Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Z owner, question about driving in snow.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 07:28 AM
JERZ350

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The only real limiting factors with the Z specifically and snow are

Ride Height
RWD

Other than that, I don't think it's a much different situation than any other car. Our cars have pretty good sensors to help you as much as they can to keep you on the road.

Ride Height - you can't really get around that. Keep it home if there's a lot of accumulation. And stay away from plowed chunks of snow/ice.

RWD - everyone knows RWD is not preferred over FWD in the snow. AWD obviously best. It is what it is. FWD, better front end control (pulling vs pushing), more weight on the front power driven wheel.

Last edited by JERZ350; 02-06-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:35 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by tommy smith
Good for you. I drive a rusted 99 Maxima in the winter. Front wheel drive is great, only up to 12" of snow..... After winter, FIRST $100 gets the Maxima
Sold
Old 02-06-2015, 09:47 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

I have had snow tires (Dunlop Winter Sport M3) for 3 winters now and it makes a huge difference compared to summer tires.

IMO it is great to have a set of winter tires for the Z; however, you should really only drive the Z in the snow if you HAVE to.

I have owned the car now for over 5 years and the first 2 winters I just had my one set of summer tires, and I got stuck multiple times in the snow. Then as I mentioned for the past 2 winters and this winter I have been using my snow tires and I never got stuck. Also, I have a daily now so I rarely drive the Z in the winter. Come to think about it, I think I drove it maybe 3 times since my wedding which was the middle of November.

Buy a set of used OEM wheels, preferably already with snow tires from the forum. That is what I did. Super cheap and gets the job done.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:30 PM
chriswagner92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

During sandy I got stuck at work when it started snowing, when I left the roads were but half hour in and the roads are covered. I lived up in Passaic county and worked in Sussex and had to drive rt 23 near Franklin to get home. I had to stop for a pickup in front of me, on a hill, in rush hour with blizzard. I was able to floor It in 4th and got enough grip to get going. I make it all to the end of my street which was flat and got stuck. Oh I forgot, all of this was on hankook v12s
Old 02-09-2015, 04:39 AM
gotgrip845

[. "One thing worth noting is that generally snow tires suck in the rain"
I disagree I always felt snow tires were excellent in the rain
Old 02-09-2015, 05:43 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by gotgrip845
Not quite.

The extra siping and closed tread is designed to bite snow. It was not designed to channel away water. This actually increases the chance of hydroplaning.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:59 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by gotgrip845
I believe you are correct. Here are some axioms for hydroplaning (aquaplaning):
  1. The wider the tire (all other things being equal), the more it will hydroplane.
  2. The lower the profile (all other things being equal), the more it will hydroplane.
  3. The more stiff the sidewall (all other things being equal), the more it will hydroplane.

The reasons drivers notice less hydroplaning with studless snow tires:
  1. They often run more narrow tires (215 to 225mm on snow tires vs. 245-285mm on summer tires).
  2. Many studless snow tires have a “block tread” that instantly clears water.

Also... Tread design can certainly affect aquaplaning. There are some snow tire designs that float quickly, as well as some summer performance tires that are very resistant to hydroplaning.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:49 AM
Syner

Closed block and siping would hold water, would it not?
Old 02-10-2015, 12:37 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by Syner
Closed block and siping would hold water, would it not?
I think that is correct.

I notice that siping isn’t common on modern studless snow tires. In fact you actually see tire stores offering this as a service for an additional charge. I certainly would not do this for the reason you mention. If you add siping to your thread, the small cuts won’t clear water and you increase aquaplaning.

The Dunlop studless snow tires I'm running now do not have siping, and the tread is an open block style. I don't have a problem with aquaplaning. --Spike
Old 02-10-2015, 12:40 PM
Syner

Originally Posted by Spike100
I think that is correct.

I notice that siping isn’t common on modern studless snow tires. In fact you actually see tire stores offering this as a service for an additional charge. I certainly would not do this for the reason you mention. If you add siping to your thread, the small cuts won’t clear water and you increase aquaplaning.

The Dunlop studless snow tires I'm running now do not have siping, and the tread is an open block style. I don't have a problem with aquaplaning. --Spike
In Canada, all quality snow/winter tires come standard with siping. We don't get a choice.

