Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Help, Problem with car, returning to dealer!

Old 02-27-2015, 05:26 PM
raider89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, Problem with car, returning to dealer!

I went to a car lot and got financed for a 2003 350z.

Here is the link from the website http://www.mgmimports.com/vehicle-de...aa07fa32e1e71/

It says enthusiast, didn't think much of it not being that, today is the 3rd day having it, realized today after my whole back end came flying out I had no traction control, so looked for a switch found nothing.

After much a small search I seen what a base model is.

As you can see from these pictures, the steering wheel has no buttons for cruise control, no buttons for TCS and no aluminum pedals.

I paid almost 10k for this car with a huge *** interest rate to come to like 15k after interest.

I went back today and was like I'd like to see if you have any other cars, if not im just going to return the car.

They said they can take the car back but I would have to pay the taxes and I wouldn't get the taxes back from the purchase which was 700 and some change.

I put 1700 down so I would only get back little less than a 1000.

Is that illegal can they do that? If I cant find a car there are they required to refund my deposit in full?

The owner was constantly saying the website takes the vin and breaks the numbers and letters down and puts the trim on the website by itself from the information it gets from the car dealerships or dealers online and that it isn't his fault it says that.

I am new to the 350z's I had done little research on trim models, but didnt think I would have to check the trim from what they said it was.

Last edited by raider89; 02-27-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:40 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

if i remember correctly, enthusiast and track models don't have tcs or vdc, but i didn't think they came with leather either (although previous owners could have done that)

if you return it, why would you have to pay taxes, he is trying to f*ck you. to me it looks like a small POS dealership, did you let them finance or get a bank to? check state laws on car purchases. the dealership i bought my corvette from said i could bring it back within 7 days or 1k miles with no questions asked for a full refund
Old 02-27-2015, 05:43 PM
travlee
Master

after looking at their inventory, i noticed that most of their cars are close to the 100k mark.... to me that means they aren't reputable and more than likely shady
Old 02-27-2015, 05:51 PM
raider89

They went through there bank to finance the vehicle. I plan on returning it.

Although, I believe I need to seek legal advice if they don't want to give me all of my down payment back.

Last edited by SR71; 02-27-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:00 PM
travlee
Master

you need to read the contract with finance company very very carefully
Old 02-27-2015, 07:16 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Have a lawyer look at the contract
Old 02-27-2015, 10:41 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Each state is a little different, but the car dealer might be correct about the sales tax. A quick trip to the local DMV will give you the definitive answer. A lawyer could go through all the steps and procedures and recover the $700; should only cost you a few thousand and two years to accomplish. A one man storefront law firm could write an impressive demand letter pointing out how the loss of the sales tax was totally due the car dealer’s negligence. However this type of car lot probably gets one of these threatening notices every week. Their initial response would be to just wait you out for 5 or 6 months until you give up not wanting to spend more money pursuing it.

I think most lawyers would suggest that this is a perfect case for small claims court. The judges who run these courts take a very dim view of car dealers who misrepresent product. You can look up the percentage of success against car dealers, it’s very high. It is also a big hassle for the dealer to appear in court. If you show you’re organized and are about to, or have already filled the case, you may find the dealer will relent.

An Enthusiast model is quite a lot more car than a Base model. Off the top of my head it has HID headlights, cruise control, traction control and a limited slip differential. However if you like this car and it runs well, maybe you could suggest keeping it if they refund some of the purchase price to you. This would eliminate the dispute over the sales tax refund and give you some mod money.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:39 AM
rearranged

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

It's a base model. Looked it up on this website
You gotta be careful buying from small car lots. The first z I bought was a "track" model, which turned out to be a touring model. I bought it and drove it home 50 miles and the next morning it broke down 2 miles from my house. I had owned the car for 12 hours at that point. I called them that day and they had it towed to their mechanic, who ended up saying it needed a new motor. They tried to talk me into a different vehicle but I left that day with a check for the full amount.

Last edited by rearranged; 02-28-2015 at 01:46 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:39 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

The Kelley Blue Book price difference between a Base model and an Enthusiast is approximately $900. You did not drastically over pay for your car.You might try to negotiate a price reduction of about $1000 and consider keeping the car.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:48 AM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

You may want to reconsider returning the car. The car appears to be in very good condition, and it has a couple of nice upgrades :
  • Aftermarket H/U and speakers
  • Leather seats
It’s a Base model, but adding a good sound system and leather seats improves the car. The downside is you don’t have TCS/LSD or Cruise Control. I don’t believe you can add Cruise Control to a Base model, and you will definitely miss TCS/LSD if you plan driving the car in the winter (in Ohio).

