Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Z owner, question about driving in snow.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 02:06 PM
donsu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Z owner, question about driving in snow.

I have just purchased a 08 350z and Ill keep this question short. My street is usually always plowed when it snows and the i shovel my drive way when it snows as well. With a set of snow tires, Blizzaks? I believe people say are the best, and driving with caution, should I actually have a problem driving in the snow? Also, the car is automatic if that makes any difference (dont hate me )
Old 02-05-2015, 02:25 PM
tommy smith

Originally Posted by donsu
I have just purchased a 08 350z and Ill keep this question short. My street is usually always plowed when it snows and the i shovel my drive way when it snows as well. With a set of snow tires, Blizzaks? I believe people say are the best, and driving with caution, should I actually have a problem driving in the snow? Also, the car is automatic if that makes any difference (dont hate me )
I drive sometimes in the winter with all season tires but only when the roads are free of snow/ice. No matter what's in the rear, the car can easily be spun....
Old 02-05-2015, 02:26 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lol.

I tried driving my z in winter with those snow tires and it didn't go well.

You mind as well get a beater.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:12 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

There is no reason not to drive your 350z during the winter in snow and on ice. I’ve done this for 9 winters in my 350z. You must mount studless snow tires at all four corners (you need to stop as well as go, and studless snow tires also aid greatly when turning in snow and on ice).

I equipped my car with a dedicated winter wheel/tire setup. I have Dunlop Graspic DS-2 studless tires, 225/55-17” all-square. The Blizzaks you mention will do the job.

Traction is all about selecting the appropriate tires and tread for the conditions.

--Spike
Old 02-05-2015, 03:23 PM
tommy smith

Default That's a lot of money & work

Originally Posted by Spike100
There is no reason not to drive your 350z during the winter in snow and on ice. I’ve done this for 9 winters in my 350z. You must mount studless snow tires at all four corners (you need to stop as well as go, and studless snow tires also aid greatly when turning in snow and on ice).

I equipped my car with a dedicated winter wheel/tire setup. I have Dunlop Graspic DS-2 studless tires, 225/55-17” all-square. The Blizzaks you mention will do the job.

Traction is all about selecting the appropriate tires and tread for the conditions.

--Spike
Good for you. I drive a rusted 99 Maxima in the winter. Front wheel drive is great, only up to 12" of snow..... After winter, FIRST $100 gets the Maxima
Old 02-05-2015, 03:23 PM
donsu

--Spike
quick question, can you please send me a link to the exact Blizzaks that will fit my car? It's a 08 enthusiast automatic (if it means anything). Also , for the snow, are the Blizzaks my best bet or is there something better like yours? or do they do the same job just as good?
Old 02-05-2015, 04:15 PM
outlaw9259

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Think the tire part was covered here but some things to keep better control from my experience.

Some advise I like to point out and if people like to add or correct thanks

Keep the rpm low try to switch gears under or near 2 k and stay around there. For corners try to give it alittle gas and let it roll around the corner and press the gas when you wheels are parallel to your rears. Carry a smAll shovel and some old car floor mats if you have for if you Ever stuck in slush.
All you do is clear the snow front of the rear and place the matts and drive over it.
Try to avoid hills with traffic lights
always keep car moving because traction is hard to get back after a full stop
And I bet you know follow the tire tracks

Not sure if everyone will agrees with me.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:19 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

Originally Posted by outlaw9259
I Think the tire part was covered here but some things to keep better control from my experience.

Keep the rpm low try to switch gears under or near 2 k and stay around there. For corners try to give it alittle gas and let it roll around the corner and press the gas when you wheels are parallel to your rears. Carry a smAll shovel and some old car floor mats if you have for if you Ever stuck in slush.
All you do is clear the snow front of the rear and place the matts and drive over it.

he has an auto...... read.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:42 PM
Spike100

I just drive my 350z (equipped with studless snow tires) carefully (but without all the fuss you mention) in the snow and on ice. Never had a problem.

--Spike

Originally Posted by outlaw9259

Old 02-05-2015, 04:54 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You also need to factor in the ground clearance.. It's very very low. Generally if the roads are not plowed you're not going anywhere.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:05 PM
Spike100

The OEM sizes for 17” wheels (typical size for winter tires) is:

225/50-17” front and 235/50-17” rear

Blizzaks are as good as anything for studless snow tires.