If it's different in America, please disregard my previous comment.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:12 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by Syner
In Canada, all quality snow/winter tires come standard with siping. We don't get a choice.

If it's different in America, please disregard my previous comment.
It is different here (USA). Tire manufacturers do not “cut” tires sent to USA outlets. There is no need for siping tires because modern compounds used in tire manufacturing provide a soft compound that adapts to the roadway without “cutting.”

--Spike
Old 02-10-2015, 10:07 PM
jonny992

anyone that tells u driving this in snow is a problem has never really driven in snow. I daily this in Canada with winter storms etc. just get some good winter tires. and u wont spin out in snow.

ice however is bad. one night all the rain froze over into black ice and I spun out n did a 360 in the middle of a street. luckly at that moment there was no on coming traffic or my car would of been totaled.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:05 PM
lumper1

Here in Ct, we are getting hammered with snow, the car SUCKS in the snow,SUCKS!

New tires, traction control or not, I have a manual shift, and on flat roads it isnt un-driveable, but hills ? my wife just had to park it 1 1/2 miles away and walk home.

If it is your only car, your daily driver and it snows alot where you live, you will be calling in a few times to work, school, whatever.

I have a Tiburon and a 4x4 chevy truck but both are out of commision at the moment so she took car to work and discovered she cant get home.

I suppose if you got real good snows or studs maybe it would improve, I dont know as I dont have either.
Lump
Old 02-17-2015, 07:27 AM
Osborn Wu

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
he has an auto...... read.
auto can do manual shift in this car
The following users liked this post:
SethY (10-26-2016)
Old 02-17-2015, 07:18 PM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jonny992
anyone that tells u driving this in snow is a problem has never really driven in snow.

^^^What he said

My G coupe was better & more predictable in the snow than my fwd Integra. Just remember to turn off the TCS/VDC or you are not going anywhere.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:24 AM
ryanmackk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Frostydc4
^^^What he said

My G coupe was better & more predictable in the snow than my fwd Integra. Just remember to turn off the TCS/VDC or you are not going anywhere.
I'm sorry but turning off TCS is absolute madness. Traction control is there to help you get traction! Do NOT turn off TCS. I daily my 350z and I live in Toronto, this winter has been brutal with a **** tonne of snowstorms.

Your 300 hp rear-wheel 245 tire car will spin the f out. TCS makes it so that the first instant your car slips, it cuts power to your drive wheels. If TCS is not there you will spin out. It is quite literally a life saver.

Maybe if you are stuck in some deep pow you can turn it off to get off the line, but even then, your wheels will spin and you will dig yourself deeper.

Other life savers:

- Sand bag in the trunk for weight and traction + Emergency relief (I keep mine just beside the spare under the carpet so it's hidden)
- Emergency shovel and traction pads

Then you're good to go.

TCS ON!
Old 02-25-2015, 11:27 AM
ryanmackk

Originally Posted by donsu
quick question, can you please send me a link to the exact Blizzaks that will fit my car? It's a 08 enthusiast automatic (if it means anything). Also , for the snow, are the Blizzaks my best bet or is there something better like yours? or do they do the same job just as good?
Blizzaks are highly rated tires. Specifically the WS80. Check out 1010tire dot com for reviews.

I ran Nordic this winter, which get better ratings than the Blizzaks, but my front went flat and I got Blizzaks in the front. Very good tires.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:30 AM
ryanmackk

Originally Posted by travlee
he has an auto...... read.
ugh.... TipTronic much?

Off the line you can only be in 1st, then at 5 mph+ you can be in second, then at 20 mph you can be in 3rd.

It's possible to keep the rpms low in an automatic.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:33 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,046 Likes on 6,512 Posts

i will give you that one.....
Old 10-19-2016, 05:01 PM
Regu Av Pommern

Hey guys. If I plan to only drive when it is not snowing during winter, do I still need Blizzaks, will it be dangerous. I think I will get a rental for snow, icy days. I mean if I have to, I will have to, then. I want to be safe and keep my beautiful machine intact.

Quick Reply: New Z owner, question about driving in snow.