EDIT: If the dealer is willing to return a $1,000, you should be OK. You actually paid the sales tax; the dealer simply collected and deposited the tax. If the dealer voids the sale, you should be able to recover the tax from your State (and local if you paid an additional local tax) revenue department.

Last edited by Spike100; 02-28-2015 at 08:11 AM. Reason: to elaborate on the tax recovery
Old 02-28-2015, 11:27 AM
n0smoke

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Not to mention the car has probably been in a front end collision. The front bumper is 06+ and doesn't match. The fenders, hood, front bumper, and headlights all have horrible alignment. I guess it 'MAY' have been an elective upgrade by the previous owner. But it more than likely had some kind of front end collision and they opted to get 06+ stuff.

It may be fine, but I would assume a price slash for something that's obviously not original and questionable at best. Especially considering the kind of car and how they're driven.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:32 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

The headlights fitment does look off slightly (especially on the right headlight), but it looks to me that the previous owner swapped in 2006 headlights (maybe to get Xenon headlights).

The Carfax report would have included front end damage.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:13 PM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

My base was sold to me as an enthusiast. Easy fix. Got a VLSD. Traction control is for women.

Like others said, the difference is minimal. Up to you if you want to keep the car.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:48 PM
Dallasmavs92

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good lord, why did you buy that car?
It's a base...
06+ bumper...
The hood and each fender have huge gaps..
Trunk looks off
Front bumpers wayyy off, making the headlights look crooked..
92k miles...
Speaker grilles are GONE...
Black stockers
Blacked taillights...
And worse of all, THAT PRICE! Holy cow...

Good luck sorting all that out..
Old 02-28-2015, 07:20 PM
n0smoke

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

This also looks suspect...
Old 02-28-2015, 08:40 PM
FairladyBlue

im honestly shocked that after looking at those pics you wanted that rebuilt pos.. do you wear glasses or something ? also, carfax is useless because half the time accidents arent reported to them
Old 02-28-2015, 10:10 PM
jonny992

i bought a 08 with like 54 k half year andso far put 3k miles on it. I paid 16 k cash for it. So far I've had no problems and I push the car like crazy. when I purchased it I bought with me a mechanic who was also a family member. I looked at 2 Z the frist one was a really good rebuilt that I didn't even know until he told me it was a rebuilt. so I went with him to look at another Z and I ended up getting an 08 with no problems, no troubles, and no regerts.

this would of been a big no no tho. a rebuilt is never a good choice. especially one done so poorly.

heres a 07 Z that was a good rebuilt. I was planning to get it but it ended up to be a rebuilt so I said f*ck it.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true

Last edited by jonny992; 03-01-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:15 PM
Golden_Armz

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

cant be base, it has leather seats. and yea i learned my lesson from buying from small lots. they are shady *** hell. look at all the uneven lines on the hood and headlights. it could have been in a collision. do you even know if it has a clean title? that car just looks shady to begin with.

anyone notice the huge gap on the right side of the hood? that gap is huge, and if you look on the left side, theres barely any gap... how did you not notice this?

Last edited by SR71; 03-01-2015 at 04:28 PM. Reason: merged
Old 03-01-2015, 04:30 PM
SR71
Lead Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 305 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Golden_Armz
cant be base, it has leather seats. and yea i learned my lesson from buying from small lots. they are shady *** hell. look at all the uneven lines on the hood and headlights. it could have been in a collision. do you even know if it has a clean title? that car just looks shady to begin with.

anyone notice the huge gap on the right side of the hood? that gap is huge, and if you look on the left side, theres barely any gap... how did you not notice this?
It's a base, it doesn't have cruise control. Lots of dealers and owners have added leather to base cars, downgrading the steering wheel to a base model would be a pretty rare swap.

Not to mention no VDC or TCS buttons and rubber pedals.

Last edited by SR71; 03-01-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:03 PM
monztr

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You went in as uneducated buyer and made a choice. It was your responsibility as a consumer to inspect the car they offered for sale and to accept or reject it by purchasing it or not. One could make the argument that they misrepresented the trim level of the car but being only a trim level discrepancy I doubt you'll get anywhere with it. I know form my owns searches 90% of the cars advertised as track models are not.

Each state has their own Lemon Laws regarding car sales, In KY and most states there is a 3 day right of rescission, check with your local lemon laws.

In many states there is also a 3 day right of rescission on any loan. Might want to talk to your lender.

If they accept the car back there is no sales tax as there was no sale, check with your secretary of state and DMV for requirements the dealers must adhere to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help, Problem with car, returning to dealer!