Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best place to sell Z

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 06:57 AM
joedp2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best place to sell Z

My apologies in advance if this should be posted somewhere else. I am not selling my car at the moment, but I am thinking about doing so later this year or next year, depending upon when I decide to bite the bullet and get myself a newer car.

My question is: when I decide it is time, what does everyone think would be the best way to sell the car? I know there is a cars for sale section on this forum, but I don't know how useful it is. Would Autotrader be better? Or Ebay? All of the above? The only thing I don't want to do is trade in with a dealer, since I want to make sure it goes to a good home with a new owner who will appreciate it as much as I have.

No rush, since it could be another year or even more before I actually do this, but I like to plan ahead. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:23 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

All of the above but stay away from Facebook
Old 02-15-2015, 08:37 AM
Freise

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I've bought and sold cars on craigslist several times. In my opinion, if you've got the time and negotiating skills, it can be the best price-wise. But be warned, when it comes to selling you will get flooded with trade offers, low *****, tire kickers, joyriders, and deals that fall through. It can be excruciatingly frustrating but when it was all said and done I ended up with quite a bit more than the dealer was going to give on trade in, got a say on the home it went to, and best of all sold it at a higher price than I bought it for.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:04 AM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

If you don't want any hassles, I've sold to Carmax before. Very easy and quick process with fair pricing.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:31 AM
Zmandriving

I sold my old vw on autotrader.com before I bought my Z. I sold it to first responder that came over test drove it and then 12 hours later it was sold. I think if you go the route of listing it on the internet go with a reputable site.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:13 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Auto trader and craigslist or great. Facebook can work in the right group.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:20 AM
joedp2

Thanks, everyone.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:40 AM
Bama J

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also recommend Craigslist. Hey it's free so you got nothing to lose. I've bought and sold cars, boats, motorcycles, RV's, electronics, appliances, furniture, you name it on CL and never had any issues. You do have to put up with some riff-raff but it you take some good pictures of the car and take the time to write up a thorough description it'll eliminate some of the back and forth. Just try to answer any questions a buyer may have in your description.

Main thing to lookout for is spam/scam responses. Craigslist has gotten better about weeding these out but they still sometimes get through. Most of them nowadays (via text) will come from an out of state number and it'll quote the title of the ad, then ask a general question like "what is the condition" or "do you still have item for sale". Just delete these and move on.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:43 AM
Bama J

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, you can list on eBay as a Classified (not an auction) for free. Anyone within 200 miles of your zip code will see it in their results when searching. I sold a truck this way once. A guy from Atlanta (4 hours away) drove up with a wad of cash and drove it home. Easy peezy.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:22 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've sold about 3 cars on eBay and 7 on crsigslist. Be warned, selling the z on Craig's list can be a hassle.

When I had mine listed I kept getting nothing but lowballs and the car was already priced to sell. I was having people call and offer $7,000. Those that came to look at it wanted a free test drive and beat the **** out of it.

Most people that are on Craig's list have lower income and are looking for cheap cars.

List it on autotrader.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:10 PM
monztr

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was shopping I watched, ebay, craigslist, autotrader and cars.com. I would start by seeing what carmax offers you for the ar, and anything you can get above that is bonus, too many sellers think their 03 with 120k on the clock is still worth north of $10k and it isn't, look at the other cars on the market and know that if you want to sell you need to be on the lower end of the scale.