning it would start this high pitched, whining, warbly sound in the transmission near the bellhousing. disengaging the clutch made it go away, and reengaging it made it come back. sound would become louder and higher pitched as i started to drive, but would go away after a mile or two, i assume because it warmed up. never makes a peep when warm, or are warm days.
this year its not nearly as bad. only starts making noise when i start driving, and for a much shorter duration. im guessing that its from being so cold, and the metal needs to warm up and expand a bit. no problems other than the noise so...? whatever...ill drive it until it needs to be replaced.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:37 AM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If it sounds like blowing air over a bottle top, have you considered that the tires might be cupping/feathering?

The description sure sounds like tire howl to me.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:31 AM
AARONHL

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sportbiketed
Exactly- this problem is the most common MT issue, been known for like a decade now

You need to use actual Nissan MT fluid and the noise will only happen at around 20 degrees outside, if you use anything different it will happen anytime it's 50 degree or under outside
Old 01-17-2015, 05:02 PM
soc_monki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AARONHL
Exactly- this problem is the most common MT issue, been known for like a decade now

You need to use actual Nissan MT fluid and the noise will only happen at around 20 degrees outside, if you use anything different it will happen anytime it's 50 degree or under outside
i only hear it when its that cold outside. i run redline fluid in my tranny.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:59 AM
RoryATL

Originally Posted by AARONHL

Thanks! I'll give that a shot. I did have a service at 60K that I couldn't say for sure if Nissan MT fluid was used or not. I'll do a flush and fill at Nissan dealer and see what happens. It sure would be great news if that was it as opposed to something more serious.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:02 AM
RoryATL

Originally Posted by myork
If it sounds like blowing air over a bottle top, have you considered that the tires might be cupping/feathering?

The description sure sounds like tire howl to me.

No, I don't think its tire cupping. It's not a consistent enough sound for that. Imagine sound of air blowing over a bottle top, but if one had like two bottles right next to each other, and one alternated back and forth between the two, sporadically producing to different octaves of sound; both of which increase in pitch with increasing speed.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:14 PM
TitaniumT8

I experience this same problem with my Z. I notice it usually when it is cold outside. It goes away after a mile or so.