Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

New 350z owner, having a few problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 12:03 PM
RM10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 350z owner, having a few problems

I just picked up my 2005 touring 350z a couple days ago and so far I have been very pleased with it. It's even better than I thought it would be haha. However I have noticed a couple things from driving it around the past few days which has made me concerned.

The biggest issue I noticed was a loud squeaky sound (I think it's from one of the belts) which I haven't been able to find out what causes it, but I believe it has something to do with the AC. Although I have noticed it when the AC was off, especially when braking or turning.

The second issue is the PSI warning keeps on blinking even after I filled every tire to at least 32 PSI.

The last time I was driving it turned the car off while I was waiting for someone and I heard a clicking sound from the middle/rear of the car. It would click about ever second or two, and eventually went away after 5 or so minutes.

Also for this last "problem" I might be looking for problems where there are none, but I just wanted to make sure I didn't damage the car. There was a big uneven bump in the road which was impossible to avoid, so I went slowly over it and I heard a terrible screeching/grinding sound from underneath the car. Shortly after I smelled gasoline (could've been just me) but that quickly went away. Do you guys think this damaged the car in anyway?

Do you guys have any suggestions as to what I should do or what the problem may be for these problems?

Thanks.

Last edited by RM10; 03-03-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:32 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

Welcome- the problems you list a pretty run-of-the-mill. First, the squeeling sound you hear is probably just the drive belt being too loose. Either adjust or replace it (depending on mileage; should have been done at 60K) and use the DIY section on here to learn how. The second issue with your TPMS is likely one or more of the TPMS units in your tires have gone kaput and you'll need to replace them. Try going to your local tire store and see if they can "read" the TPMS units and see which ones are defective. They cannot be repaired, only replaced. Finally, you should probably learn to work on your own car to check on whether or not you screwed something up. Jack the car up and support it on jackstands before you crawl underneath and look around. Who knows? Maybe you damaged something important, but whatever it is, you'll be able to better diagnose it than asking on an internet board.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:13 PM
FairladyBlue

Originally Posted by RM10
Do you guys have any suggestions as to what I should do or what the problem may be for these problems? Thanks.
if you're not willing to be a do it yourselfer, or at least inspect your own car, my advice is to simply take your car to a shop
Old 03-03-2015, 03:55 PM
RM10

Thanks for the replies. I'll take a look again tomorrow. I'm still working my way around to getting to know the 350z so I posted these problems to see if these were common problems. Which apparently the squeaky belt, clicking, and PSI being off are all common problems. The thing I was really worried about was the grinding noise after that bump. I've never driven a car this low before so I was really worried I might've hit something underneath the car. Could a hit against a somewhat high bump cause significant damage? I'm not sure what that gasoline smell was, but I didn't see a leak or anything like that. Also the drive after the bump was just as it was before, no sounds or anything. Maybe I'm just overreacting since I just got the car haha. Thanks again.

Last edited by RM10; 03-03-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:18 AM
CNunes_95

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RM10
Thanks for the replies. I'll take a look again tomorrow. I'm still working my way around to getting to know the 350z so I posted these problems to see if these were common problems. Which apparently the squeaky belt, clicking, and PSI being off are all common problems. The thing I was really worried about was the grinding noise after that bump. I've never driven a car this low before so I was really worried I might've hit something underneath the car. Could a hit against a somewhat high bump cause significant damage? I'm not sure what that gasoline smell was, but I didn't see a leak or anything like that. Also the drive after the bump was just as it was before, no sounds or anything. Maybe I'm just overreacting since I just got the car haha. Thanks again.
Is the car lowered at all or is it at stock height? If you hit a bad pot hole, you probably just scraped the ground. Most likely, the exhaust scraped the ground. If there aren't any leaks, you should be perfectly fine. The gasoline smell was probably from some other car or something around you idk lol But it doesn't hurt to put the car on jack stands and look around for anything that might be bent, out of place, or damaged. Just check to see if everything looks the way it should be. Take a look at your belt too. If it looks worn, chipped, torn, or rusted, just swap it out with a new belt, since you'll probably end up doing that at some point any way. Seems like your TPMS' might be going bad. Either get that serviced at a shop, like a firestone, or just buy new ones and put them in yourself. Just do your research on DIY videos and what not. Just general maintenance really, nothing drastic. For replacement parts, I like to use rockauto.com. The prices for good quality parts on there could not be beaten and they have literally almost every part you could think of. Just keep an eye out for nasty potholes next time. Z's aren't meant to handle them all that well lol

Last edited by CNunes_95; 03-04-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:12 AM
TitaniumT8

My Z was squealing at start up and first few seconds of movement for a little while. Around this time (December 2014) my brother's G coupe was doing the same. He had his serpentine and AC belts replaced. I had mine adjusted. Problem solved for both of us. He has about 60K miles. I just hit 91K.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:22 AM
BuildingDreams

1 Belt
2 bad sensor
3 exhaust cooling down
4 you have to check but I doubt is something serious specially gas related otherwise you would have a mil with either evap codes or fuel pressure