Originally Posted by donsu
quick question, can you please send me a link to the exact Blizzaks that will fit my car? It's a 08 enthusiast automatic (if it means anything). Also , for the snow, are the Blizzaks my best bet or is there something better like yours? or do they do the same job just as good?
Old 02-05-2015, 05:27 PM
Spike100

The 350z isn’t very low. Stock clearance is 120mm (4.7”). That means you can drive your Z during typical winter snow storms, but not in blizzards (during which you should not drive any car or truck unless there is an emergency). --Spike

Originally Posted by oldschool350z
You also need to factor in the ground clearance.. It's very very low. Generally if the roads are not plowed you're not going anywhere.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:00 PM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

I also drove my Zs in the snow, I think I drove a total of 5 years. Funny thing is I never got snow tires I always got performance winter tires, I like my speed and did not want to be limited by my tires lol. One thing worth noting is that generally snow tires suck in the rain, the last set of performance winters I got were awesome in everything except for really deep snow. I liked them so much they never came off the car, I used them in the summer as well, tires were Michelin Alpin PA3. If you have TCS or VDC it really should be easy, just take it slow. What model Z do you have?
Old 02-06-2015, 03:03 AM
aboveliquidice

The 350z isn’t very low. Stock clearance is 120mm (4.7”). That means you can drive your Z during typical winter snow storms, but not in blizzards (during which you should not drive any car or truck unless there is an emergency). --Spike
Relative... In a location full of 4x4s / SUVs, the snow "bricks" that fly off other vehicles are boulders to the Z. Clearance is an issue that you have to factor in the Z. I don't factor the same issues with my wife's Q5
Old 02-06-2015, 04:48 AM
crskillz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've been driving my Z in the snow for the last 5 years and haven't had any problems. From Nov - March/April I use my winter tire set up- Blizzacks. This year I'm running Pirelli Sottozero 3 (Blizzacks were sold out). Car drives great in the snow. Just use common sense.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:00 AM
TEF

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Assuming you're living somewhere that gets snow only once in awhile, leave it home on those days. On the other hand should it snow often, then get a daily driver that works in snow. You'll spend a fortune for snow tires and the car is just too low for deep snow and those icy blocks that fall of cars and trucks. Those will do some expensive damage to the front and underside of your "Z". Moreover, even the narrowest snow tires for your car are still too wide to cut through snow. Instead the "Z" will ride up on snow and slush and you're steering will wash out giving you little control and braking. SUV's are tall for a reason and anybody ever watching the WRC will recognize that in snow, those cars use the narrowest tires (with huge spikes) to maximize their control. BTW, those cars have all-wheel drive. Sorry to sound so negative, but I live in a place that often leads the charts in annual snowfall, so please don't make your "Z" do something it's not designed to do.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:24 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I drive mine 24/7/365 - Blizzaks 225/18/45 on the stock rims on my '03. Those tires make a big difference in the cold even without any snow. Up to 8 inches or so you should have no problems. Just keep it a bit less than "spirited" lol. I do keep the '90 300TT under wraps in the winter though - only 75,000 miles and has never seen snow so why start now?
Old 02-06-2015, 06:27 AM
JERZ350

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As already said.... tires makes the biggest difference. Z's are very low, so any accumulation higher than a couple inches is a no go, unless you want to start plowing. Also you have to watch for ice chunks, softball size. Cars are so low you can damage the undercarage/front fascia.

Try not to accelerate at all until you are through the turns and going straight again. The *** end will slide out very easily. I'm guessing Z's are pretty light in the back for being a RWD? I don't advise adding weight in the back, more trouble than it's worth and you'll probably just end up messing something up.

My biggest issue (I use all seasons) are inclines. Sadly any grade incline can be disastrous. I'm guessing because of the weight ratio in the back. My driveway with any amount of snow/ice on it....I have to literally back up and get a running start to fly up my driveway. Not fun as you approach your house/garage
Old 02-06-2015, 07:02 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by JERZ350
As already said.... tires makes the biggest difference. Z's are very low, so any accumulation higher than a couple inches is a no go, unless you want to start plowing. Also you have to watch for ice chunks, softball size. Cars are so low you can damage the undercarage/front fascia.

Try not to accelerate at all until you are through the turns and going straight again. The *** end will slide out very easily. I'm guessing Z's are pretty light in the back for being a RWD? I don't advise adding weight in the back, more trouble than it's worth and you'll probably just end up messing something up.

My biggest issue (I use all seasons) are inclines. Sadly any grade incline can be disastrous. I'm guessing because of the weight ratio in the back. My driveway with any amount of snow/ice on it....I have to literally back up and get a running start to fly up my driveway. Not fun as you approach your house/garage
53/47 weight distribution
Old 02-06-2015, 07:17 AM
1upZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For winter/snow I have Goodyear ultra grip ice tires (235/45 all around) on oem touring v1 wheels. The Z will still slide around corners but it's always predictable and will straighten itself out the instant I let up on the gas.

Quick Reply: New Z owner, question about driving in snow.